COVID-19/ Can't get a drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Here in PA they're saying the state run liquor stores may be closed. DC, Ohio and Illinois have ordered bars closed because of the Corona virus.
What's going on in your state?
Perhaps this is the time for everyone to be a homebrewer?

In Arkansas all the liquor stores are privately owned and haven’t been affected. I haven’t heard of any bars shutting down, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time. I guess some may have already and I just didn’t get the memo since my garage is the only bar I go to anymore. I declared it, corona free, years ago.

Lots of hard booze at Costco but no toilet paper. Lots of liquor at the tribal store, and supermarkets. I already have a well stocked supply, no need to horde but I did visit the tribal store for something I didn't have. I asked the nice lady if there had been an end of the world run on booze. She said business has been less than normal since this started.

As for me, I'm filling my co2 tomorrow. Plenty of grain, hops, and dry yeast on hand. I did buy two more ball lock kegs to keep a good pipeline. I also bought a few of my favorite German and Belgian beers just in case Europe shutting down affects the supply.

The latest rumor I heard about Washington is that the state or areas of the state might be put into isolation. I don't see how they could do this without declaring martial law so I write it off as tin foil hat stuff. With that said never say never.

If the bars and taverns get closed down there will be a run on booze.

Tonight I’m gonna do an inventory check on my grains. May have to pick up a sack of 2 row and maybe a few bags of hops at the lhbs.
This isn’t because I’m afraid of a booze shortage. It because I may have some extra time on my hands.

And the governor of Washington just declared that all bars and restaurants will be closed for the next two weeks. No more than 50 people in a gathering.

The beer and booze rush will start tomorrow imo.

The latest rumor I heard about Washington is that the state or areas of the state might be put into isolation. I don't see how they could do this without declaring martial law so I write it off as tin foil hat stuff. With that said never say never.

FB_IMG_1584328327091.jpg

It sucks to be one of those mortals who is incapable of producing their own alcoholic beverages! Tsk tsk.

I have about 50 gallons of cider and perry aging in Carboys currently from home pressed cider apples last fall.

A couple of weeks ago I joked with my wife that if s**t hits the fan, we can barter for food etc. Now, I’m doing the mental math of how much I could trade it for.

It sucks to be one of those mortals who is incapable of producing their own alcoholic beverages! Tsk tsk.

I have about 50 gallons of cider and perry aging in Carboys currently from home pressed cider apples last fall.

A couple of weeks ago I joked with my wife that if s**t hits the fan, we can barter for food etc. Now, I’m doing the mental math of how much I could trade it for.

I’m thinking I’d trade a pint of Cider for a case of chips and keep the rest!
:yes:

Apparently there was a run on grains at Adventures in Homebrewing yeserday, I needed some corn for the pilsner and he said it was crazy just an hour before I was there.

Lucky me, headed to MO from MI

California bars and pubs are recommended to close and many are closed, some proactively and some due to the notice from the governor. Restaurants are also encouraged to operate at half capacity as well.

Fortunately, I have been stock piling booze since I joined the FotD and FotHB. I have more beer that I can drink : )

Hello from the Great State of Washington, where the schools (public & private) are closed until 4/24, bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues are closed until the 31st, and they haven't ordered us to hunker down at home and stay there yet like San Fran. So the number of coronavirus cases keeps climbing. Oh and we can't go to Canada anymore. Kinda hoping my business shuts down for a week; I'm salary and can work from home, and the husband's job (pharmaceutical wholesaler) is considered an essential business and won't close, so bring on the unplanned vacation....

Hello from the Great State of Washington, where the schools (public & private) are closed until 4/24, bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues are closed until the 31st, and they haven't ordered us to hunker down at home and stay there yet like San Fran. So the number of coronavirus cases keeps climbing. Oh and we can't go to Canada anymore. Kinda hoping my business shuts down for a week; I'm salary and can work from home, and the husband's job (pharmaceutical wholesaler) is considered an essential business and won't close, so bring on the unplanned vacation....

