Cold Crashing Weirdness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
So I put my new Anvil 7g fermenter in my 34* fridge yesterday to cold crash. It has the S type airlock on it. Went and checked this morning and it was still exhibiting positive pressure. In fact, it was bubbling more than when I put it in the fridge. Is that strange? Fermentation temp was around 65*. I would have thought it would have went into negative pressure. And the starsan in the airlock would have been on the other side of the airlock, not the side where it was outgassing during fermentation.

I had the same thing happen recently. Best guess is that picking up the fermenter and moving it shook up the stuff and caused som off gassing or trapped bubbles in the trub area.

If you don't have a lot of headspace full of air to contract when it chills it shouldn't try to pull in outside air. Moving the fermenter releases more CO2 also as mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back