Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to report on my experiences with F1. Here's a couple of notable behaviors

1.) Finishes low gravity beers so quick that it is scary. I had a 1.055 get to FG at 3-4 days . Pitched with a starter and almost didn't have time to dry hop in primary

2.) After the first generation, it started floccing pretty well. I must admit that this was actually disappointing! My starters are always the most clear in the cabinet.

3.) I get quite a few spicy Belgian flavors from it. I quite like the taste!

So happy I got it! Thanks a ton :mug:

Glad you enjoyed the yeast :mug: Regarding #3 and the spicy flavors, it would unfortunately suggest that you have some kind of a contamination in your yeast cultures, as both of these hybrid strains are unable to produce 4-vinylguaiacol (i.e. the spicy phenolic flavor which I assume you are referring to).

I have a batch of yeast ready now, so in case anyone wants to try out the hybrid, please send an email to [my username] at gmail. For those that have already contacted me, I'll be sending out an email to you regarding payment information later today!

huh, interesting. I hadn't thought of that. It's a really benign flavor and I wouldn't expect it to be so subtle if it were a contamination. I could just be interpreting the flavor wrong. I am by no means a cicerone

Glad you enjoyed the yeast :mug: Regarding #3 and the spicy flavors, it would unfortunately suggest that you have some kind of a contamination in your yeast cultures, as both of these hybrid strains are unable to produce 4-vinylguaiacol (i.e. the spicy phenolic flavor which I assume you are referring to).

I have a batch of yeast ready now, so in case anyone wants to try out the hybrid, please send an email to [my username] at gmail. For those that have already contacted me, I'll be sending out an email to you regarding payment information later today!

I just tasted a sample from my most recent starter, and it was definitely fruit forward. I must have eaten something prior to my last tasting to really throw it off.

By reading your blog, I noticed that you do this as more than just a hobby. Do you, by any chance, happen to know much about glycerol production from beer yeast? I have access to journals from my .edu account and have been searching through literature in an attempt to maximize glycerol in my beers.

Well, it seems North America is closer to Finland then Northern Europe (Latvia). Still waiting for mine.

I just received my vials yesterday- thanks Suregork!

Ive not had experience in starting with small amounts like this and then stepping them up to pitch levels.

My plan is to try this with one of my NE IPA recipes which generally have OG around 1.068. Ive used commercially available London III and Conan strains in the past.

Would someone with more experience walk me through their process? Really psyched to try this out.

I just received my vials yesterday- thanks Suregork!

Ive not had experience in starting with small amounts like this and then stepping them up to pitch levels.

My plan is to try this with one of my NE IPA recipes which generally have OG around 1.068. Ive used commercially available London III and Conan strains in the past.

Would someone with more experience walk me through their process? Really psyched to try this out.

I made 200 ml starter, split into two beer bottles, so 100 ml each. I am going to let them ferment for 3 days and going to add 150 ml wort on top of each, after that move to a flask with 500 ml wort in it. Hope that worka

For each I made 100ml. starter of 1.020 wort in a mason jar and put it in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes, cooled and pitch the micro tubes I received. At the same time I prepared 200 ml jars of 1.040 wort the same way and will pitch the entire initial starter after 96 hours. Then 500ml to a full 2L starter from there I will divide and save some (frozen in glycerol) and grow some from an up coming batch.

Mine was unaffected by the middle passage and jumped to life. Stepping up to 200 ml tonight.

Man I had forgotten about this. I was in the initial send off in the milk the funk group. I think it's been almost a year now, never got around to using it or adding it to my bank. I don't think I'll be able to receive such a small cell count without drift in gene expression or mutation.

Anyone try this in a Ne IPA recipe yet?

Anyone try this in a Ne IPA recipe yet?
I've used F1 in two NEIPAs thus far. Absolutely love it. This will likely become my house IPA yeast (at least for juicy IPAs). Hell, I haven't even brewed with the F1/C4 variant yet! I was thinking about trying it on my next NEIPA...but I'm brewing it for my wedding and kind of want to stick with F1 since I know that one so well. But I'll get around to C4 later this spring.

Think this yeast would work in an APA judged strictly by bjcp standards? Maybe mash a bit high so its not too dry or .........?

Sounds like it doesnt dry out too much like the "brett" parent strain......

my IPA came out pretty dry, but then again it was only base malt and oats. I'm going to try it with some caramel/cara malts when I'm back in the States

Does anyone have any recommendations for fermentation temps? I want all the fruity esters from the yeast, don't know if I get those from the lower 60's or higher 60's. Ill be using it this coming weekend.

I've used both F1 and F1C4 three times each in beers. Attenuation for both was as follows:

F1 - 76.5% > 89.9% > 84.2%

F1C4 - 78% > 77.8% > 74%

For both I follow the same fermentation schedule I do using Conan yeast:

Day 1 - 66
Day 2 - 68
Day 3 - 70
Day 4 - 72
Day 5 - 72
Day 6 - 75
Day 7 - 75

I've used both F1 and F1C4 three times each in beers. Attenuation for both was as follows:

F1 - 76.5% > 89.9% > 84.2%

F1C4 - 78% > 77.8% > 74%

For both I follow the same fermentation schedule I do using Conan yeast:

Day 1 - 66
Day 2 - 68
Day 3 - 70
Day 4 - 72
Day 5 - 72
Day 6 - 75
Day 7 - 75

Are you ramping between these temp? Or free rise or raising the heat all at once?

Just brewed an IPA and pitched F1. OG 1.052 No activity yet, can't wait to see how it turns out!

How's the F1 flocc'ing so far? My buddy brewed a heavy Galaxy/Citra IPA, within 3 days, dropped fairly clear compared to Conan and 644.

I'd love to see a picture of this one when it finishes up. One of my earlier iterations of NEIPA had honey malt in it and I think that's what made mine darker than I wanted. I'd like to see yours for comparison.

Have a version on tap with Conan and citra/mosiac. Could pour a glass for a pic, but little early and home with a sick 1.5 year old, that would not be responsible :)

Have a version on tap with Conan and citra/mosiac. Could pour a glass for a pic, but little early and home with a sick 1.5 year old, that would not be responsible :)

Ha! Understandable. No rush.

How you like that citra/mosaic combo? I am in love with mosaic right now. My last (most successful) NEIPA was citra/mosaic/el dorado. But planning on all citra/mosaic (more mosaic than citra) for the next one.

I'm kegging my first F1 beer today. I've cold crashed since Monday so that should have dropped everything that's going to drop. Basic IPA recipe with only 2 row and crystal. Ill post a pic later today.

Back