San Fran. is just one of many cities/counties on shelter in place here in California. Six of the Bay Area counties went down first, then a few cities as you go south, and then Monterey County as of today/yesterday.

Honestly, I wish we shuttered the doors and turned off the lights; however, it's not going to happen. I've been working from home for four years, and my side of the business isn't slowing down any time soon (it can't). Other parts of the business, however, I don't know...we'll see. I would love to kick back for a few weeks and just enjoy the quiet time, but I won't hold my breath.

Meanwhile, others like my parents (a diner waitress and assembly line worker out on personal disability since last summer) are struggling. She just told me with excitement that she gets six hours on Sunday to do to-go orders...she won't stop until she kills over.

Many bars around here (east Tennessee) are closing. Most of the small breweries have either reduced their tap room hours or are only doing to-go sales only. The closest one to me just opened 2 months ago and I'm worried they may not survive the financial hit if this drags on. I'm going to go get a growler tomorrow just to try an help them out a little, even though I've got plenty of homebrew on tap and in the pipeline.

I’m thinking I’d trade a pint of Cider for a case of chips and keep the rest!
:yes:

That's mel tillis (if you didn't know) with terry bradshaw. Mel was a profound stutterer (except when he sang) which explains his staccato delivery in that clip. I didn't remember him from that movie, maybe watch again some day.

Regarding the topic, I suspect that homebrewing will see an uptick during this time. It's a pretty constant tick around this home though :)

Many bars around here (east Tennessee) are closing. Most of the small breweries have either reduced their tap room hours or are only doing to-go sales only. The closest one to me just opened 2 months ago and I'm worried they may not survive the financial hit if this drags on. I'm going to go get a growler tomorrow just to try an help them out a little, even though I've got plenty of homebrew on tap and in the pipeline.

East TN too. What part?

That's mel tillis (if you didn't know) with terry bradshaw. Mel was a profound stutterer (except when he sang) which explains his staccato delivery in that clip. I didn't remember him from that movie, maybe watch again some day.

Regarding the topic, I suspect that homebrewing will see an uptick during this time. It's a pretty constant tick around this home though :)

Yep, 80% of that cast was household names. Loved Mel Tillis for sure. RIP (also most of the cast by now)

Well they finally dug into the booze here. As of today, restaurants are only allowed to serve via take out. Not a big deal but bars and restaurants are not allowed to sell alcohol to go. Essential, bars are now closed for the duration.

It’s unofficial, but I have heard from a few sources they will not be enforcing liquor licenses At least in Livonia, so beer delivery will be a thing for a short while for us here.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'd rather ask it now, then not, and regret it later.

I've been reading the virus can live on cardboard for up to 24hrs and plastic/stainless steel for 2-3 days (even read up to 8 days on that, but don't know if that's been debunked). I'd like to order a sack of 2row and some hops, so what precautions (if any) should I take?

I, along with my son, are in the high risk group (asthma), so I wanted to ask. I read about our first reported case in my home town. I'd love to be able to do some brewing in case my employment shuts down. I can easily do without beer if it means not getting infected or (worse) passing it on to my family.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I'd rather ask it now, then not, and regret it later.

I've been reading the virus can live on cardboard for up to 24hrs and plastic/stainless steel for 2-3 days (even read up to 8 days on that, but don't know if that's been debunked). I'd like to order a sack of 2row and some hops, so what precautions (if any) should I take?

I, along with my son, are in the high risk group (asthma), so I wanted to ask. I read about our first reported case in my home town. I'd love to be able to do some brewing in case my employment shuts down. I can easily do without beer if it means not getting infected or (worse) passing it on to my family.

I don't see why you cannot accept the package, gear up (hands/face), put the package into the garage for a few days, and then deal with it.

The point everyone is making about surface contact, at least with cardboard, is that it is extremely unlikely. The thought being that if it was truly transmitted via cardboard then we would have a significantly greater situation on our hands, and it would not have been more-or-less contained in China for as long as it had been.

