Commercial LODO success story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep saw that article. He is a member of the **************** website and Bryan said he helped out with questions.

The power of blind belief? It's clear from the narrative that this guy has little or no idea of what he's talking about and is basing his testimonial on blind faith. Apparently that doesn't keep him from thinking he knows better than those who have tried (and at least partly failed) to teach him. :rolleyes:

"so no oxygen will exist in wort after a boil no matter how much oxygen gets introduced before."
"we’ve been able to reduce our dissolved oxygen in our mash tun from about 4 parts per million (ppm) down to about 100 parts per billion."
" when beer ferments, yeast produces sulfur. Sulfur is a natural anti oxidant and is also very volatile. When sulfur interacts with oxygen, it will reduce the oxygen and the sulfur will dissipate."

I have questions... ?!?!

Last edited:
I can't personally attest to whether Tombstone's beers have improved, but if I lived in/near Arizona, I'd make a road trip. I just looked them up in untappd, and their aggregate score (all time, not post process change) is a 4.10.

Ask away then...
On the other hand I'd like to ask him if he ever heard of partial pressure?

"Oxygen saturation is largely temperature dependent, so even if they were injecting pure oxygen, they wouldn’t have been able to get it to dissolve any more in the hot liquid than what they already had in their normal brewing process."

Really? Bubbling 100% pure O2 through the mash will not increase the O2 content? So all those homebrewers using pure O2 bursts to oxigenate their wort prior to pitching are not being as effective as they think?

In actual reality pure O2 has a partial pressure about five times that of the O2 fraction of air, so in theory you could achieve five times the O2 content of a normal non-oxigenated mash but even if you were to only achieve 3 or 4 times that you'd expect to see a huge difference compared to a standard process, right? Oh wait, he has an explanation for that as well.

" I kept on doubting that what we were doing would make any difference, but after going through this process and experiencing it firsthand, I think the key difference is that at Doemens they injected pure oxygen in one batch and they brewed another batch with their normal techniques… They didn’t actually eliminate oxygen and compare side by side with a beer brewed with excess oxygen. "

Right, because oxidation is notoriously non-cumulative but works as an all-or-nothing factor. Think I have heard this excuse more than a few times...

I think what he was trying to say about the experiment at Doemens is if you don’t eliminate the DO in the strike water before mashing you will have already lost a good deal of your natural antioxidants (fresh beer flavor) and so comparing it to another mash where you inject more oxygen will yield the same result. If you want to compare a lodo mash with a hido, one of them should actually be lodo.

Back