Convert Dry Stout to milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMcPeach

Reaction score
I have searchedd on here and haven't quite found an answer to this. I have an all grain guinness clone waiting to be brewed (Northern Brewer kit).

I'd like to add lactose to the boil and cocoa nibs to the secondary to make this a chocolate milk stout. Will this work? I have noticed that the grains used in dry stouts are a bit different from those used in typical milk stouts.

I have searchedd on here and haven't quite found an answer to this. I have an all grain guinness clone waiting to be brewed (Northern Brewer kit).

I'd like to add lactose to the boil and cocoa nibs to the secondary to make this a chocolate milk stout. Will this work? I have noticed that the grains used in dry stouts are a bit different from those used in typical milk stouts.

There aren't all that different, although a milk stout will have crystal malt.

If you post the recipe for the dry stout, we can help you change it. Unless the grains are already mixed together and milled- then there isn't much we can do except have you add some crystal malt.

Recipe is:

6# M.Otter
2# Flaked Barley
1# Roast Barley

1.5oz Cluster @ 60 mins.

It is already milled and in one big bag, ready to brew.

What would be worth adding as far as crystal goes?

How about .75 pound of crystal 80L? And then a pound of lactose at the end of the boil.

I'd also cut down the cluster hops a bit, so that your IBUs are reduced a little (but not too much). Assuming your cluster hops are 7%ish (mine are), then use 1 ounce of the cluster hops instead of 1.5 ounces.

How about .75 pound of crystal 80L? And then a pound of lactose at the end of the boil.

I'd also cut down the cluster hops a bit, so that your IBUs are reduced a little (but not too much). Assuming your cluster hops are 7%ish (mine are), then use 1 ounce of the cluster hops instead of 1.5 ounces.

So I am finally about to make this recipe this weekend and I realized I forgot to get the crystal 80. I have crystal 60. Would that do the job? Should I use a bit more of it?

Crystal 60 will be fine. I wouldn't use any extra.
I hope you got the Wyeast 1084, you can get quite a bit of sweetness out of it if you ferment a bit higher in it's range. I like 68.
Also, for next time, if you add the crystal and dark grains at the end of the mash or do a cold steep with them, it will take most of the bitterness out, enhancing the perception of sweetness.

wolfman_48442 said:
Crystal 60 will be fine. I wouldn't use any extra.
I hope you got the Wyeast 1084, you can get quite a bit of sweetness out of it if you ferment a bit higher in it's range. I like 68.
Also, for next time, if you add the crystal and dark grains at the end of the mash or do a cold steep with them, it will take most of the bitterness out, enhancing the perception of sweetness.

Thanks for the tip. I will be reusing some washed wlp002 for this one. I have read about the cold steep method and will definitely try it next time when the grains aren't all mixed together.

Latest posts

Back