Cold Crashing Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a TIPA that I am going to cold crash by pumping the beer from the conical fermenter through a 304SS coil sitting in a keezer at 25*f and back into the fermenter! I use a similar method to cool my wort but haven’t tried it on the cold side yet! Please let me here your concerns or if anyone has used this method before?

Thank you for your feedback. Oxidation is not a concern because it’s a closed system that will be purged with CO2 first. As for plugging the coil, it could happen, 25f should not pose a problem, but maybe I should adjust the temperature starting at 50, 40, 30, and finally 25! Stepping down the temperature over a number of hours, should negate any plugging from insta freeze. Anything else please let me know!

For me, the purpose of cold crashing is to drop yeast, hop matter, and other undesirables into a tight blob in the cone so that it can be dumped and/or to allow the pick up tube to transfer clear beer to the keg. What is your goal with this method? It seems to me that a bunch of the aforementioned undesirables will be forced back into suspension...

For me, the purpose of cold crashing is to drop yeast, hop matter, and other undesirables into a tight blob in the cone so that it can be dumped and/or to allow the pick up tube to transfer clear beer to the keg. What is your goal with this method? It seems to me that a bunch of the aforementioned undesirables will be forced back into suspension...
I’m thinking that after the initial yeast/Trub dump, if I can get the temp down and the beer can sit for a couple hours, then the remaining Trub will sink to the bottom. I forgot to mention that this is a murky TIPA that will still have sediment floating around. I cold crash this style only to get rid of the hop matter.

In my experience, sitting for a "couple of hours", with or without a temp drop will not make a significant difference in the amount of trub in suspension. Days, not hours. You have a keezer...why not transfer the beer into the keg, cold crash in the keezer, allow the beer to mature for a few weeks (usually necessary for a TIPA anyway), Then when ready to serve, just waste the first pint and enjoy? You can carbonate during this brief lagering/cold crashing period.

What I described is probably standard practice for those that don't have temp control during fermentation. If you do have temp control, of course you can cold crash in the fermentor under a bit of pressure and transfer clear(ish) beer to the keg. Then carbonate/condition and serve.

Just my 2 cents...Cheers!

Unless the "pumping" is performed excruciatingly slowly (probably well under an ounce per minute) there's no way a coil being air-cooled is going to significantly drop the temperature of a fluid running through it...

Cheers!

Unless the "pumping" is performed excruciatingly slowly (probably well under an ounce per minute) there's no way a coil being air-cooled is going to significantly drop the temperature of a fluid running through it...

Cheers!
The method I use to cool my wort is to pump it through a SS coil in an ice bath. I can go from 212f to 64f in 30 minutes. It’s the same concept of a plate chiller but in a larger format. So dropping from 70f to 25f in a matter of hours should not be a problem. I have never had a problem with off flavors or bacteria. I have a 40 plate chiller, but getting it clean is a nightmare and no matter how much caustic I use to clean it, left over residue keeps coming out. I understand that the method I use is unconventional, but it works! I’ll post an update once I transfer the beer to a keg.

When I cold crash I do it in a keg, under pressure and I drop the temperature very slowly - two or three degrees per day. The whole point is to drop suspended trub and yeast out - and that's not going to happen with a pump pushing and churning the liquid. The reason for chilling slowly is to not shock the yeast, which can create undesirable flavor compounds.

In my experience, sitting for a "couple of hours", with or without a temp drop will not make a significant difference in the amount of trub in suspension. Days, not hours. You have a keezer...why not transfer the beer into the keg, cold crash in the keezer, allow the beer to mature for a few weeks (usually necessary for a TIPA anyway), Then when ready to serve, just waste the first pint and enjoy? You can carbonate during this brief lagering/cold crashing period.

What I described is probably standard practice for those that don't have temp control during fermentation. If you do have temp control, of course you can cold crash in the fermentor under a bit of pressure and transfer clear(ish) beer to the keg. Then carbonate/condition and serve.

Just my 2 cents...Cheers!
Just an add on to this, get floating dip tubes and then follow the above process. You don't have to dump any beer as you won't encounter the trub/sediment until you get to the end!

Thank you guys for your input! I really appreciate it. I always cold crash over a 24 hour period. On day ten of fermentation the beer is transferred and cold crashed from 70-75f to 25 -37f with no control. I have never had any off flavors. II have enjoyed beer from the top craft breweries in the U.S.. I always compare those beers to mine in order to see what I can do to create better beer.

Totally not the same as air cooling a coil...

Cheers!
The thermal mass of a coil submerged in 26F liquid glycol is not even a close match to air chilling that same coil in a 26F keezer. It's been quite a while since 'Thermodynamics 101', but if memory serves (doubtful at best, I acknowledge) it's probably orders of magnitude. The density of water is nearly 1,000 times that of air, so its capacity to absorb heat through transference of media in a closed coil is probably proportional. There's likely an online calculator for that🤤.

