Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd definitely start propagating it either for a beer or storage. I was worried it might be so tuckered out after the hot weather and customs that the stress may change its properties if I waited too long.

I got mine 2 weeks before I wanted to brew with it so I started it up, then separated it into a big starter to use and a small one to just harvest. I've been decanting and pitching new wort on the brew one a few times to try and build it up more.

Can't wait to hear your opinion on these strains m00ps.
If willing and able, I'd kick up some bones to get some slurry down I24. Figured 2 hours down 24 is better than half way around the world in late July.
Happy brewing. Subbed.

I'd definitely start propagating it either for a beer or storage. I was worried it might be so tuckered out after the hot weather and customs that the stress may change its properties if I waited too long.

I got mine 2 weeks before I wanted to brew with it so I started it up, then separated it into a big starter to use and a small one to just harvest. I've been decanting and pitching new wort on the brew one a few times to try and build it up more.
Good call. It'll likely be about 4 weeks until I'm ready to brew with this. Trying to decide if I should go your route and just keep the brew batch going until I'm ready (and harvesting a smaller amount for storage). Or, in the alternative, step it up to 2L then split it in jars and store in the fridge (then make a new starter in 4 weeks or whenever I'm ready to brew with it). Thoughts?

Two of my favorite yeasts. Imperial Org. Yeast released a blend of these two they call "DryHop" (A24), but an actual hybrid should give more consistent results, This sounds great.

This sounds comparable to A24 "Dry Hop" from Imperial Organic Yeast. It's a blend of Conan and Sacc. Trois

What is the average shipping time from Finland to Mid-West? (St.Louis,MO) Kristoffer said he was shipping this past Monday so it's only been 6days but I'm a little excited to get to work with this strain.

What is the average shipping time from Finland to Mid-West? (St.Louis,MO) Kristoffer said he was shipping this past Monday so it's only been 6days but I'm a little excited to get to work with this strain.
I've been wondering the same thing (mine shipped Monday as well, I'm on the east coast). I saw m00ps mention in another thread his took two weeks to get to the east coast (where I am as well). So probably around two weeks? I've been staying at my old lady's a lot lately so I keep going by my house after work to see if it's come so I don't let it sit outside in our 100+ degree weather.

I've been wondering the same thing (mine shipped Monday as well, I'm on the east coast). I saw m00ps mention in another thread his took two weeks to get to the east coast (where I am as well). So probably around two weeks? I've been staying at my old lady's a lot lately so I keep going by my house after work to see if it's come so I don't let it sit outside in our 100+ degree weather.

Did you get any kind of tracking number?
Temps are supposed to go back down to high 80's low 90's here this week so hopefully it comes before they run back up. Good thing is my wife is a stay at home mom so I can have her throw it in the fridge for me as soon as it gets here.

Did you get any kind of tracking number?
Temps are supposed to go back down to high 80's low 90's here this week so hopefully it comes before they run back up. Good thing is my wife is a stay at home mom so I can have her throw it in the fridge for me as soon as it gets here.
No, didn't get a tracking number. You should be fine if you get it in the fridge as soon as you get it. I'm going to go ahead and start stepping mine up within 24 hours or so of getting it. I'm not ready to use it quite yet but I'm going to go ahead and step up and split into smaller jars and store in the fridge until I'm ready. So I can give them a nice little wake up after traveling so far.

Sorry, I wasn't able to get tracking numbers for the package with the low shipping price that was offered. Usually shipments to the US have taken around 5-7 business days to reach the destitation with priority shipping, so hopefully they should be with you soon! If the yeast doesn't survive the shipping, let me know and I'll make sure to send you some more :)

No, didn't get a tracking number. You should be fine if you get it in the fridge as soon as you get it. I'm going to go ahead and start stepping mine up within 24 hours or so of getting it. I'm not ready to use it quite yet but I'm going to go ahead and step up and split into smaller jars and store in the fridge until I'm ready. So I can give them a nice little wake up after traveling so far.

That's kind of my plan too. I ordered some 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks for stepping these up and they should be here Wed-Thurs. I'll probably go 200ml, 500ml, 1000ml and then 2000ml and pour that off into 500ml jars for using, storing and sharing.

Sorry, I wasn't able to get tracking numbers for the package with the low shipping price that was offered. Usually shipments to the US have taken around 5-7 business days to reach the destitation with priority shipping, so hopefully they should be with you soon! If the yeast doesn't survive the shipping, let me know and I'll make sure to send you some more :)

I didn't assume we would receive tracking for the price paid. So long as it gets here that's all that matters to me.
Thank you for your kindness and willingness to share these yeasts with those of us in other parts of the world! I'll update with progress reports as they come. I'm pretty excited so it shouldn't be long!

