Columbus hop profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

could someone give a brief description of the columbus hop profile? I've heard it can be used in place of Centenial. But how is its flavor and aroma like? I've read that it is "pungent", but I'm not sure what it means to be pungent :confused:

I'm going to do a smash recipe using viena and columbus, with US-05 dry yeast. So tips on the hops are welcome :)

I've never used them, but according to its website, Magic Hat's Spring IPA is made with columbus. It was a pretty good hop flavor. You might want to pick up a bottle if its available around you to try it out.

Thanks! Sadly I can't find this beer around here, so I guess I'll have to go "into the unknow" :)

I've not used Columbus, so no personal experience to offer, but his info is taken from the Wiki:

Columbus (Tomahawk)
From Home Brewing Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

General Hop Characteristics
Country of Origin: USA
Noble: No
Uses: bittering
Beer styles: American ales and lagers, especially American IPAs and stouts
Substitutions: Centennial, Pacific Gem
Chemical Composition
Alpha Acids: 14-18 %
Beta Acids: 4.5-5.8 %
Cohumulone: 29-35 %
Myrcene: 25-45 %
Humulene: 15-25 %
Caryophyllene: 7-12 %
Farnesene: less than 1 %
Total Oil: 1.5-3.5 %
Storage

(%AA/6 M/20 C):
poor
Growing Characteristics
Yield: very high
Harvest: mid to late season
This article discusses a specific variety of hops. For general information about selecting, using or propogating hops, see the main hop page

This high alpha acid bittering hop was developed from the Centennial hop by the HopUnion breeding program. It is a low-cohumulone hop which gives a clean but long-lasting bitterness to beer. It can also be used as a dry hop in larger American beers, such as Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing.

Tomahawk® is a registered trademark of Yakima Chief Ranches, LLC, under which they sell a hop believed to be identical to Columbus.

if you can find anderson valley's 'hop ottin' IPA where you live, that's mostly columbus. it's a very resiny, 'dank' aroma and flavor (a lot of people actually make the marijuana comparison in terms of aroma). one of my favorites!

I had the Sly Dog 113 IPA this afternoon. The brewmaster said he's been using Columbus because it was hard to get Centennial hops. It had a clear resin bitterness. I thought it was assertive enough to give a nice base bitterness to the IPA, but it wasn't abrasive.

I made an "all Columbus" pale ale last year during the hops shortage. Two ounces in a five gallon batch, additions at various times throughout the boil. That beer smacked you right in the face before the first sip. Columbus hops really pack a wallop when used alone in that volume. It was a delicious but very challenging beer, for hop lovers only.

Columbus Hops

I used Columbus in my last amber ale and found them to be quite profound, but pleasant at the same time. They do have a very strong flavor/aroma profile so don't overdo it, but I'm really a big fan of this hop in the right quantities and the right type of beer.

Raising a thread from the dead, I just tapped an all Columbus IPA, and it is FANTASTIC! Big earthy, resiny hop flavor, very powerful. used about five ounces total, most where late additions, with a 1.5 o bittering charge on top of a 1.070 base. MM MM Good

because of the anderson valley hop ottin. Its really good, but not great on the gas.

I did a one gallon barleywine/triple IPA with columbus and centennials. Columbus added heavy early, and centennials added heavy late, and it was very good. I am going to scale it up for a 5 gal extract today, and hope it turns out 1/2 as good, and I will be happy.

Love me some centennials at 5 and 0 min!!

Columbus hops are my favorite hops to use for bittering 2-3 oz equals a nice punch to your buds!

Love Columbus...done it solo and with several IPAs split with one other hop. Most hit it on the head, dank and resin. I am always surprised at how potent it is as well

I might be late to the thread, but I love Columbus. It is easily my favorite hop that isn't chic or fashionable (mosaic, amarillo, citra, nelson, ect). It is very earthy. The good thing is the balance is pretty nice. Big citrus aroma/flavor to go with the earthy/piney flavor and aroma. Have also used it many times and never got the cat pissy characteristics you sometimes get with simcoe and such. I recommend it highly.

I did a mosaic/columbus blonde ale early in the year and it blew me away. The combo of the two was really something special.

This post. Bookmark it.

this page which leads to this page.
could someone give a brief description of the columbus hop profile?
"become popular for its oil profile. Great for dry
hopping."

I've heard it can be used in place of Centenial.
"Possible Substitutions
Nugget, Chinook, Wye Target, Northern Brewer,
possibly Centennial "

But how is its flavor and aroma like?
"Aroma Pungent; Typical Beer Styles
US IPA, US Pale Ale, Stout, Barley Wine, Lager
(Bittering) "

I've read that it is "pungent", but I'm not sure what it means to be pungent :confused:
Pungent means pungent. Um. Sharp and aromatic. A bit powerful and bold.

I like it.

I just pulled a bunch of Columbus off my bine today. This is my first yield off this plant and my first real experience with Columbus

I am thinking about doing 5 gal of extract IPA from Brewing Classic Styles just to get a sense of the qualities I would get from the home grown version.

I am figuring either going pellet Columbus for bitterness, then using my hops for flavor and aroma. Or maybe using something more neutral like horizon or magnum to bitter, then still going with mine for bitterness.

I know I would get a better sense of what Columbus brings to the table if I make it a single hop beer. But I would think I'd get a better sense of what MY Columbus brings to the table if I go with the neutral hop early and my hops late.

Suggestions?

Bittering with columbus pellets is fine. You will still get your hops to come through easily. Go overboard at flameout and with a dry hop...maybe whirlpool too. This will really let it shine. You could also make a hop tea to get a sense of the aroma/flavor

If you have ever had any commercial examples of beers with Chinook hops, I think they are similar. They have been described as "dank". What does that mean? To me it is the opposite side of the spectrum of noble hops. They are a bit vegetative and wild. You probably will either like this or not. Personally, I love them, they are very "loose" tasting. Would I want them in every beer? No, but I enjoy them in the ones I have had.

I have kept detailed records of all my brews for several years. After a while it has been noticed that the slightly chemical, powerfully pungent smell and taste I have had in some brews is caused by Columbus Hops. Now I will use up my supply in stouts, and not buy anymore. Summit hops have more Alpha Acid without the earthy back taste.

I used Columbus once a few years ago in a batch of what I intended to be Centennial Blonde. Centennial was unavailable at the time so I subbed in Columbus and to my surprise it turned out wonderful. The Columbus/Cascade combo produced an amazing floral aroma. I'm intrigued by the citrus, piney, and early descriptions of this hop and since I can get them dirt cheap ($17/lb) I decided to test them out in an American Wheat. I brewed the following last weekend and I'm really looking forward to the taste test:

AMERICAN WHEAT 5.5 gal / 1.052 / 28 IBU
60% Wheat
32% 2 Row
8% Oats
0.1 oz Warrior @ 60
1 oz Columbus @ 10 & 0
US-05

Back