Cracked Open The First One!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCHForever

Reaction score
After a week of anxiously waiting, I cracked open my first bottle of my own homebrew! I was nervous as the bottle opener neared the cap as my biggest fear was that I messed up the priming sugar (honey). As the cap lifted off, I heard the tell-tale woosh of CO2 escaping and my fears subsided. The beer was very carbonated and was a lot clearer than I expected. It tasted great and I am excited for what it will taste like after a couple more weeks of conditioning.

I plan on tasting another one next week, and then again at week three just to learn the changes that happen as it conditions! It's a basic American Wheat Beer recipe that I got from my LHBS. Currently in the fermenter is a Blueberry Wheat recipe that I found here and I am really excited for that one but it's still a month plus away.

Thanks to all for all of your contributions to the few questions I have and I have learned much more after reading through this site!

I can now officially RDWDAHB!

Cheers!

Congrats on a successful first brew. Wheat beers don't need as much conditioning time as ales. Two weeks should be fine (bottle conditioning), but keep us informed. Pete

+1 to what petey said. Drink those suckers young. When I brew wheat beers, I drink them after two weeks of conditioning.

I well remember the first "whoosh" from the first bottle of my own homebrew. A great sound...and one you'll remember for a long time! Enjoy!

glenn514:mug:

It's a good feeling hearing that hiss from the first one you open, isn't it? In fact, it never gets old. Santé!

such a great feeling! I cracked open and tasted my first 4 brews I made. First 2 batches started on June 2nd the other 2 a week later. A cream ale, apricot blonde, a belgian white, and a blueberry braggot style ( i think) the last one was a whole different story .... had to salvage that batch with what was on hand at the time. Extract was old and moldy only had 3lbs of DME left added 3 lbs of honey and did a 3 gallon batch then racked onto 3 cans of Oregon blueberries in secondary. Surprisingly tasty but under carrbed as of last week. will try again tomorrow.

mrwaffles said:
such a great feeling! I cracked open and tasted my first 4 brews I made. First 2 batches started on June 2nd the other 2 a week later. A cream ale, apricot blonde, a belgian white, and a blueberry braggot style ( i think) the last one was a whole different story .... had to salvage that batch with what was on hand at the time. Extract was old and moldy only had 3lbs of DME left added 3 lbs of honey and did a 3 gallon batch then racked onto 3 cans of Oregon blueberries in secondary. Surprisingly tasty but under carrbed as of last week. will try again tomorrow.

It's definitely the perfect time for Oregon blueberries. My current batch is in primary with about 3 cups of blueberries and I will be adding some more next week! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back