Competition within a competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStache

Reaction score
A few friends of mine had the idea to do a competition within a competition. This is continuing a trend the MeadMakr guys starts with their soda mead challenge a couple years ago. We want to see how creative people can get with a cocktail inspire mead.

#CocktailMead Challenge at the 2019 Texas Mead Cup

1) Create and enter as many entries as you'd like

2) Enter in the Experimental Mead category (M4C)

3) Standard strength is our goal (session strength doesn't seem to fit the idea of a cocktail, whereas sack seems too close to an actual cocktail)

4) Do not declare ingredients (listing honey is optional), but instead declare which cocktail inspired your mead

5) The addition of an actual liquor is probably cheating, but if you happen to have some oak that has been soaking in it, who are we to stop you?

6) Please include #CocktailMead somewhere in your entry to help us identify how many participants we had

Edit: We know the dates for the 2019 Texas Mead Cup have not been posted yet, they are currently working on that, but we wanted to give people enough time to start and finish meads before the deadlines.

A few friends of mine had the idea to do a competition within a competition. This is continuing a trend the MeadMakr guys starts with their soda mead challenge a couple years ago. We want to see how creative people can get with a cocktail inspire mead.

#CocktailMead Challenge at the 2019 Texas Mead Cup

1) Create and enter as many entries as you'd like

2) Enter in the Experimental Mead category (M4C)

3) Standard strength is our goal (session strength doesn't seem to fit the idea of a cocktail, whereas sack seems too close to an actual cocktail)

4) Do not declare ingredients (listing honey is optional), but instead declare which cocktail inspired your mead

5) The addition of an actual liquor is probably cheating, but if you happen to have some oak that has been soaking in it, who are we to stop you?

6) Please include #CocktailMead somewhere in your entry to help us identify how many participants we had

Edit: We know the dates for the 2019 Texas Mead Cup have not been posted yet, they are currently working on that, but we wanted to give people enough time to start and finish meads before the deadlines.

In what city will the 2019 Texas Mead Cup be held?

A "rusty nail" is made with scotch and drambuie and I think you can make a version of drambuie using scotch, heather, honey, (heather honey?) angelica and fennel or perhaps some licorice root so you might want to cold smoke the honey using peat...if scotch is not an ingredient of the mead.

Heather honey would make an awesome mead. I'd be willing to do that with spices and scotch soaked oak to simulate Drambuie. Most of the cocktail recipes I find have citrus though, which I'm not keen on fermenting. But then there's the outrageous price of heather honey to consider too. Hmm.

Latest posts

Back