Competition Integrity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
I am currently brewing/fermenting a brew that I hope to enter in my first comp. The recipe is one I found online. Is this cool or not? Is it okay to enter a brew of your own making even though you did't formulate the recipe yourself. Even though I modified the hops a bit I still feel like this is truly not "my" recipe. Has anyone else ever thought about this?:confused:

I'd say don't sweat it if the recipe isn't yours. 10 brewers could make the same recipe 10 different ways and 1 of them will be the best. Like Kilted Brewer said, its the brewer that makes the beer, not the recipe. Process is everything! Good luck with your competition!

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a pretty good one, SWMBO couldn't tell the difference between the homebrewed and a Stone IPA, then again, she is not the biggest IPA fan in the world but her sense of taste is alot better than mine.

Cheers,

Brent

I almost wish I made beer that conformed to a certain style as I would enter comps. BUT . . . . I don't. I would not worry at all about the recipe - kilted Brewer says it best.

Yes thats allowed in general.

You should think about just reading the rules for competitions you are entering though.

Yes thats allowed in general.

You should think about just reading the rules for competitions you are entering though.

That's a good point. The rules will spell out any "oddball" requirements, like the size/color/type of bottles, the styles permitted, and if it must be an original recipe.

I've actually tasted my own recipes brewed by different brewers, and believe me, they were totally different beers! I think that water, temperature, yeast strain, age of ingredients, technique, etc, all play a part in making each beer different. It's true that you and I could each brew the same beer and not have identical results.

Back