competiton question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead_head

Reaction score
I have a beer made pretty much like a Bohemian pilsner, but since I'm not big on hops I did it at 15 IBU's. If I was to enter this into a BJCP competition, how would I enter it without losing points for not meeting standard style criteria?

Used weyerman pilsner grains, saaz hops, budvar 2000 yeast and extra soft water

You're going to get dinged for lack of hops if you enter it as a Bohemian. You'll nail the numbers for a Premium American Lager 1C, but not the flavor, but this would probably be your best bet.

When I want to enter a competition, I brew specifically to enter. If I'm brewing stuff I like to drink, I don't even think about entering.

First the judges don't know how many IBU's are in the beer. An experienced judge will know its not hoppy enough but if you get a judge that doesn't judge a lot of bohemian pilsners they may not have a clue that its light on ibu's. Judging is so subjective. If it is a good beer, I would enter it and see what happens. Worst case scenario maybe you get some good feedback on the beer.

I saw there is also a specialty beer category but wasn't sure if that is reserved for more off the wall recipes. I have no experience so wasn't sure how particular the judging is.

Mead_head said:
I saw there is also a specialty beer category but wasn't sure if that is reserved for more off the wall recipes. I have no experience so wasn't sure how particular the judging is.
The specialty category is the catch all for any beer that doesn't fit BJCP guidelines. You will compete against some pretty crazy beers. You also have to explain in your entry why it is in the specialty category. I don't think a low hopped pilsner fits. I would just enter it in the pilsner category and if it is a well made beer it should get the judges attention.

I have a beer made pretty much like a Bohemian pilsner, but since I'm not big on hops I did it at 15 IBU's. If I was to enter this into a BJCP competition, how would I enter it without losing points for not meeting standard style criteria?

Used weyerman pilsner grains, saaz hops, budvar 2000 yeast and extra soft water

You could call it a helles, cream ale, dortmunder, maybe a kolsch depending on character. It is certainly NOT a specialty beer.

Back