Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed all day today, didn't have one beer while brewing.

I rarely drink while brewing. I generally start brewing around 8 AM and if I started drinking then, I'd never make it to pitching my yeast without really screwing something up.

:tank:

Confession: I liked beer (actually I loved it) before I was 21. Have I sinned? I killed a man in Iraq when I was 20 ( I hated it) Is that also a sin?

I find myself hoarding empty bottles, even though I have not bottled a batch in over two years. Aside from the occasional individual fill from the tap to give away most have sat unfilled and getting dusty for a while. Maybe I should give many of them away.

I find myself hoarding empty bottles, even though I have not bottled a batch in over two years. Aside from the occasional individual fill from the tap to give away most have sat unfilled and getting dusty for a while. Maybe I should give many of them away.

I am guilty of this one as well. I have around 600 beer and 120ish wine bottles, delabeled, washed and sterilized. I still at least a couple times a month pick up a 12 pack of some type of craft brew to enjoy. I bring it home and wifey chuckles and says, "Farming bottles huh?"

She doesn't say much, she loves the wines that I make and local store will have a crazy a$$ sale on Tuesdays. She will sometimes come home with a case of wine. I just look at her and say, "Farming bottles huh?"

But it comes in handy from time to time. Made some brew for friends wedding. 700 bottles of beer. Didn't have to buy the first box of bottles.

But as pertained to the thread, my confession is that I like to brew in my boxers. Dunno why.

I brew barefoot especially in the summer, but in the winter too in my garage. I have hobbit feet and hate shoes.
I use winter gloves to protect my hands from the hot pot handles when pouring strike/sparge water. Maybe I should drill out my HLT for a valve.
I don't brew often enough.

Confession: I liked beer (actually I loved it) before I was 21. Have I sinned? I killed a man in Iraq when I was 20 ( I hated it) Is that also a sin?

The second item is experience I do not have, and I certainly would not judge you, only honor your service.

As for the first part, I think you're in good company here.

I brew barefoot especially in the summer, but in the winter too in my garage. I have hobbit feet and hate shoes.
I use winter gloves to protect my hands from the hot pot handles when pouring strike/sparge water. Maybe I should drill out my HLT for a valve.
I don't brew often enough.

My wife came home to find me brewing once in shorts, no shirt, no shoes with my ski gloves on as oven mitts.

I got the raised eyebrow for that one.

Don't say you're under 21 on HBT, unless you want to be like Gary_Oak.

What if you're under the age of 21, but you have reached the legal drinking age in your state/province/territory?

I confess I've considered quitting my job and moving to another city just to avoid my alcoholic family while I'm brewing.

I just recycled and/or gave away just over 1100 bottles. I kept some and have a bunch of 22 bomber left. A few 32oz and a few 750ml.
Going to kegging.

I'm getting ready to move in the next few months and have realized that I can't/won't be taking 500+ empty bottles with me. I've started sorting them by weight (assuming heavier=sturdier) and by whether they have ridges on the bottom (I prefer unridged, despite my name). I can get a little obsessed sometimes.

But it comes in handy from time to time. Made some brew for friends wedding. 700 bottles of beer. Didn't have to buy the first box of bottles.

But as pertained to the thread, my confession is that I like to brew in my boxers. Dunno why.
You brewed 700 bottles of beer for a friend's wedding? Holy crap! That's seven ten-gallon batches. That must be some friend!

How long did that take you, and did he help?

5 gallon batches. He bought the extra buckets and bought all the grain. he "helped" yes, if you mean helped drink while we were brewing then yes he helped. He did do nearly all the capping when it was time to bottle.

We brewed 2 batches every Saturday, and most Sunday's. We started about 5 months out leaving the IPA batches for last. It really was fun, learned a lot too. Learned I do NOT want to graduate from hobby brewer to pro/semi pro.

Wedding was a huge smash! Overshot the beers quantity by a good bit, had around 200 beers left over.

And yes, very good friend. I'd walk through hell wearing gasoline soaked britches for this guy, as he would for me.

I can't imagine the man-hours it took to bottle that many bottles of beer.

:rockin:

Dunno if anyone else uses half inch tubing for bottling but it is a life saver.

5 gallon batches. He bought the extra buckets and bought all the grain. he "helped" yes, if you mean helped drink while we were brewing then yes he helped. He did do nearly all the capping when it was time to bottle.

We brewed 2 batches every Saturday, and most Sunday's. We started about 5 months out leaving the IPA batches for last. It really was fun, learned a lot too. Learned I do NOT want to graduate from hobby brewer to pro/semi pro.

