Corn anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmanster

Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why can't I find any info about brewing with canned cream corn? I have some that needs to be used up and was thinking I could just throw a can in the mash.. I would assume its already gelatinized from the canning and pasteurization process but I don't know.. I'm working now but when I get home I will look to see what the ingredients compose of.. Preservatives, oils, etc... Does anyone else know or used it before? Could still do a cereal mash with it like regular canned or frozen corn..Maybe some small test batches? Any thoughts?

Why can't I find any info about brewing with canned cream corn?

Just speculating, but it could be because canned corn aroma is often associated with DMS. Most people probably wouldn't think to include that which is used to describe a normally unwanted aroma, in a recipe.

There are very few, if any, rules in home brewing. You might be able to replace rolled corn in a recipe. The corn doesn't concern me as much as the cream part. Do you know what all is in it?

You could always try making a smaller batch with it. When I trying something really different I usually make a 2.5 gallon batch. It's less work and less to have to deal with if it doesn't turn out.

The "cream" part is just water and corn starch that's been thickened/gelatinized (think "hot and sour soup"), so it's easily convertible.

M_C
Just speculating, but it could be because canned corn aroma is often associated with DMS. Most people probably wouldn't think to include that which is used to describe a normally unwanted aroma, in a recipe.

There are very few, if any, rules in home brewing. You might be able to replace rolled corn in a recipe. The corn doesn't concern me as much as the cream part. Do you know what all is in it?

You could always try making a smaller batch with it. When I trying something really different I usually make a 2.5 gallon batch. It's less work and less to have to deal with if it doesn't turn out.

The "cream" part is just water and corn starch that's been thickened/gelatinized (think "hot and sour soup"), so it's easily convertible.

Sounds like good ingredients for making beer. You could do a small test to see how it will ferment. I have some slants of yeast on hand just for that purpose. Although from the sound of it you could just take a recipe that called for rolled corn and use it as a substitute. :mug:

Rolled corn isn't the same as canned corn. Canned corn is sweet corn. Rolled corn is field corn. Two very different types. I make a CAP with field corn all the time and it is good. Try the canned corn and see what you think. Its all in the name of science! ;)

Rolled corn isn't the same as canned corn. Canned corn is sweet corn. Rolled corn is field corn. Two very different types. I make a CAP with field corn all the time and it is good. Try the canned corn and see what you think. Its all in the name of science! ;)

While I'd agree that sweet corn and field corn are different, either one can be canned and creamed. In this case, I don't think it makes much difference what type of corn is in the can. :)

Do you think a small wiskey mash with some diastatic enzyme or amylace powder and check for conversion with the refractometer would work?

Why not? Although I was thinking along the lines of finding a recipe with corn that I liked and, loosely based on that, mix and mash enough to do a forced fermentation test. Whether a test is worth it kind of depends on the recipe, how much beer you plan to brew, and how much corn you plan to use. For a 5 gallon batch with corn making up 5% of the grain bill, I'd just brew it.

Any time I test I try to keep things as close to real world as possible. And I never use amylase powder when brewing.

While I'd agree that sweet corn and field corn are different, either one can be canned and creamed. In this case, I don't think it makes much difference what type of corn is in the can. :)

I sure wouldn't eat canned field corn.:cross:

Why not use flaked corn from the LHBS?

a means to an end of alot of canned creamed corn...:mug:
here is whats in it... corn, water, sugar, modified food starch and salt. not to worried about the salt but do you think the modified food starch with stick conversion? if its not covertable it just might add some chill haze but im not worried about that ether... this would be probably just be a yard working brew.. could do it in a weat to cover that also.. wife and kids are leaving me for the weekend going south so i could make a mess in the kitchen and try a couple conversion tables... thinking modified malted weat or just malted weat because it has alot of diastatic enzymes and could do the job...

Back