No worries at all brother! I'll let you know when mine arrive.

pitched my F1 yeast thing morning. I'm not doing a split batch or anything between it and Conan, the F1/C4 hybrid, or some other yeast since I don't have the capacity for 10gal. But it is a staple recipe I've done a number of times with little changes.

I'm planning on using the F1/C4 in something else in a few weeks. Im thinking maybe a farmhouse IPA mixed with something else. It won't give me conclusive results as to how it compares, but the smell I got from the starters made me think it would go great with a saison yeast and some tropical hops

Need yalls advice...

I got mine in the mail today. Shipped last Monday. That's 11 days in transit. I got the ice pack but obviously it wasn't still frozen. It was thrown in the fridge within hours of getting to my mailbox (it's hot as balls here btw). I can start stepping up until Sunday (48 hours from now). If you were in my shoes would you keep it in the fridge until Sunday or leave it at room temp on the counter? It's in the fridge now. Thanks.

That sucks :( as I wrote in the PM I'll send you new ones! I guess the big temperature changes has caused some pressure buildup. Also I tried a different type of vials for this round, and they don't seem to be as suitable as the old type. If this happened to someone else, let me know!

That sucks :( as I wrote in the PM I'll send you new ones! I guess the big temperature changes has caused some pressure buildup. Also I tried a different type of vials for this round, and they don't seem to be as suitable as the old type. If this happened to someone else, let me know!

Thank you!!!!!! Our postal carriers on this side of the pond have a reputation of being a little rough with packages so that could've been part of the problem.
Hopefully the new ones arrive safe and sound!

Just got mine on Tuesday, both look fine.
Going to try it in a 50 ibu pale ale with mosaic, nelson and citra

I pitched mine today into about half a bottle worth of wort and will step them up in time. My F1 vial was on the low side, maybe a leak? If it doesn't work out, does anyone have a clean batch of F1 they'd consider mailing after a PayPal "donation"? :)

I agree that this sounds like Imperial A24 in terms of attenuation, flocculation, and flavor profile. Imperial is only available in a few stores unfortunately.

Just finished a brew with A24, and had consistent results. 82% attenuation, juicy backbone. The malt was 80% 2-row, 8% flaked wheat, 5% Crystal, and 8% dextrose. Really accentuated the hop characters from Mosaic, Columbus, and Amarillo in the boil/whirlpool, and Mosaic/Galaxy in the dry hop.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470784016.701055.jpg

This sounds comparable to A24 "Dry Hop" from Imperial Organic Yeast. It's a blend of Conan and Sacc. Trois

I agree that this sounds like Imperial A24 in terms of attenuation, flocculation, and flavor profile. Imperial is only available in a few stores unfortunately.

Just finished a brew with A24, and had consistent results. 82% attenuation, juicy backbone. The malt was 80% 2-row, 8% flaked wheat, 5% Crystal, and 8% dextrose. Really accentuated the hop characters from Mosaic, Columbus, and Amarillo in the boil/whirlpool, and Mosaic/Galaxy in the dry hop.

View attachment 365657

Nice looking beer! Again, just to be clear though the Imperial A24 and others that folks have mentioned are yeast blends. What we're talking about here are yest genetic hybrids.

Ideally the hybrids should give you more consistent results than the blends, as in the blend one of the strains could outpace the other.

I really can't decide what to brew with these two guys. After finally having my first NEIPA, I'm thinking about going that route. Never made an NEIPA before...

I really can't decide what to brew with these two guys. After finally having my first NEIPA, I'm thinking about going that route. Never made an NEIPA before...

My F1 didn't survive the trip but what was left of the F1/C4 is now fully built up and ready to brew with! Hopefully some new F1 will arrive soon.
My plan is to brew a pretty basic blonde ale first to see what kind of yeast character I can pick up and then play off that in a NEIPA. Plan is to do the same with F1 and then compare the results from all 4 batches.

Yeah, my recommendation here would be to start with something very simple here and do a split batch (or 2 batches of the same beer) so you can pitch the F1 in one and the F1C4 in another. Then you can get an idea of the differences between the two and plan further brews for them.

I did a very basic Golden Promise/Galaxy SMaSH for my first one and was quite pleased with the results. See Kristoffer's previous post on my results if you're interested.

When y'all started stepping these up, how much lag time did you see before krausen started kicking up?

