Conan x WLP644 hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never head a flask break from heating on my ceramic stove in my current place, or my gas stove in my old place when I first started 3 years ago (though i've broken my fair share of flasks by several other means)

As long as its borosilicate grade glass, I wouldnt give it a second thought boiling it on the stove. Just dont temp shock it in a cold water bath or something.

sidenote: I'll post my experience with these yeasts soon. I've used both the f1 and f1/c4 in 6 or 7 beers now in varying capacities, a couple were mixed with other yeasts. I need to go over all my brew logs and notes to make sense of it all, but ive been pretty busy. Its good to read a lot of others are getting the more pineapple geared flavors from the f1/c4 because I definitely picked that out
Excellent to know. Thank you. I just went back to my Amazon orders and saw the one I have is "High quality inert 3.3 borosilicate glass."

Side note: Any problems getting the DME in the narrower mouth of the flask when it's got steam coming out from boiling? We all know how sticky and clumpy DME can get when it is even in the same zipcode as water.

Excellent to know. Thank you. I just went back to my Amazon orders and saw the one I have is "High quality inert 3.3 borosilicate glass."

Side note: Any problems getting the DME in the narrower mouth of the flask when it's got steam coming out from boiling? We all know how sticky and clumpy DME can get when it is even in the same zipcode as water.

Add cold water to your flask, place flask with funnel on your scale and tare it out, pour in predetermined weight of DME and swirl to break up clumps.
Heating and swirling will break up the clumps. This is the way I do it and it really helps cut down on the amount of goo created by the DME when adding it to the flask.

Add cold water to your flask, place flask with funnel on your scale and tare it out, pour in predetermined weight of DME and swirl to break up clumps.
Heating and swirling will break up the clumps. This is the way I do it and it really helps cut down on the amount of goo created by the DME when adding it to the flask.
This is absolutely brilliant. Why the hell didn't I think of that. I've been waiting until it boiled to add the DME /facepalm I can't thank you enough for this advice. I feel stupid. But damn glad I know now!

I do the same with my DME, but I also heat slow to start
Cold water inside and heat outside isn't good.
I use an electric coil stove with a piece of copper wire between them.
The other advantages of heating slow are it gives you time to swirl it while it's warm, but not hot and decreases chance of boil over.

I put the DME in the flask, fill with hot tap to cover DME and a bit more, microwave it until the wort just starts to bubble up, then toss in a few ice cubes to bring it down to pitch temp. Fill remainder from tap.

Ready to pitch in under 5 minutes. especially useful for making lager starters that are going to be pitched whole and not decanted, gets to 48-50f in under a minute with the ice.

I'm not great at planning ahead so I often find myself needing to pitch a starter on short notice.

Hi,

my name is Stefan from Germany and I just recently brewed an IPA with the F1 Hybrid. I tried to emulate The Alchemist´s Focal Banger and used Citra und Mosaic for the whirlpool and dry hops.
The beer turned out fantastic so I decided to submit it to a homebrew contest which the beer actually won! In addition to the expected hop aromas (dank, pine, mango, citrus) there was an extreme pleasant pineapple note which I never had before. The attenuation was rather low in the low 70s range and the fermentation at 18°C (64.4°F) took about 2 weeks. Thank´s for creating this special yeast!

Hi,

my name is Stefan from Germany and I just recently brewed an IPA with the F1 Hybrid. I tried to emulate The Alchemist´s Focal Banger and used Citra und Mosaic for the whirlpool and dry hops.
The beer turned out fantastic so I decided to submit it to a homebrew contest which the beer actually won! In addition to the expected hop aromas (dank, pine, mango, citrus) there was an extreme pleasant pineapple note which I never had before. The attenuation was rather low in the low 70s range and the fermentation at 18°C (64.4°F) took about 2 weeks. Thank´s for creating this special yeast!
Nicely done! Congrats on the award.

I'm dry hopping my NEIPA this week. I used F1 on this one. Will be kegged this weekend and pouring next week. Will report back.

Just read through this, sounds interesting. Would anyone be willing to send some of the F1 and/or F1/C4 to me? F1 would be the preference, but both sound interesting.

Just read through this, sounds interesting. Would anyone be willing to send some of the F1 and/or F1/C4 to me? F1 would be the preference, but both sound interesting.
I could probably help you out if you haven't gotten any other bites. Probably be a couple weeks though with everything I have going on right now. Just holler.

I would like some of this yeast; If you have some I would gladly pay for the shipping costs and materials involved getting it to me. PM me :)

Glad to hear about all the nice beer people have brewed with the hybrid :mug: I've been busy at work with other projects the past months, and will be for a couple more weeks, so haven't had time to grow up any batches. I hope to grow up a new one towards the end of October and I'll be able to send out samples after that again! Hope you can stay patient :)

Just wanted to check in with folks that have some experience with the F1C4 regarding lag times.

I know when I was growing up my samples and did a 6 gallon split batch I noticed about 12 hours additional lag time for the F1C4 than the F1.

F1 was generally kicking things off at around the 12 hour mark, and then at the 24 hour mark F1C4 would kick in, then kick in and overtake F1.

