Cold crash/pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushunter

Reaction score
I'm am new to brewing and have a mangrove jacks apple kit brewing since about 8 days ago. My plan is to take it out soon and use carb drops to fizz it l, but I have plenty of questions as I am still tryna learn what I can. The bubbling is very slow now,

so do I bottle and add carb drops, then cold crash/pasteurize(I don't want the cider to be too dry)?

Will the bottles (plasctic) pop?

Will my bottles be left with grit in the bottom?

If i leave all the sediment in the carboy when i bottle, will there be no yeast in the bottles to "eat" my carb drops?

What order do I do everything from now?

Any help would really be appreciated
Thanks.
Jonathan.

Cold crashing won't kill or stop the yeast, it will slow it down remarkably though. In my experience, it has never worked for me. Pasteurising will be your best option to retain some sweetness.

Plastic bottles will be fine assuming that they are not over pressurised. Not sure how pasteurising will affect the plastic though, maybe try the search function to see if anyone else has done it.

Yes there will be sediment in the bottom, golden rule of home-brew is use a glass and leave the last half-inch in the bottle.

Yes, there will still be plenty of yeast in solution even though you can't see them visually.

Wait until fermentation is stable (using gravity readings), and assuming you are pasteurising, backsweeten to your taste and follow the how-to in the stickied thread.

Hope that helps.

You can take gravities readings till you get at 1.000 or below. that means your worth have no more sugars for the yeast to eat. Then, when you bottle use just one plastic bottle (glass leaves no off flavors and keeps the O² out) to know when the carbonation is done and then cold crash it. If you dont like your cider dry, you can backsweeten and use sulfites yo kill the yeast. If you're using sulfites you must to carbonate by kegging.
Greatings from Chile!

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it. I bottled half of it yesterday and added 2 carb drops to some and 1 to some. They're not gonna blow up any time soon judging by squeezing the bottles. I'll figure out what I'm gonna do in order to stop the yeast too. I'll leave the other half to age in the carboy and see how that goes. Getting excited now :) thanks again.

Latest posts

Back