Contract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeHugger

Reaction score
This is a question for the experienced home brewer.

Would you be interested in becoming an independent contractor of a small nano and be able to brew your recipe on-site and receive a portion of net sales in compensation. Say a 3-5 bbl batch each month of your best recipe.

Would this be something you would be interested in participating in? I hope open a home brew shop that sells product on-site brewed by customers.

thanks for the feedback!

While this is a neat idea, I fear that getting the product to a paying customer would be difficult...

wow if you could make that efficiently work out that would be great.

Heck, if everything was paid for, i'd even do it free for the experience and feedback!

Sounds like an interesting concept. I looked into contract brewing last year and decided against it due to all of the licensing required, which is similar to opening your own brewery. I decided to wait until I could just do it myself. Your concept is interesting because the "brewer" would get to skip all of that. I also don't believe I've heard of this model being used anywhere else.

While in the research phase we discovered that a brewer does not have to be licensed to brew at a business. The business is responsible for the employee and the registration of the recipe with the state. Basically the brewer is an employee(Ind Contractor in this case).

We would pick recipes through a tournament style competition and have 6 or so on tap year round and adjust each year given demand.

wow if you could make that efficiently work out that would be great.

Heck, if everything was paid for, i'd even do it free for the experience and feedback!

I agree. I would do it for free for just the experience and to have a beer of mine in production.

isnt this kind of like what sam adams is doing... they have their competition to get a homebrewers recipie as a seasonal for sale.

I think this would rock! the homebrewers would get to have experience on a large scale and get feedback on their recipies at the competition and in production.

I had thought about doing something kinda sorta similar but not really, lol. Seeing as home brewing is technically a no go where I live but tap rooms are I was thinking about renting a space, allowing "home" brewers come in with their own gear, brew on premises, then rent out some taps at the bar. Kinda like a brewing commune, heh. Only problem there is you couldn't bring it home unless it passed through the possession of each of the three tiers first. That and the paperwork nightmare of having an unlimited number of brewers and recipes at any given time.

I had thought about doing something kinda sorta similar but not really, lol. Seeing as home brewing is technically a no go where I live but tap rooms are I was thinking about renting a space, allowing "home" brewers come in with their own gear, brew on premises, then rent out some taps at the bar. Kinda like a brewing commune, heh. Only problem there is you couldn't bring it home unless it passed through the possession of each of the three tiers first. That and the paperwork nightmare of having an unlimited number of brewers and recipes at any given time.

Great points. Many states(mine included) do not allow for the brew on premises idea, plus your customers need to be able to rely upon a good product. My state, however, does allow for a small brewery(under 30,000 bbl each year) to produce and sell on-premise brew for off-premise consumption. So a customer could really only fill up a growler and leave.

Plus I basically get the best free salesperson I could ask for; the guy brewing and benefiting from the sale of his recipe.

isnt this kind of like what sam adams is doing... they have their competition to get a homebrewers recipie as a seasonal for sale.

I think this would rock! the homebrewers would get to have experience on a large scale and get feedback on their recipies at the competition and in production.

Yes, it is. Obviously on a much smaller scale, plus the home brewer would produce, not Sam Adams people.

Great points. Many states(mine included) do not allow for the brew on premises idea, plus your customers need to be able to rely upon a good product. My state, however, does allow for a small brewery(under 30,000 bbl each year) to produce and sell on-premise brew for off-premise consumption. So a customer could really only fill up a growler and leave.

Plus I basically get the best free salesperson I could ask for; the guy brewing and benefiting from the sale of his recipe.

Awesome idea!

I'd make the trek to brew there.

Best of luck to you :mug:

Thanks for some feedback guys. I would want to do it if someone offered me the opportunity.

Follow my progress @YouBrew via Facebook.

thanks again!

Latest posts

Back