Concerning recipe times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConAcide

Reaction score
I know this is a noob question, but a lot of recipes that I have read are a little confusing, specifically regarding time.

For example, if a recipe says:

Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

and then later it will say something like:

Steeping Grains (25min)

and then

Hops: 1.0 oz Hallertau (60min)

Can anyone explain these times to me? If I understand correctly, the grains are steeped around 155F for 25 minutes, and then taken out. The boil is for 60 minutes. At what point are the hops added? At the start of the boil or at flame-out? Thanks, guys.

Yes, steep the grains around 155F. Then remove them and bring to a boil. Once you get to a boil you can add your 60 minute hop addition and start the time on the 60 minute boil. Hop times in recipes are generally how long you boil the hops for.

Steeping grains are preboil. Usually after extract is added.

The 60 minute hop addition is added at the start of the 60 minute boil.

Yeah boil times usually count down from 60min. so "15min" is 15minutes BEFORE you cut the flame, or 45min into the boil. But if you see something after 0min (flameout) like "+20min", it means to add this ingredient 20min after flameout, before chilling. That "60min hallertau" is the bittering addition at the start of the boil

Most other "times" in recipes are given in hours or days INTO fermentation. So like "7days: dry hop" you add the dry hops 7 days after pitching your yeast

but yeah steeping grains times are another exception, but partial mash isn't too common. In regular all grain you steep all your grains for the full mash time. Here, you steep a small amount of grains for a given time and temp, then that gets strained into your boil kettle along with the malt extracts before bringing to a boil

Back