Cold IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plus adjuncts. I don't have a horse in this race, but when I see people trying to categorize Cold IPA, they usually leave out the intended use (heavily) of adjuncts.

https://newschoolbeer.com/home/2021/2/what-is-a-cold-ipa-wayfinder-kevin-davey-definition
You may not have a horse, but you should have bet, 'cause in my opinion you just posted the trifecta!
Thanks for that.

Now... i think that article kinda helps pave the way for why the 'cold' ipa vs the ipl.

Thanks

@DrGMG I finally got to making a Cold IPA. This first one came in at 6%. The second is 7% and still lagering. Fantastic beers for the summer. Really need to get the pH, salts, IBUs and hops dialed in on this beer. Maybe I will get it nailed on the 3rd batch. Thanks for starting this thread!
1685828215579.jpeg

My last and only so far used a combo of Cascade and Mandarina Bavaria, 1:1 ratio with some at -10min and some at a 170F whirlpool. Sounded great but I won't do it again. The MB is indeed an interesting hop, and maybe would pair with something else or in a different ratio. It sort of overtook the cascade, and there's a strong green melon flavor with a bit of strawberry and blueberry going on. It's certainly not bad, and I did expect fruit, but I'm just not in love with it.

i'm really baffled how people get their panties in a bunch over the name. i've had several versions of this beer living near portland, oregon and all of them have been amazing. why are you taking the name personally? honestly i don't care, that's a question you should ask yourself. get over it. i don't think it's marketing it's a creative persons choice of name. you can name your beer anything you want.

Second one from me. This time I subbed the rice for flaked corn. A small group from my HB club are having a competition. Same grains and hops. Lager yeast.

This one has strata, mosaic, Citra. Excellent hop combo. Less hazy than my first one too. This is a fermenter sample.

View attachment 828821

Came back to say that my beer won the "beauty contest" my club did. It has cleared up a lot since kegging, and the strata pops, such a great hop. I think the group ended up using 4-5 different lager yeasts. Lunar Crush was interesting, might give it a try later.

I've made quite a few of these now, all with happy endings. So now I've been riffing on the style, just for fun. I did a Mango Cold IPA...which turned out excellent, but, interestingly, the 6lbs of mango puree I added fermented out completely (as usual) but left no mango flavor. It did add a fruitiness and mouthfeel that was/is (still on tap) enjoyable. This one, a Cold RyePA, is excellent. I've never got the rye "spice" flavor, but I do get a unique flavor that I can only describe as "Aunt Minnie"...meaning: Aunt Minnie is hard to describe but I know her when I see her. I used hops inspired by Denny's "Wry Smile" (at a higher rate) and a cold IPA grain bill and fermentation schedule. I added both malted rye and flaked rye, and a couple ounces of chocolate rye for a bit of color. Cheers!
IMG_5150.jpg

It has long been evident to me at least that if one wants a fruit flavor to persist in beer it has to come from the hops. Nearly everything else inevitably attenuates to the point of almost homeopathic content ;)

Fortunately, we have hops that can convey characters associated with a whole lot of fruits, even mango...

Cheers!

@day_trippr I will have to respectively disagree. I have made a multitude of fruit beers, and at 1lb per gallon of puree, the fruit usually comes through. You should taste my Prickly Pear Wheat (although that was a Coloma fruit juice concentrate). Nothing subtle about the flavor. And at 9 mango beers and counting (just added the puree to a Mango Wheat yesterday) I have a lot of experience. I have two mango trees in my backyard. Name the fruit, I've probably tried it...but you are right about the hops helping a whole lot. Cheers!

Well...I will say I brew a raspberry hibiscus wheat beer that requires a solid pound of fruit per gallon to make me happy. That's a heck of a lot of fruit, and frankly if there was a hop with a raging raspberry character it'd save me a crapton of $$$ per batch :oops:

Cheers!

@day_trippr I have brewed that beer, in three iterations; wheat, sour, and IPA. It is an excellent beer and beautiful in the glass. And I used that (6lbs/6gallons) "fruiting" rate to achieve the raspberry flavor. The Hibiscus is just for color...

Well...I will say I brew a raspberry hibiscus wheat beer that requires a solid pound of fruit per gallon to make me happy. That's a heck of a lot of fruit, and frankly if there was a hop with a raging raspberry character it'd save me a crapton of $$$ per batch :oops:

Cheers!
Sorry for taking the thread even further off topic but I just had to mention a hop I used a few years back in a hoppy season that gave off loads of raspberry flavour.
This was Monroe and I did use quite a lot as I got a discounted 250 grams pack and wanted to use them up.
It was quite intense; more like a raspberry syrup flavour than the natural fruit; if that makes sense, with a bit of an orange twang.

1698657899344.png

Ugh. At $14 for their cheapest shipping mode that'd be $25 for a pound of 5 year old hops that could take over a week on the road to get here.
My trigger finger isn't that itchy :(

Cheers!

Indeed, I may..."borrow" it 😁 ...with minor modification to the hop schedule - it's hard to find good Centennial these days so I'd change that to Amarillo...

