Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to build a keezer and was lined up to do so but build partner found one for sale for less money than it would cost to build so I copped and bought it. I am now running a keezer with my beer in it that I myself did not build.

I have a lager i brewed 48 hours ago showing no visible signs of fermentation (at 12°c) and im worried about it

I don't long, slow pour non stop into multiple glasses, then flame sterilize the necks, of the bottles i collect sour dregs from. I take a clean test tube, rinse, swish with sometimes cloudy sani, and dump in the chunks.

I also often, pass on crash cooling and decanting my yeast starters. Oh...the humanity

I have a lager i brewed 48 hours ago showing no visible signs of fermentation (at 12°c) and im worried about it

I hope it wasn't the foam from the star san i have just started using....

thats actually another confession in itself, couple of years brewing and i just started with the star san

My office has a water service the brings in 5 gallon carboys, we have 12 of them sitting full in the break room. The service/lease agreement covers..."lost, damaged and broken containers..." Nice spring water from the highlands of NC. Would it be stealing if I continually bring the empties back for refill?
Although, when I leave this place the water guy will wonder where all these bottles came from......

My one year old son removed the air lock and bung from my primary and shouted something into the beer... hopefully just encouragement!

My wife just looked at me like I am crazy because I was laughing so hard at this.

My one year old son removed the air lock and bung from my primary and shouted something into the beer... hopefully just encouragement!

My 1 1/2 year old daughter is constantly trying to rip my airlocks out, maybe she's attempting the same thing. Sadly enough she's more interested in the brewing than my 4 year old son is.

I used to be worried about her messing with the fermenters until I read the post on this thread about the slobbery tennis ball from the dog. Haha

So you guys just keep gallons of fermenting beverages where the kids can get them??

Can I call you Dad?

Lol small house=limited storage space for fermenters

What's worse is I let them try the wort on brew day and my son now likes to openly comment his tasting notes. For example, we were in the lhbs the other day and he seen a red label after trying my Irish red and says "dad I don't like that red beer". Just waiting for cps to come knocking at my door because I let my kid try a beer, albeit in a non-alcoholic stage of production.

Lol small house=limited storage space for fermenters

What's worse is I let them try the wort on brew day and my son now likes to openly comment his tasting notes. For example, we were in the lhbs the other day and he seen a red label after trying my Irish red and says "dad I don't like that red beer". Just waiting for cps to come knocking at my door because I let my kid try a beer, albeit in a non-alcoholic stage of production.

The local grocery stores and major chain stores all have at least one non-fermented malt beverage on the shelves. Wort isn't much different.

So ... My first all grain brewing day in 5 years comes around and I forget to put on the filter on the MLT before I pour the strike water on the grains. Sigh .. Then I couldn't locate the thermometer duiring all this but had an infrared thermometer instead but was giving readings all over the place on liquid objects but not on solid ones. So IDK the mash temp, and I'm boned at this point so some prayer is involved, so after 60 min I drain MLT and put on SS filter , refill and do my thing but no spare due to no temp control. I taste wort and it's somewhat sweet but not where I should be at all. So I have semisweet grain water and not true wort. Wife is pisses cuz " my hobby costs money all the time and I don't " need" beer to live ( yea right ) so I salvage with 2 lbs sugar I have laying around and pitch saved yeast at 65 f and ferment at 55 and hope.

I'm planning to rush a batch. I desperately want to try the maple bacon ale I made and so I intend to keg it at 13 days in primary followed by a 30 psi force carb. I want her ready by the time the day off roles around. Also to try the Blackberry Red which has now been priming for what will be 9 days.... So we'll see how THAT goes.

So you guys just keep gallons of fermenting beverages where the kids can get them??

Can I call you Dad?

Ha. No, mine are hidden but my boys like to check on them with me each night. We usually just pet the top of the carboy and say 'are you ok, beer?' Seems to do the trick as I am making some good beer at the moment!

Can I call you Dad?

I grew up in a bar in Wisconsin, the things I was around as a kid would land my parents in prison nowadays.
I can't believe how uptight people can get when it comes to kids, Heck, I never even had a bicycle helmet. Also used to have BB gun fights with the other town kids, carried around a can of Skoal, and could buy it at the grocery store across from our bar. I wasn't even in my teens yet. Parents sold it by the time I was 13.
All True..
How's that for a confession.:rockin:

I grew up in a bar in Wisconsin, the things I was around as a kid would land my parents in prison nowadays.
I can't believe how uptight people can get when it comes to kids, Heck, I never even had a bicycle helmet. Also used to have BB gun fights with the other town kids, carried around a can of Skoal, and could buy it at the grocery store across from our bar. I wasn't even in my teens yet. Parents sold it by the time I was 13.
All True..
How's that for a confession.:rockin:

I will bet you even rode your bike anywhere you wanted as long as you were back by dinner/dark/closing time.

Crazy how we have gotten where we are today.

I use water from the hose
I let my gear sit outside open to the elements between batches, unclean from past brew days
I've used the same fermenting buckets for the past 5 years, scratches and all
I sanitize with bleach water the night before I brew and just rinse with more hose water
I reuse my BIAB grain and hop bags and just quickly rinse them out
I use cane sugar not corn and only bring to a quick boil
and nobody knows until now... :eek:

So ... My first all grain brewing day in 5 years comes around and I forget to put on the filter on the MLT before I pour the strike water on the grains. Sigh .. Then I couldn't locate the thermometer duiring all this but had an infrared thermometer instead but was giving readings all over the place on liquid objects but not on solid ones. So IDK the mash temp, and I'm boned at this point so some prayer is involved, so after 60 min I drain MLT and put on SS filter , refill and do my thing but no spare due to no temp control. I taste wort and it's somewhat sweet but not where I should be at all. So I have semisweet grain water and not true wort. Wife is pisses cuz " my hobby costs money all the time and I don't " need" beer to live ( yea right ) so I salvage with 2 lbs sugar I have laying around and pitch saved yeast at 65 f and ferment at 55 and hope.

