Continuous hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOOTER

Reaction score
Just curious who here has heard of the method of continuous hopping, or if anyone has attempted this process, and if so, did it make a noticeable difference in the final product?

Tons of people have tried, including me. DFH does this on their beers with an automated hopper. To me, it just made it hard, if not impossible, to calculate the IBU's, and it's a PITA to stand over the kettle dropping in pellets for an hour. Try it if you want, but don't expect anything fantastic to come out of it. Check out hop bursting (getting almost all of your IBUs from the flavor and aroma additions) if you are a hophead and want a great hop experience.

I do it with one of my beers- I like the results. I add about half the bittering hops at first boil, then slowly add the rest over the next half hour. Then the flavor/aroma hops are added very slowly over the last half hour. I've been very happy with the results, I think it gave some complex hoppiness to the beer.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ohh man, I've been asking the same question on this thread about a week ago. I'm waiting to taste the fruit of my labor, I started one batch of IPA that I continuous hopped. Since this was the first time for me, I added all of the bittering hops, then added an additonal oz. of the same hops during the boil. I also plan on dry hoppping this same batch when it hits the secondary in about a week.

Will keep you posted on what it tastes like.

Cheers!

Yea man, thats from last week before I started this batch. It looks great, the krausen has died down some, but I'm still getting a bubble every 5-7 seconds. acting very much like the first batch I did, so it should still taste great. about one more week in the primary, then dry hop in the secondray for a few days, bottle and enjoy. I can't wait!!

Prost!

Latest posts

Back