I did a yeast/trub dump this morning which is day seven of fermentation. So, Sunday (day ten) I will start the cold crash in the method I described and let you all know the outcome and any process changes!

One yeast, one style, two data points. Shocked yeasts CAN release undesirable flavor components. Speed is not worth the risk to me.
What you reference says cold crashing speed does not matter or an I reading this wrong?

And at what point (speed) is yeast shocked? I do 4 degrees a day, but have no idea where I got that. I do mostly lagers and other light beers kolsch.

Last edited:
Yes it's really a thing. What's a week to a 2-month lagering period anyway :)
I have never heard of this. I image there are lots of things I have never heard of. Can you point to any documentation that cooling too fast can have a negative affect on flavor? Is this only related to certain yeast? I have never really done much with lager yeast.

I have never heard of this. I image there are lots of things I have never heard of. Can you point to any documentation that cooling too fast can have a negative affect on flavor? Is this only related to certain yeast? I have never really done much with lager yeast.
I can find no real studies on this. I have seen articles on yeast response to cold and the creation of certain proteins and other effects. Have yet to see anything that shows what the potential off flavor would be or whether slowly cold crashing would have any less impact on the yeast response process. Looks like another side by side test is happening on this lager I am brewing.

I've been "soft crashing" ale yeasts from 66~68°F down to 50°F overnight before doing a two day dry hop, then hard crashing to 36°F overnight and holding for another day before kegging. Keeping the durations short is intended to reduce the potential for oxidation issues but perhaps it also minimizes the potential for quality issues attributable to damaged yeast to manifest.

Otoh, getting from fermentation temperature down to lagering - and then leaving the beer and yeast together for protracted periods (weeks to months) - seems much more likely for quality issues to arise...

Cheers!

I've been "soft crashing" ale yeasts from 66~68°F down to 50°F overnight before doing a two day dry hop, then hard crashing to 36°F overnight and holding for another day before kegging. Keeping the durations short is intended to reduce the potential for oxidation issues but perhaps it also minimizes the potential for quality issues attributable to damaged yeast to manifest.
So you're advocating a fast (hard?) crash to prevent damaging yeast? I do a slow crash (4 degrees per day), but only because I was told this many years ago.
I think we are looking for the science as to which, if either way matters.

The thermal mass of a coil submerged in 26F liquid glycol is not even a close match to air chilling that same coil in a 26F keezer.
Stick a bucket of coolant in the keezer the night before. Put the coil in the bucket. If you really want to cold crash this way, that is.

So you're advocating a fast (hard?) crash to prevent damaging yeast? I do a slow crash (4 degrees per day), but only because I was told this many years ago.

Again, if I'm just trying to drop an ale bright-er just before packaging, I think doing it quickly makes more sense than a prolonged process...

Cheers!

Stick a bucket of coolant in the keezer the night before. Put the coil in the bucket. If you really want to cold crash this way, that is.
Probably won’t do the trick. When the warm beer in the coil starts transferring heat energy into the cold water in the bucket, the temperature of the water will rise fairly quickly as both liquids attempt to reach stasis. The cold air in the refrigerator doesn’t have sufficient mass or thermal potential to re-chill the water rapidly enough to be effective.

My glycol chiller tank capacity is a little under 3 gallons of 50/50% glycol/water at 26F. When running only one 7gallon fermenter from 50F down to say 40F, the tank temperature increases to the 28F hysteresis set point for the compressor to kick-in in less than a minute. The tank temperature will continue to rise another 7-8 degrees before it starts to decrease back toward 26F, and the beer temperature starts to trend slowly toward the target setting.

The glycol in the chiller tank is cooled by direct contact with copper refrigerant piping. The heat transference is rapid and highly efficient. Overnight air cooling of water in a bucket is neither of those, and what cooling capacity there is would be quickly expended.

Trying to cold crash the way I described did not work! That is to say, it is a very inefficient way to cold crash. The heat generated by the keezer drives up the ambient temperature in the room by about 7 degrees. Therefore an air conditioner has to be used to cool the room.
I was able to drop from 75f to 58f but the small keezer could not keep up. I placed the coil in a 5 gal bucket with a fan circulating the air. Stasis between the beer temp and the keezer temp causes the temp in the keezer to rise by about 8 degrees.
If I used my larger/newer keezer in the same manner, vented the heat generated by the keezer and ran the AC unit the beer could have been cooled to 35f.
As I said, this process is very inefficient in terms of time and cost! Thank you to all for your feedback and advice. Cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back