Let us know how it comes out !!
:mug:

I let my gear sit outside open to the elements between batches, unclean from past brew days
I sanitize with bleach water the night before I brew and just rinse with more hose water

Welcome brother. We're all here for you.
:mug:

I watch old episodes of Archie Bunker's Place late at night. I find the PC meter peaks more often than not, but the actual moral lesson is often positive. I know some people might accuse me of being a racist for even enjoying vintage television shows like this one, but I think anyone that does didn't actually watch it themselves. Carrol O'Conner was actually a very liberal person in his time. Liberals like him are the last of the liberals I ever respected. Not for his television characters, but for who he really was in reality.

I enjoy watching Archie Bunker's Place. I enjoy it without apology.

I have spent enormous amounts of money on this hobby which my Wife would not even believe...

I find this hard to believe ;)

(My wife sells stuff on ebay and hey - wouldn't you know it, my grain scale is good for weighing packages.)

:rockin: I knew I had other brothers in crime. :rockin:

My confession is that I'm a cheap b@stard. I love my IPAs and big beers and brew them regularly, but if I'm out with friends and they are all spending 6$ a pint for an IPA I aways opt for a 2$ PBR pounder

My confession is that I'm a cheap b@stard. I love my IPAs and big beers and brew them regularly, but if I'm out with friends and they are all spending 6$ a pint for an IPA I aways opt for a 2$ PBR pounder

Same here, if i know I'm paying for dinner I'll drink 1 good beer and water. If someone else is paying and they're drinking too, I'll have 2 good beers. If I'm out drinking, you know, to drink, its cheap whisky or Coors light.

>>I use water from the hose

Its potentially unhealthy, and if the water has been sitting in the hose for a few days, there was time for stuff to dissolve. It's easy to avoid this, I just fill a pot, and pour it into my brew kettle. Then repeat.

>>I let my gear sit outside open to the elements between batches, unclean from past brew days

Increase risk of infection, good,
Increase risk of rusting, ok.
And expose elements to direct sunlight, helping to age them, got it.

>>I've used the same fermenting buckets for the past 5 years, scratches and all

So have I. But I use a dedicated sponge for cleaning it that is never used for other purposes. And I clean it within minutes of emptying it, so no bacteria gets in and has a chance to form biofilms.

>>I sanitize with bleach water the night before I brew and just rinse with more hose water

That will make your beer taste better.

>>I reuse my BIAB grain and hop bags and just quickly rinse them out

So do I. I dust off the dry grains the next day. You are adding grain to water that will be boiled, so having some bacteria on the bag wont matter. There is already a ton of bacteria on grain.

>>I use cane sugar not corn and only bring to a quick boil

Me too. I use cane sugar for bottling. I use corn sugar for recipes that need a pound or two of sugar.

>>I use water from the hose

Its potentially unhealthy, and if the water has been sitting in the hose for a few days, there was time for stuff to dissolve. It's easy to avoid this, I just fill a pot, and pour it into my brew kettle. Then repeat.

>>I let my gear sit outside open to the elements between batches, unclean from past brew days

Increase risk of infection, good,
Increase risk of rusting, ok.
And expose elements to direct sunlight, helping to age them, got it.

>>I've used the same fermenting buckets for the past 5 years, scratches and all

So have I. But I use a dedicated sponge for cleaning it that is never used for other purposes. And I clean it within minutes of emptying it, so no bacteria gets in and has a chance to form biofilms.

>>I sanitize with bleach water the night before I brew and just rinse with more hose water

That will make your beer taste better.

>>I reuse my BIAB grain and hop bags and just quickly rinse them out

So do I. I dust off the dry grains the next day. You are adding grain to water that will be boiled, so having some bacteria on the bag wont matter. There is already a ton of bacteria on grain.

>>I use cane sugar not corn and only bring to a quick boil

Me too. I use cane sugar for bottling. I use corn sugar for recipes that need a pound or two of sugar.

ahh, it's only a hobby, I lost my uptightness a long time ago, if I hadn't of posted, as mentioned no one would know... my beer circle friends are of the illusion that I make great beer, no matter my bad habits.

I pick my nose and fart too, but not in public :D

ahh, it's only a hobby, I lost my uptightness a long time ago, if I hadn't of posted, as mentioned no one would know... my beer circle friends are of the illusion that I make great beer, no matter my bad habits.

I pick my nose and fart too, but not in public :D

Its all fun n' games til' someone $hits their pants...

New one, I was running cold water into an icebath for my priming solution today and while trying to move some ice cubes to set the pan down in the sink I realized the cold water had started to pour INTO my priming solution.

I thought "Great, now I have to reboil this." And then I decided I wasn't going to do that and I continued to bottle as normal.

New one, I was running cold water into an icebath for my priming solution today and while trying to move some ice cubes to set the pan down in the sink I realized the cold water had started to pour INTO my priming solution.

I thought "Great, now I have to reboil this." And then I decided I wasn't going to do that and I continued to bottle as normal.

Sinks can harbor a huge number of microbes, especially kitchen sinks.
You can get food poisoning from the bacteria in a kitchen sink.
I draw the line at using potentially contaminated water.

I'd never serve that beer to anyone until I had a few bottles and didn't get sick by a week later.

Latest posts

Back