Need help begginer here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnyboy1

Reaction score
I added say about 8 oranges and some grapes to a 5 gallon bucket. Than added a 2kg bag of cane sugar and 1 packet yeast.
It's been about a week now and I can taste the brew coming along. How long will it take to be done? 1 week or 2 . I just added warm water no 100 percent juice or anything.

Hey there , welcome to HBT!

The only way to know if fermentation is complete is to check the gravity . Do you have a hydrometer? Did you cut the grapes or are they whole? If they're whole I'm not sure what they'll bring to the table because the skin is so tough . When you get a chance check out the mead section . You might need some nutrients to help out with fermentation.

Hey there , welcome to HBT!

The only way to know if fermentation is complete is to check the gravity . Do you have a hydrometer? Did you cut the grapes or are they whole? If they're whole I'm not sure what they'll bring to the table because the skin is so tough . When you get a chance check out the mead section . You might need some nutrients to help out with fermentation.
I cut the grapes yes. Wasn't alot but it Def added flavor.
I just used simple Fleischmann yeast 1 pack and about 4 gallons water to 2kg bag of sugar. Plus the fruits. It's close to a week now about 6 days. It had a cocktail vodka taste to it. Someone said to try a small pop bottle and freeze it. And thaw out or take alcohol from it. I'm just experimenting. I live in an isolated place and ingredients are simple here

welcome to the forum. a lot going on here . fermenting straight sugar with bread yeast can be challenging to say the least. the bread yeast is not used to just seeing sugar. just like wine yeast beer yeast mead yeast etc.

thus the nutrient reccomendation and mead forum suggestions above.

yes 3 stable hydro readings will confirm termination of fermentation but the best way to know when your brew is done is trial and error or better yet try a trusted recipe this way others have done the work for you. for example edwort says to leave his apfelwein on pirmary for 1 month. im sure it ferments out way before then but if you ask ed it takes 1 month . lol. point is you wont know til you try. thats why i recommend recipes before experimentation.

freeze distillation to concentrate the alcohol is a thing and it sounds like thats what you are trying to do. i would def start with a recipe as thats even harder to make without getting a terrible hangover from all the fusel alcohols you are likley going to produce and then possibly concetrate by freezing.

heres a decent article on making ice cider:

https://winemakermag.com/article/1050-making-ice-cider

i would definately first figure out how to make a decent cider or mead or meleomel or pyment or juice wine or anything before trying to make it stronger by freeze distillation.

Back