Saturday I brewed my first 6 gallon batch using F1C4. After 24 hours there was zero activity (I use a bluetooth probe to constantly monitor gravity during fermentation). 36 hours later, still nothing.

That was this morning, so I took one of the 500ml jars I harvested from my starter (which looked A-OK) added 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and added that to the fermenter. 5 hours later fermentation kicked in, and it's chugging along now.

So do you think I was just falling for the old homebrew noob mistake of "no fermentation in 36 hours, something terrible has happened" mistake, and it would have taken off by itself?

Just wanted to check in with folks that have some experience with the F1C4 regarding lag times.

I know when I was growing up my samples and did a 6 gallon split batch I noticed about 12 hours additional lag time for the F1C4 than the F1.

F1 was generally kicking things off at around the 12 hour mark, and then at the 24 hour mark F1C4 would kick in, then kick in and overtake F1.

Saturday I brewed my first 6 gallon batch using F1C4. After 24 hours there was zero activity (I use a bluetooth probe to constantly monitor gravity during fermentation). 36 hours later, still nothing.

That was this morning, so I took one of the 500ml jars I harvested from my starter (which looked A-OK) added 2 tsp of yeast nutrient and added that to the fermenter. 5 hours later fermentation kicked in, and it's chugging along now.

So do you think I was just falling for the old homebrew noob mistake of "no fermentation in 36 hours, something terrible has happened" mistake, and it would have taken off by itself?

I remember getting weird lag times with both strains at some points. I think I remember the first being with f1/c4, which I thought was weird since I figured it was selected more for its practical brewing capabilities. But after using each of them in a few different beers (harvested from the starter though not the finished beer) the lag times have gotten much more normal. I had one go close to 72 hrs before I saw anything but the beer itself turned out fine

I remember getting weird lag times with both strains at some points. I think I remember the first being with f1/c4, which I thought was weird since I figured it was selected more for its practical brewing capabilities. But after using each of them in a few different beers (harvested from the starter though not the finished beer) the lag times have gotten much more normal. I had one go close to 72 hrs before I saw anything but the beer itself turned out fine

Thanks, M00ps! I've not experienced any delays with F1, it is usually cranking along really quickly.

Again though, this was my first full size batch using F1C4, so wasn't sure what to expect here.

At this point I'm fairly certain that had I just waited a bit more it would have taken off without the extra yeast. There's just no way that amount would have reacted that quickly.

Still fermenting along quite nicely here :ban:

Hey dudes, question about knowing when/if a harvested yeast slurry is infected.

I was stepping up my F1/C4 the other week and was harvesting off 250ml jars, per my usual practice. After I filled my prepared and sanitized jars, I had a little left in the flask. Of course I don't like wasting. So I grabbed a few of my 50ml centrifuge tubes I use to collect dregs with.

Here's the issue. I can't remember how or if I sanitized these tubes. At a bare minimum I'm pretty sure I sprayed down the insides with star san. Also, these tubes are brand new, never used for dregs, and they're supposedly sterile, but I still sanitize them anyway when I know ahead of time I am using them for something.

Thoughts? Should I just dump these as a precaution since I already have three other jars of this variant that I know are sanitary?

Hey dudes, question about knowing when/if a harvested yeast slurry is infected.

I was stepping up my F1/C4 the other week and was harvesting off 250ml jars, per my usual practice. After I filled my prepared and sanitized jars, I had a little left in the flask. Of course I don't like wasting. So I grabbed a few of my 50ml centrifuge tubes I use to collect dregs with.

Here's the issue. I can't remember how or if I sanitized these tubes. At a bare minimum I'm pretty sure I sprayed down the insides with star san. Also, these tubes are brand new, never used for dregs, and they're supposedly sterile, but I still sanitize them anyway when I know ahead of time I am using them for something.

Thoughts? Should I just dump these as a precaution since I already have three other jars of this variant that I know are sanitary?

I'd say since it sounds like you'd need to build a starter from each anyway, that you are ok. Likely not infected, and if it is, you'd know for sure when you build up a starter.

Quick update on my F1C4 beer. Lag time ended up being about 48 hours, but then pretty vigorous fermentation kicked in and took it from 1.065 > 1.014 in about 36 hours.

Does Imperial Organic Yeast A24 Dry Hop Yeast try to mimic the discussions in this thread? I just noticed this thread though I just started a new one about the strain specifically from Imperial

I'm drinking a NEIPA I did with the F1 variant. Absolutely love this yeast. I'm not thrilled with the beer overall (mainly just color and bittering) but I'm ready to make this beer again with some tweaks. I'm going to pitch the F1/C4 within a week or two.

Brewed another (better, hopefully) NEIPA yesterday with F1. Pitched yesterday around 5pm. Just went home at lunch and it is going nuts. I've seriously never had this active fermentation before. The blow off tube is steady blowing off krausen. Had to empty the blow off catch vessel some so it didn't overflow. I swear I think this yeast gets stronger every time I use it.