In other words, you SHOULD be safe...take the extra precautions if you feel it would be best. I mean, it won't hurt to leave the package in the garage for a couple of days.

If my health was encumbered by any chronic pulmonary condition I would make zero assumptions wrt virus lifespan - on surfaces or in the air - and treat everything like it was a biologic hazard. I'd make up a spray bottle of strong bleach & water sanitizer (2 tbsp bleach per gallon should get you up around 300-400ppm) to treat any delivered packages...

Cheers!

One of my coworkers, who drives a fork truck in the receiving department, is now required to wear nitrile gloves since he has to handle some of the corrugated packaging we get. That got me to thinking.

In nutshell (and after doing some more reading), I went ahead and put in an order for some grains/hops from MoreBeer. Guess I can let the package sit outside (if there's no rain), then glove up, move it, and hit it with bleach/water sanitizer as mentioned. Same with the contents inside, since they will be in plastic.

I feel like I should change my user name to Adrian Monk after re-reading my post. :confused:

I've been binge watching the Ken Burns series "Contry Music" on PBS On Demand. I had no idea how diverse the genre was/is. Starts at the beginning to modern day, warts and all. Absolutely amazing and historically correct like all Ken Burns projects. Really enjoyable, even if you're not a fan of C&W.

Brooo Brother

One of my coworkers, who drives a fork truck in the receiving department, is now required to wear nitrile gloves since he has to handle some of the corrugated packaging we get. That got me to thinking.

In nutshell (and after doing some more reading), I went ahead and put in an order for some grains/hops from MoreBeer. Guess I can let the package sit outside (if there's no rain), then glove up, move it, and hit it with bleach/water sanitizer as mentioned. Same with the contents inside, since they will be in plastic.

I feel like I should change my user name to Adrian Monk after re-reading my post. :confused:

There's not a lot of data on this particular virus, but generally, bright sunlight will kill virii in an hour or two. UV wavelengths destroy DNA. I read a military paper that verified this through test. Sooooo, if you receive packages in the mail, best to kick them out into the sun and come back later to retrieve.

[edit] paper attached, in case anybody cares. I PDF'ed from the html, so formatting might not be ideal

Attachments

• Predicted Inactivation of Viruses of Relevance to Biodefense by Solar Radiation.pdf
    460.3 KB · Views: 10
In Indiana...
All bars are closed down
Restaurants are carry out or delivery only
Most other businesses are closed or have switched to delivery only
Word from many sources is that a "shelter in place" mandate will be announced this weekend and only a few essential industries will be open for the next 14 days.

Weird times we live in.

Minnesota

All bars are closed down
Restaurants are carry out or delivery only
Most other businesses are closed or have switched to delivery only
Rumor is that a "shelter in place" mandate will be announced soon and only a few essential industries will be open.
My son is in the National Guard and was told to be sure his gear is in order as he could be called at any time.
Brother in-law works for a liquor store and says they have never been busier. Started an on-line order option and using a delivery service about 6 months ago and cant keep up with the orders.

Many of the craft breweries here are selling to go growlers. No personal growler fill due to sanitation. One place is a brew pub so you can get a meal and growler to go.
Due to Covid-19 blood donations are down everywhere. Brewery close by is giving out a gift certificate for a free crowler when you donate blood.

There largest brewery here, Alvarado Street Brewery and sister company Yeast of Eden with three locations, closed all three of their doors. Clearly the majority of us are not buying to-go food. ****, the Taco Bell on main Street is closed (although, we eat at the taco trucks so not upset persay).

I live in NYC which is a much more densely populated area than the rest of the country. I've been wearing gloves when opening any packages, discarding the cardboard, then clorox wiping the outside of the contents (or letting them sit for 4 days before handling)

I think receiving things via delivery is still safer than going out to a store where you may be dealing with crowds of people. The droplets from this virus can remain in the air for a period of time so best to stay out of indoor places with lots of people. All it takes 15 seconds of exposure in the surrounding air to catch it.

