Contamination after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgeft

Reaction score
For a couple batches now I'm sensing infection only after bottling. At least the two last batches showed no signs on infections on bottling day, and neither they did after 2 week carbing, which after I had tried them and didn't notice any off flavor, yet after 6 weeks maturation they show some signs of an infection, one is showing cider symptoms and the other one has a solvent aroma.

I've reviewed my process over the time and made sure I sanitized and sterilized everything through the brew day. Where am I getting this infection and how can I avoid it, I'm controlling fermentation temperatures, yeast pitching rates and temperatures.

Guess I'm another one of those discouraged brewers who get infections from time to time, but, to be honest, I'm too deep into this hobby to quit now.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks

Take apart the valve on your bottling bucket and clean it thoroughly. Same if you have a bottling wand. Also, are you boiling your sugar addition with some water before you add it to the bottle bucket? 5 minutes is fine.

Also, I put caps in a small bowl of Starsan sanitizer and grab each one from that as I bottle. All bottles are cleaned with an oxygen cleaner, rinsed thoroughly and then sprayed inside with Starsan.

I've ordered a new bottling set, bucket, wand and valve anyways.
I'm doing exactly what you're saying apart boiling water for 5 min, I just bring it to a boil and add the sugar. Might be that?

I've ordered a new bottling set, bucket, wand and valve anyways.
I'm doing exactly what you're saying apart boiling water for 5 min, I just bring it to a boil and add the sugar. Might be that?

I wouldn't think so, but 5 minutes can't hurt. No need to cool it either, just toss it in and the thermal mass will cool it instantly. Use just enough water to make the sugar soluable.

Most people with bottle infections seem to clear them up after cleaning bottling buckets and valves.

I've brewed myself another batch as of today, the simplest I could brew actually. Bleached bomb the fermenters, right after oxicleaned them and rinsed with Startsan, same for transfer system (from brew kettle to fermenter), checked valves and such for spots and they were clean.
Everything seems to be in order as I see it, as for now. I'll give feedback when I'm done with this batch. Sadly I've got two batches which I bottled yesterday let us see if they get the infection.

Cheers for the help ;)

Would skip bleach anything if I were you. It can screw all kinds of stuff up even in tiny concentrations. Oxy clean and Starsan will kill everything.

Latest posts

Back