So here's my quick updates, sorry I dont have recipe specifics:

F1 - This one seems to flocc a bit more for me and has more peachy flavor. Can;t speak too much as to the attenuation compared to F1/C4, but I haven;t had any under attenuation issues. I've used this in 2 NE style IPAs and my favorite DIPA recipe I often make. SO far, this yeast has got me 2 golds and a silver in competition.

F1/C4 - This one floccs a bit less and has more of a pineapple taste along with the peach. I've used it in a DIPA and a black IPA. The Black IPA was especially good and nabbed a silver. The pineapple worked well with my pine/dank/citrus flavors I usually focus on for this style.

I've done a few other senseless yeast blending experiments too, but they haven't really helped me make any conclusions as to my impressions of these yeasts.

Side note - My F1 culture *may* be infected with some mild lacto or pedio. Not too sure. I had a accident at the sink decanting and salvaged what I could of what shouldve been clean. I promptly built another starter from what was left. But when I decanted that to harvest, it tasted noteably more tart than I'm used to. It couldve just been exposure to air though over an extended period since I had ot be away from my place for a few days unexpectedly. If I do find out its infected, I may try to reach out to one of you guys since I definitely value this unique culture

Brewed another (better, hopefully) NEIPA yesterday with F1. Pitched yesterday around 5pm. Just went home at lunch and it is going nuts. I've seriously never had this active fermentation before. The blow off tube is steady blowing off krausen. Had to empty the blow off catch vessel some so it didn't overflow. I swear I think this yeast gets stronger every time I use it.

So here's my quick updates, sorry I dont have recipe specifics:

F1 - This one seems to flocc a bit more for me and has more peachy flavor. Can;t speak too much as to the attenuation compared to F1/C4, but I haven;t had any under attenuation issues. I've used this in 2 NE style IPAs and my favorite DIPA recipe I often make. SO far, this yeast has got me 2 golds and a silver in competition.

F1/C4 - This one floccs a bit less and has more of a pineapple taste along with the peach. I've used it in a DIPA and a black IPA. The Black IPA was especially good and nabbed a silver. The pineapple worked well with my pine/dank/citrus flavors I usually focus on for this style.

I've done a few other senseless yeast blending experiments too, but they haven't really helped me make any conclusions as to my impressions of these yeasts.

Side note - My F1 culture *may* be infected with some mild lacto or pedio. Not too sure. I had a accident at the sink decanting and salvaged what I could of what shouldve been clean. I promptly built another starter from what was left. But when I decanted that to harvest, it tasted noteably more tart than I'm used to. It couldve just been exposure to air though over an extended period since I had ot be away from my place for a few days unexpectedly. If I do find out its infected, I may try to reach out to one of you guys since I definitely value this unique culture

I'm happy you've enjoyed the yeast! I'll be culturing up some more yeast really soon, so I'll gladly send you some more if you think one of your cultures might be infected :)

If anyone else is interested in trying out these strains, drop me an email (my username at gmail)!

Is this something I should be cautious of? I've got mine on the stir plate as we speak.

Is this something I should be cautious of? I've got mine on the stir plate as we speak.
Nah, m00ps is just clumsy. Just kidding, m00ps. I've had no problems with either of my strains. Haven't brewed with the C4 yet, but I've brewed with F1 twice and I've stepped up both multiple times with no issues.

Good deal. m00ps hooked me up. Just wanted to make sure my new speidel doesn't get converted to a sour fermenter.

Nah, your good. I had separate starters going for what I was going to pitch and what I was harvesting for myself and send you. I actually pitched the one I thought mightve been infected after tasting it right before. It seems the smell I was getting was just probably a bit of acetic acid due exposure to oxygen while I was away

After a week on the stir plate and 2 step-up's I finally am seeing signs of fermentation. I was getting worried there.

After a week on the stir plate and 2 step-up's I finally am seeing signs of fermentation. I was getting worried there.
I've brewed with the F1 variant twice now. My second F1 beer is finishing dry hopping now. This was without question the most violent fermentation I've ever had. Even more violent than the first F1 beer I did. Not that I am complaining! This was the first beer I've have to dump out some of the blow off vessel because it was blowing crazy krausen. Even had some dried krausen on the outside rim of the bucket lid. Took this beer from 1.060 to 1.006 in no time at all. I swear I think this yeast is getting stronger the more I brew with it!!

Then it is possible that it fermented so quickly that I missed signs of activity. If that's the case... WOW.

Just wanted to report on my experiences with F1. Here's a couple of notable behaviors

1.) Finishes low gravity beers so quick that it is scary. I had a 1.055 get to FG at 3-4 days . Pitched with a starter and almost didn't have time to dry hop in primary

2.) After the first generation, it started floccing pretty well. I must admit that this was actually disappointing! My starters are always the most clear in the cabinet.

3.) I get quite a few spicy Belgian flavors from it. I quite like the taste!

So happy I got it! Thanks a ton :mug:

I would very thankful if someone was willing to share the F1 strand of this yeast. Please let me know if anyone with this strand would be willing to ship. Thanks.

The OP sent out a note a few weeks ago he will be culturing up some soon. I said I was in, waiting to here an update to send him some money.

Back