I live in NYC which is a much more densely populated area than the rest of the country. I've been wearing gloves when opening any packages, discarding the cardboard, then clorox wiping the outside of the contents (or letting them sit for 4 days before handling)

I think receiving things via delivery is still safer than going out to a store where you may be dealing with crowds of people. The droplets from this virus can remain in the air for a period of time so best to stay out of indoor places with lots of people. All it takes 15 seconds of exposure in the surrounding air to catch it.

The wife and me had to make a grocery run. It was nice to see some bread on the isles. There was hardly no one in our local Publix. Still no damn toilet paper.

When we got back, we basically washed down everything we bought with clorox wipes before putting them up. Probably do the same when my grains come in. If it's not raining, I'll leave the package out in the sun for a few hours.

On a side note, is Star-san good enough to kill the virus? Asking in case we run into a shortage of Lysol/Clorox wipes as we're seeing with hand sanitizers. I feel like we, as home brewers, are sitting on a good mine.

The wife and me had to make a grocery run. It was nice to see some bread on the isles. There was hardly no one in our local Publix. Still no damn toilet paper.

When we got back, we basically washed down everything we bought with clorox wipes before putting them up. Probably do the same when my grains come in. If it's not raining, I'll leave the package out in the sun for a few hours.

On a side note, is Star-san good enough to kill the virus? Asking in case we run into a shortage of Lysol/Clorox wipes as we're seeing with hand sanitizers. I feel like we, as home brewers, are sitting on a good mine.

Use bleach. It's so cheap and available everywhere (I assume), incl hardware stores. 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water. I put iit in a spray bottle.

(I emailed 5 star chem, who makes starsan, and they said that they don't recommend starsan against coronavirus; it might work, might not, but once again, just use bleach).

Yeah, I wouldn't use Starsan over bleach. Just was wondering in case the hoarders started buying all the bleach up. I'm thinking, as a last resort, Star-san is better than nothing.

Yeah, I wouldn't use Starsan over bleach. Just was wondering in case the hoarders started buying all the bleach up. I'm thinking, as a last resort, Star-san is better than nothing.

Yes, better than nothing. Pool stores also carry bleach (pool chlorine).

Bleach is sodium hypochlorite NaOCl, but you can also use dry calcium hypochlorite for the same purpose. It comes in a dry packet that you need to add to water and wait to dissolve. I buy the CaOCl by the case for my pool. Here's where I get it, but you can get at Home Depot etc (at least in FL). For guidance on using CaOCl (and other chlorines) for killing virii, see CDC site here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGNLUV8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_g54DEb7ZRFWD5

upload_2020-3-22_12-20-5.png

Hmm, strangely, people always forget about soap. One the best things there is to kill anything with a lipid membrane, like SARS-Cov-2. Does it fast, does it efficiently. People do it all the time after they flail Salmonella and and Campylobacter around their kitchen while dealing with chicken or turkey (these are more hardy than SARS-Cov-2, BTW). Wash your hands with soap and warm water. Wipe down your stuff with it if you want, but you could just wait a few days.

It’s unofficial, but I have heard from a few sources they will not be enforcing liquor licenses At least in Livonia, so beer delivery will be a thing for a short while for us here.

Here in California, we have breweries doing delivery, and our local wine bar is offering free delivery for anything over a $100 purchase. It's definitely happening here.

A good resource here: https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html

It's more about food safety than package delivery, of course. But one of the key aspects is that this is a respiratory (airborne) pathogen, so the biggest issue is not touching things; it's breathing it. Getting the virus on your hands can't infect you unless you unless you then touch your nose [or eyes].

And it doesn't transmit through food either. Even if there is virus on a piece of food and you ingest it, it's not an infection vector.

So for any packages, I would glove up, bring them into the garage, *immediately* go take the gloves off and wash your hands [being careful not to touch your face], and then let the packages sit a few days. That should be sufficient to avoid any issue.

Back