Copper tube in tower,any real difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
How much difference in tower temp does it really make?I have one now and first beer is pretty cold.Fridge also has built in fan(not blowing up tower) The thing is Im looking to upgrade from a single tower.I can go three kegs without the copper tube and two with it.I started kegging with it installed so I have nothing to compare it with

My experience is the same as yours. I started off with 3/4" copper tube in my insulated tower, so have nothing to compare to. But I've had zero issues with foamy first pours, so I have to think it makes a noticeable difference.

What size beer line are you running and what size copper tube is in your tower? I use the ATP Vinyl-Flex hose from Amazon and it has worked great. It has a 5/16" OD which is smaller than the standard "thick wall" beer line. I can easily get two lines in my 3/4" copper tube, and although I've never tried, I think a third would fit without a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6BCXQ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is not putting the lines in the tube.I have mine setup with the tube in the tower and teed off running across the top of the fridge to get the copper cold.The fridge is not tall and my low profile tap hits the copper if I push the keg back in the fridge.So I can only use the front of the fridge.If I eliminate the copper I can push the kegs to the back giving me room for another keg in fridge.

Ah, I see what you mean. I have my copper running from center to left of my kegerator along the top, and then top to bottom along the left side. So a lot of copper in the fridge to help get it cold just like you. But, I see a lot of guys on here only have their pipe sticking out an inch or 2 from the top of the fridge and report that it works fine that way. Can you eliminate the pipe running along the top of the fridge and just use the T fitting to give you enough room for an extra keg? Might be enough to keep your tower/lines cool, especially since you have a fan to help with air circulation.

Back