Controller question - do they reset after power outage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele Craft

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to decide what controller to buy for my keezer build. A friend mentioned NOT getting a digital one because after a power outage (tho we have a generator that comes on automatically, it does take 20 - 30 seconds to kick in), the digital ones go back to some preset temp vs the temp you want. He recommended a dial one. Is that the case and do I need to be concerned? I was actually hoping to get one this week because tho I'm not ready for the keezer build, I need to use the freezer to store a bunch of chili for an outdoor event this weekend.

thanks in advance!

I'm looking to decide what controller to buy for my keezer build. A friend mentioned NOT getting a digital one because after a power outage (tho we have a generator that comes on automatically, it does take 20 - 30 seconds to kick in), the digital ones go back to some preset temp vs the temp you want.

Maybe some do, but none of the controllers I've ever used do that.

Good to hear, thank you! I want simple plug and play without having to rewire anything on the freezer and the digital readout would be nice. Do the forum members have any recommendations? Looks like Inkbird and Johnson are the two main types, just not sure of the pro/cons of each.

I've used several types. The one I own three of and the one I trust most is the Johnson A419. They've logged tens of thousands of hours without a hiccup. I think it might be no longer manufactured, and the A421 might be its replacement.

A lot of people use Inkbirds. They are pretty inexpensive. I owned one of them and it was a lemon, but I can't say that it was typical.

Inkbird's are simple to use, basically plug and play.
I've used several types. The one I own three of and the one I trust most is the Johnson A419. They've logged tens of thousands of hours without a hiccup. I think it might be no longer manufactured, and the A421 might be its replacement.

A lot of people use Inkbirds. They are pretty inexpensive. I owned one of them and it was a lemon, but I can't say that it was typical.

Thank you both. I have been looking at the ITC-308 or the A421 so I'll do some research tonite and see what's what.

I have the ITC-308 and have never had an issue. I have used the Johnson controller (not for beer) for HVAC control, never had an issue there either. The inkbird was just a cleaner install at the time.

and if i can ask another rudimentary question, if you're just plugging these controllers between the freezer and the wall and setting the temp there, do you just set the temp on the freezer's own controller down as low as possible? does it even matter?

Yes, it does matter. Set the freezer control as low as it will go and let your temp controller run things.

Edit: As long as the freezer doesn't shut off before your controller wants to shut things off your good.

fwiw, I also have never run into an add-on/external controller that didn't save user settings in non-volatile storage.
That encompasses Ranco, Love, STC, WillHi and Shenzhen...

Cheers!

Yes, it does matter. Set the freezer control as low as it will go and let your temp controller run things.

Edit: As long as the freezer doesn't shut off before your controller wants to shut things off your good.

So I got the inkbird and it came today. Put the probe in a bottle of water and set it for 37F. I have the freezer control as "low" as it'll go but I wonder if I'm misinterpreting low. I have it so that if the inkbird weren't in line, the freezer would take the temp down really far (so highest number on the dial, but that would get me the lowest freezer temp). I noticed that on the inside walls of the freezer, I'm getting a thing coating of frost. Wondering if perhaps by "low" you meant on the freezer dial (i.e. the warmest the freezer would normally be).

I've got about 2F to go before the inkbird should shut things off either way.

You have it correct. You want the Inkbird to control the compressor cycle, not the freezer.

Ok thanks. So I guess the little bit of frosting on the inside walls I just don't worry about. Cool. I unplugged it for about 5 minutes for giggles to test the original reason for this post and when plugged back in, it went back to the 37F set point.

The frost in the inside is normal, it's a freezer! The next thing you will want is an de-humidifier, like this one Eva dry, so that you don't have a ton of frost building up inside your keezer.

The frost in the inside is normal, it's a freezer! The next thing you will want is an de-humidifier, like this one Eva dry, so that you don't have a ton of frost building up inside your keezer.

Thanks for the tip! I have to get some more Damp Rid to put in the boat for winter storage so I'll either get extra or get the Eva Dry you suggested. This is great that I can run this as a fridge because I'm going to have a huge pot of chili to store overnite tomorrow plus all the corn bread wedges for a bon fire on Saturday so the ink bird came just in time!

Well this is interesting.... I heard a beeping noise and wandered out to the garage where the freezer is. Looks like tho the freezer is off, the temp probe in the bottle is reading 32.8F and there's a chip of ice floating in it. I have it set to alarm at 34 on the low side and I think 42 on the high side. Not entirely sure why the thing keep going below 37 unless it's just because it circulated as if it was normal (i.e. no inkbird) and then shut off but the temp still keeps dropping until things level out? This is going to present a problem.

If it was the first time it cycled off, and you have no load in the freezer, it may bounce a bit. Also, look at the cooling differential, If your setpoint is 37 and your cooling differential is 4, the it will turn on at 39 and off at 35.

My guess is you have no load, toss a keg in filled with water if you don't have a keg of beer and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice. Nope, no load currently. I don't currently have a keg available of any liquid but was getting this running for now to use an extra fridge. I'll double check the setup on the inkbird tonite and see what's what.

Chest freezers are designed to get down to sub zero temps, so the cold rolling off the evaporator (under the interior walls) is COLD. Not like the food compartment of a fridge. If you pinch a beer line against the wall behind a keg there's a good chance it will freeze.

And as mentioned, the lighter the thermal mass the greater the potential for overshoot.

Stick a few full kegs in there and see what happens...

Cheers!

I just checked and I have the differential set to 2 so if set temp is 37 I guess it'll run if it's over 39. it definitely seems to be a load thing since it's now at 34.5. I'm going to raise the set temp up to 40 but leave the diff at 2 since this is just for food in the short term until I build this into my bar. I did change the low alarm to 30 because otherwise it seems like it was just going to be annoying.

I have 2 inkbirds running. I'm pretty sure they retain their settings

The Johnson Controls A419 retains its settings through a power off. It also has an Anti-Short Delay setting (ASd on the display) that kicks in when it is powered up to prevent a power off/on event from cycling the plant on too short a timescale.

Back