Cold IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrGMG

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering who has made one too. I really like the few that I have tasted, and mine is really good as well.

70% pils
30% flaked rice

85 IBU
7.6% ABV

34/70 yeast

cold IPA.jpg

That's a bitter one! What was your hop schedule and fermentation temp like?

Had to look it up, that's a new term. I bet it's tasty. I'd drink one.

The branding is worth no more than an eye roll, to me. Personally, I struggle with incredibly subtle nuances that drive gimmicky labeling and marketing. But, hey...

Had to look it up, that's a new term. I bet it's tasty. I'd drink one.

The branding is worth no more than an eye roll, to me. Personally, I struggle with incredibly subtle nuances that drive gimmicky labeling and marketing. But, hey...

I hear you. I think this is much better than the brut IPA though. We'll see if this style sticks.

I tried one from Urban Roots in Sacramento that was really tasty. I can't remember the IBU, but it wasn't super bitter, pleasantly smooth and tasty with a lot of hop flavor. I hadn't heard of the style.. what's different between a regular IPA?

Never heard of it but this is what google says - personally, I have had a couple of IPLs as local breweries that were quite good:
Cold IPAs are a new spin on IPAs that work to give drinkers a crisper IPA without dipping too far into being a lager-style. ... Whereas IPL's depend on the lager yeast, moderate hops, and a crisp finish with straw-to-gold color, Cold IPAs aren't afraid to unleash the hops and crank up the ABV with a crystal-clear clarity.

For those unfamiliar with cold ipa, an informative listen:
Podcast Episode 175: Kevin Davey of Wayfinder Sets the Record Straight on “Cold IPA”

@DrGMG the flaked rice is still weird to me. How’d this work out for you?

I was about to post the same link.

@Group W this one finished at 1008 too.

@hopfenstopfen the flaked rice worked well I guess, with so much hops in this 12oz total) it does not affect flavor at all. I'm guessing using sugar here would thin the body way too much.

Grain bill and yeast look a lot like a rice based CAP or American Lager with twice the normal IBU. Of course it would also be crashed and allowed to clear.

American lagers are not >7% ABV though. This one has been in the keg for 2 weeks now, not sure it'll clear much more.

I legit thought it was a typo, and maybe meant Gold or Golden IPA. I will say it does sound interesting.

Does anyone have input regarding the water profile for a cold IPA? Planning on brewing one later this week. Thanks!

The podcast suggested using an American light lager water profile. It had some other good info. I’d recommend listening if you are planning on brewing a cold IPA.

GMG, did you make a five gallon batch? If so, did you only pitch one pouch of dry 34/70? Thinking it might need two with that ABV.

The podcast suggested using an American light lager water profile. It had some other good info. I’d recommend listening if you are planning on brewing a cold IPA.

GMG, did you make a five gallon batch? If so, did you only pitch one pouch of dry 34/70? Thinking it might need two with that ABV.

6gal batch, used 2 packets.

Very little info on the Bell’s website, but they made a Two Hearted cold ipa that should be widely available in a mixed 12 pack of different versions of Two Hearted.
Cold Hearted

I’m guessing maybe rice in here. Its super smooth, not very hoppy to my lupulin-shifted palate. Highly drinkable though.

5E842D30-A5F6-4E20-A5ED-0B1ECE83B753.jpeg

Very little info on the Bell’s website, but they made a Two Hearted cold ipa that should be widely available in a mixed 12 pack of different versions of Two Hearted.
Cold Hearted

I’m guessing maybe rice in here. Its super smooth, not very hoppy to my lupulin-shifted palate. Highly drinkable though.

View attachment 761634

Gonna have to look for it.

They really should call it warm IPL but that doesn't sound great.
It's like how Toyota called the wagon version of the Corolla a Matrix because Corolla wagon sounds dreadful.

What fresh hell is this, and what makes this any different from what we call a steam beer? I’m just guessing, but its another new haze bomb? Yeah, Like we don’t have enough of that already.

Hard pass

I’m going to work to revive an old style of beer myself that hasn’t been around for awhile that old people used to drink called “CLEAR BEER.”

Last edited:
What fresh hell is this, and what makes this any different from what we call a steam beer? I’m just guessing, but its another new haze bomb? Yeah, Like we don’t have enough of that already.

Hard pass

I’m going to work to revive an old style of beer myself that hasn’t been around for awhile that old people used to drink called “CLEAR BEER.”

Not a steam beer at all. Mine is hazy, commercial ones I've had, are crystal clear.

So beer fermented with lager yeast at ale temps is not steam beer anymore. Now we just call it something different.
I don't think a Cold IPA would do well if it was judged under 19B California Common. BJCP actually recommends entering it under 21B Specialty IPA as long as it can be distinguished from 21A.

I brewed a few IPA using lager yeast under pressure and it is always a success. Its a kind of beer that I really enjoy. I used the Lallemand Diamond lager yeast each time with success. You should not care that its not an official style or whatever... give it a try its damn good ! If you dont use gelatin or lager for a long period it will stay hazy for a few weeks.... the one on the picture used gelatin. Citra/bru-1 hops... super tasty...

Attachments

• thumbnail_66338123487__D5115F1B-B77B-4A56-A1D3-4FBEF5E354B4.fullsizerender.jpg
    thumbnail_66338123487__D5115F1B-B77B-4A56-A1D3-4FBEF5E354B4.fullsizerender.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I brewed a few IPA using lager yeast under pressure and it is always a success. Its a kind of beer that I really enjoy. I used the Lallemand Diamond lager yeast each time with success. You should not care that its not an official style or whatever... give it a try its damn good ! If you dont use gelatin or lager for a long period it will stay hazy for a few weeks.... the one on the picture used gelatin. Citra/bru-1 hops... super tasty...
Agreed.

I guess I'm an old fart now because I refuse to relent on the semantics. IPA = ale AKA top fermented. Fermenting it cold with lager yeast disqualifies it from being called an IPA. It's the same reason Black IPA is bull plop.

Call it the way you want... or we could say that DrGMG brewed a fantastic beer and he just want to share his recipe so his fellow brewers can try it.

I guess I'm an old fart now because I refuse to relent on the semantics. IPA = ale AKA top fermented. Fermenting it cold with lager yeast disqualifies it from being called an IPA. It's the same reason Black IPA is bull plop.

I thought the change from IPL to Cold IPA seemed a little unnecessary even though I love Wayfinder, the brewery who defined the new style. But hey, the beers taste good so who really cares at the end at the day?

Total truth here.

Well, I finally made my way to Wayfinder Brewing in Portland to try their Original Cold IPA. What a treat. Other than the obvious use of Pilsner malt, it is different from an IPL or a Brut IPA. The rice adjunct and 7% ABV along with the moderate use of “C” hops makes this beer shine. I plan on making this beer in the winter, but with pale malt instead of Pilsner to get further from an IPL taste profile. Cheers!
1652136182825.jpeg

Well, I finally made my way to Wayfinder Brewing in Portland to try their Original Cold IPA. What a treat. Other than the obvious use of Pilsner malt, it is different from an IPL or a Brut IPA. The rice adjunct and 7% ABV along with the moderate use of “C” hops makes this beer shine. I plan on making this beer in the winter, but with pale malt instead of Pilsner to get further from an IPL taste profile. Cheers!
View attachment 768395

Sweet! I will make mine again with different hops.

Back