Cold crashand split or split all stirred up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSNCO

Reaction score
I have a 2L starter of WYeast 3068 on the stir plate. I've built it up over the past 10 days, cold crashed drained the fermented wort at about day 5 and then added new wort and put back on the stir plate.

I've got time to brew a dunkelweizen and a hefeweizen tomorrow.

Should I just cold crash this starter tonight, decant and then pour half the slurry in each batch.

OR

Let it stay on the stir plate all mixed up and pour half into one batch and the other half in another?

OR

Make one batch and then the second batch from the yeast cake of the first batch.

Both are about the same OG.

I have a 2L starter of WYeast 3068 on the stir plate. I've built it up over the past 10 days, cold crashed drained the fermented wort at about day 5 and then added new wort and put back on the stir plate.

I've got time to brew a dunkelweizen and a hefeweizen tomorrow.

Should I just cold crash this starter tonight, decant and then pour half the slurry in each batch.

OR

Let it stay on the stir plate all mixed up and pour half into one batch and the other half in another?

OR

Make one batch and then the second batch from the yeast cake of the first batch.

Both are about the same OG.

You make 5gal batches right? I would go with option 2, by decanting you throw away alot of perfectly healty cells.

Option 4, and what I will be doing tomorrow in fact....

Split the starter now all mixed up, then chill and decant the smaller jars.

I have a 3.5 liter starter going on a stir plate for two 5.5 gallon batches. Tomorrow I'm going to split them between 2 two quart mason jars and cold crash. When I brew, I'll decant each and pitch.

Back