Conditioning sugar = ?abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppalarge

Reaction score
If i am bottle conditioning with cane sugar, how much does that add to the ABV?

Is there some calculation i can do?

Give this a try:

{[(Pounds of sugar) x (46 points per pound per gallon/1000)]/(volume of beer)} x 131.25

So if 4 oz sugar and 5 gallons of beer:

{[(4/16) x (46/1000)] / 5} x 131.25 = x

(0.25 x 0.046)/5 * 131.25 = 0.3%

Hope this is helpful.

I think I did the calculations once and it was a range from 0.15 to 0.5. Remeber that you are also adding liquid (the boiling water in wich sugar was dissolved) so if you want perfect calculations you got to account for the sugar been used, the priming liquid volume and beer to be primed volume. The cooler you fermented and age at, less sugar you have used when priming and less abv added therefore. This being said I never account for this in my calculations I know it´s there so if I have a beer wich estimated ABV it´s 6.92 i just call it 7 and that´s it. If you want precise and the spot ABV you can´t do that mearly with calculations just send a bottle for testing.

Thank You for this! I've been keeping a journal of my brews and this was an unanswered question that I had.

The best way to tell the difference would be to conduct a scientific experiment. Drink 10 keg-conditioned beers (no added sugar); and 10 bottle-conditioned beers. On different nights of course! Take careful notes.

Cheers!

Back