F1/C4 took about 36hr but I didn't have it on the stirplate. 200ml
F1 I do have on the stirplate also 200 ml and it showed life in about 20hr. The first hour I ran the speed on med/hi to aerate and then turned it down to low to maintain a healthy vortex.
I will be brewing with these this coming week and I'm quiet excited. F1/C4 smelled very promising once it was built up at the 1500ml level!!! F1 is currently on stage one so we'll see how it comes along over the next couple days and steps. Planning on brewing a pale ale with the F1/C4 using cascade and centennial hops I harvested from my plants this week. F1 will be used in a NE IPA that I will be using Citra,Mosaic, and Galaxy in copious amounts in hop stand and a 2 stage dry hop. [emoji482]

F1/C4 took about 36hr but I didn't have it on the stirplate. 200ml
F1 I do have on the stirplate also 200 ml and it showed life in about 20hr. The first hour I ran the speed on med/hi to aerate and then turned it down to low to maintain a healthy vortex.
I will be brewing with these this coming week and I'm quiet excited. F1/C4 smelled very promising once it was built up at the 1500ml level!!! F1 is currently on stage one so we'll see how it comes along over the next couple days and steps. Planning on brewing a pale ale with the F1/C4 using cascade and centennial hops I harvested from my plants this week. F1 will be used in a NE IPA that I will be using Citra,Mosaic, and Galaxy in copious amounts in hop stand and a 2 stage dry hop. [emoji482]
Excellent! I started mine last night in about 125ml of 1.020 wort. No stir plate, but will go on the plate when I step it up to larger quantities.

Care to share your NEIPA recipe? I've never done an NEIPA and want to do one with these guys. And I was looking at citra for sure, and considering mosaic and galaxy as well (haven't brewed with galaxy yet). I'm considering a similar approach as well, small bittering charge, then everything else after flameout and dry hop.

FWIW, both of these slurries smelled fantastic when I opened them up to pitch last night.

Excellent! I started mine last night in about 125ml of 1.020 wort. No stir plate, but will go on the plate when I step it up to larger quantities.

Care to share your NEIPA recipe? I've never done an NEIPA and want to do one with these guys. And I was looking at citra for sure, and considering mosaic and galaxy as well (haven't brewed with galaxy yet). I'm considering a similar approach as well, small bittering charge, then everything else after flameout and dry hop.

FWIW, both of these slurries smelled fantastic when I opened them up to pitch last night.

Let me know if this works. Using my mobile so it may or may not work.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/export/text/390763

Yep! Had to copy and paste the link, but still got it. Thanks. Now I'm thinking of tweaking my grist to something along these lines. You've brewed this one before? I haven't done an NEIPA yet. Actually just had my first true NEIPAs recently when a buddy got a massive haul of Trillium fresh hops. Now I NEED to make one.

Yep tried and true. A little modified but still very close to the original recipe posted by Braufessor. It's a long on going discussion in the recipe section. Look for "Northeast" IPA in the Ales recipe section. Should be close to the top.

Yep tried and true. A little modified but still very close to the original recipe posted by Braufessor. It's a long on going discussion in the recipe section. Look for "Northeast" IPA in the Ales recipe section. Should be close to the top.
Fantastic. You've just made my decision for me. This is the grist I'm going with.

Had krausen this morning on F1 (that's about a 36 hour lag time, for anyone interested). Nothing yet on F1/C4, but I'm hoping I'll see something when I get home from work tonight.

ETA: I'll probably go into 500ml next. Then to 1500 after that.

From Kristoffer re-posting my Milk the Funk post back on page 2:

I stepped them up from the small vials he sent going 50ml > 100ml > 250ml >1L. From there I harvested 2 - 500ml jars of each of the F1 and F1C4 variants.

As far as fermentation goes, I noticed the same thing when fermenting the beers as I did when stepping up the samples and making my starters for this batch - the F1C4 variant seemed to lag about 12-16 hours or so behind the F1 variant in terms of showing signs of fermentation, but then it caught up pretty quickly, produced a larger krausen, and finished quickly and slightly lower than the F1 variant. For this split batch the F1 finished at 1.012 and the F1C4 finished at 1.010.

------

From those first 2 - 500ml jars I wound up with I gave 1 to a friend and then used the other to make a 2L starter. I used 1L for a 3 gallon batch and then again harvested 2 - 500ml jars for future use.

I noticed signs of fermentation pretty quickly even at the smaller stages, and that was after my wife stuck the original package in the freezer for a good 12-18 hours :smack:

Right now I'm propping up samples of Kristoffer's Lachancea Fermentati strain which is a yeast that produces lactic acid as well as ethanol and CO2 :ban:

I've got a sour blonde with apricots dry-hopped with Citra and Amarillo going with the F1 varaint of this, this weekend I'm brewing a NEPA using the F1 variant, and then I'm going to do a pale ale with the F1C4 shortly.

Back