Cheers!

What's the hop amounts and boil times? Looks like a good recipe!
I used the same process as my wcipas. 5 gallon batch. Amounts here were:
1 oz warrior @ 60 min.

2 oz each Cent/Chin/Cit in WP at 170*

1.25 oz each Cent/Chin/Cit DH in primary on Day 6.

IBU target was 58 in BS3. ABV target was 7% with FG of 1.009. Boil was 60 min.

Indeed, I may..."borrow" it 😁 ...with minor modification to the hop schedule - it's hard to find good Centennial these days so I'd change that to Amarillo...

Cheers!

I thought I just had bad luck with 500g I bought of the 2020 crop, very lemony.
Two Hearted ale and Janet´s Brown ale I brewed earler this year were so poor compared to when I previously brewed them.
I just orderd a kilo of the 2022 crop from a different supplier, hopfully they are better :oops:

@Group W that beer looks great, will try one of these myself but might have to sub the flaked rice with something else.
Minute rice or just pre-cook some normal rice.
Should it also not be fermented with a lager yeast to be called a cold IPA?

Last edited:
I thought I just had bad luck with 500g I bought of the 2020 crop, very lemony.
Two Hearted ale and Janet´s Brown ale I brewed earler this year were so poor compared to when I previously brewed them.
I just orderd a kilo of the 2022 crop from a different supplier, hopfully they are better :oops:

@Group W that beer looks great, will try one of these myself but might have to sub the flaked rice with something else.
Minute rice or just pre-cook some normal rice.
Should it also not be fermented with a lager yeast to be called a cold IPA?
Lager yeast is not required per Kevin Davey per below. He suggested Chico yeast as a substitute. The primary criteria are 20-40% rice or corn, Pilsner malt, IPA ABV, DH in primary and crisp and clear. It’s not an IPL. Lager yeast is okay if fermented at ale temps. But I chose Chico yeast @ 60*. It’s not an official style so we can play with the interpretation. I went to Wayfinder last year and tried the flagship brew. They seemed to lean toward being a lager house and the cold IPA I tried was a little to the IPL side to me. Brewing this beer was a fun adventure for me, but it won’t be replacing my regular WCIPAs.

https://beerandbrewing.com/brewer-s-perspective-the-thinking-behind-cold-ipa/

Lager yeast is not required per Kevin Davey per below. He suggested Chico yeast as a substitute. The primary criteria are 20-40% rice or corn, Pilsner malt, IPA ABV, DH in primary and crisp and clear. It’s not an IPL. Lager yeast is okay if fermented at ale temps. But I chose Chico yeast @ 60*. It’s not an official style so we can play with the interpretation. I went to Wayfinder last year and tried the flagship brew. They seemed to lean toward being a lager house and the cold IPA I tried was a little to the IPL side to me. Brewing this beer was a fun adventure for me, but it won’t be replacing my regular WCIPAs.

https://beerandbrewing.com/brewer-s-perspective-the-thinking-behind-cold-ipa/
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Happy Thanksgiving. This Cold IPA recipe is locked in now.
79% Pilsner
17% Flaked Rice
4% Corn Sugar
Hops are Chinook, Centennial & Citra. Warrior for bittering.
Chico Yeast @ 60 degrees.
Brewed this Jan. 11, Bottled February 17. I like it as well as any beer I have ever made. Better than many I have purchased. Sort of like a lighter bodied NEIPA.
76.8% Viking 2 row extra pale (6 lb)
19.2 % Rice (1.5 lb)
4% Cane sugar (5 oz)
34/70 yeast @ 63 degrees.

3.5 gallon recipe.
CTZ 60 minutes to bitter, 32 IBU ( I used a small amount of Centennial to make up the IBUs as I was short on CTZ)
2023 Galaxy, 2022 Mosaic and Centenial (20/35/35 grams) whirlpool @170* 15 min
Galaxy/Mosaic/Sabro (22/22/10 grams) dryhop 24 hours at 60* after 3 days cold crash to 50*

For the rice I put 1.5 lb of jasmine rice in a 6 quart instant pot. Filled with water to the maximum line and used the 30 minute porridge setting. I put it on in the evening and left it until the next morning. After 30 minutes the instant pot kicks into the keep warm setting. The porridge was 150* and pretty thick in the morning. I added a teaspoon of amylase enzyme (not gluco) to the rice and withing a few minutes it had turned into a thin gruel. I mashed that like normal with the extra pale malt.
1711237838592.jpeg

Sorry about those of you with new snow. :cool:

OG 1.060, FG 1.008. My OG was .003 lower than anticipated, I attribute that to the rice but I am not sure. Ended up around 7% ABV according the Brewers Friend alternative calculator.

Interesting idea on the Chico yeast. I've tried a few cold IPA's with lager yeasts and... They end up having flavors I don't care for (which is a separate subject not for here, that I am searching for a lager yeast I actually like). I had been sort of thinking this recipe had to have a lager yeast otherwise it was just an American Pale Ale that used pilsner malt.

In the end I guess if it's got the super crisp / clean thing going on...

Back