Wedding was a huge smash! Overshot the beers quantity by a good bit, had around 200 beers left over.

And yes, very good friend. I'd walk through hell wearing gasoline soaked britches for this guy, as he would for me.

Amazing. I thought I had hit high water when I had over 100 bottles in stock.

I guess it depends where you live, when I was young, you only needed to be 16 to go to bars in the netherlands(friday nights only) and order beer and wine. Strong alcohol was 18+ though....

Finland is a bit stricter, buying age is officially 18, but generally 21 is the age for bars.

That is less than two batches! Your confession should be that you have not yet filled your pipeline and you did not realize it until now.

This is true. I brew about half what I would like to. When I expressed interest is trying to scale up from 5 to 10 gallons I got side eyed, hard.

I do 5 gallon batches, but I still feel low on bottles at about 200-250.....

I'm only getting about one brew day a month. Saturday will be my third in the past month. She's starting to see the benefit of my labor though, so there's that. I've discovered a hop that she can actually tolerate, even enjoy, and I'm trying to keep something in stock that features it heavily. Luckily for me, Mosaic happens to be my favorite too.

I'm only getting about one brew day a month. Saturday will be my third in the past month. She's starting to see the benefit of my labor though, so there's that. I've discovered a hop that she can actually tolerate, even enjoy, and I'm trying to keep something in stock that features it heavily. Luckily for me, Mosaic happens to be my favorite too.

+1! Mosaic is an awesome hop!

I just bottled a red IPA with centennial and mosaic. One week in the bottle and my wife gives me "Ooh, what's that?" happy face. I can't wait to try it in a couple weeks.

I didn't brew for 4 months, and I still have 5 fulls kegs ready to go into the kegerator plus the 5 that are already in there.

The last 3 brews I've made I haven't liked. I drank them. Others enjoyed them , much more than I did. But it's starting to impact my enthusiasm for the hobby . I want a simple to brew , malt forward session able ale that is very low hopped or bittered and can use the pale malts that I bought in bulk when I was on a cream ale kick. Additional costs are a heavy factor. Maybe a Dunkel Zwickel with lower hop presence would work.

SWMBO thinks it's great that I'm finally cleaning up the garage. Actually I need more brewery space.

The last 3 brews I've made I haven't liked. I drank them. Others enjoyed them , much more than I did. But it's starting to impact my enthusiasm for the hobby . I want a simple to brew , malt forward session able ale that is very low hopped or bittered and can use the pale malts that I bought in bulk when I was on a cream ale kick. Additional costs are a heavy factor. Maybe a Dunkel Zwickel with lower hop presence would work.

I just kegged an American Amber. Brewed after Jamil's BCS recipe. High drinkability, moderate hops with a good malt backbone. If you wanted to step back from that a hitch, the BCS American Pale is just that. Dry, light and quaffable with a hint of caramel on the aftertaste - just enough to invite you back for the next sip.

I like them both for their balance and drinkability. Maybe one of them would strike your fancy.

Smart..

I got a little pissed (but kept it to myself) when SWMBO went out and bought a six of Blue Moon. So I brewed a Wheat Beer and told her I brewed it for her. She now calls it "my beer". As in:

Me: "I'm getting us some beers for dinner. Which beer would you like?"
SWMBO: "I want MY beer"

SWMBO thinks it's great that I'm finally cleaning up the garage. Actually I need more brewery space.

This is going to be me tomorrow. Kegs are coming in the mail... She's going to love me getting all that stuff in the trash by 10am :D

Coors light is my go to bmc, can't afford a case of craft beer every week and apparently I don't brew often enough lol

Coors light is my go to bmc, can't afford a case of craft beer every week and apparently I don't brew often enough lol

Here's an experiment for you: Drink a good homebrew, and then drink a Coors Light. The normal response is "blech."

Brew on :mug:

I ran out of prepped bottles but wanted to squeeze out the final few bottles in this batch so I cracked 3 beer from the fridge, finished them off on top of the two pints I enjoyed while bottling, quick rinse, spray with starsan, primed, filled, capped.

Here's an experiment for you: Drink a good homebrew, and then drink a Coors Light. The normal response is "blech."

Brew on :mug:

I don't have the normal response I guess. I drink a lot of craft beers, but I drink a lot of BMC as well. Sometimes I will even pass on a 'good beer' to drink the 'blech' beers.

That's my confession I guess. I drank enough bud light last year to fill a swimming pool. I'm not ashamed. Today was 105 degrees. I was in the sun all day. I didn't want the lagunitas maximus I have on ice. I didn't want the homebrew either... I wanted the bud light I had on ice. Several in fact.

Back