Cold conditioning bottles -- do I need to keep'em cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingedcoyote

Reaction score
Quick bottle conditioning question. After letting my first batch carb/condition in bottles for 3 weeks at room temp I moved them to the fridge, where they've remained for almost a week. Looking forward to the first taste of "all the way done" homebrew, but it'll take a while to drink 5 gallons and they're occupying a huge portion of our (single, normally food-dedicated) fridge. If I take some of them out and leave them at ambient temp for a while, will I have to give them a whole nother week in the fridge to re-clarify or will the yeasties stay safely stuck at the bottom?

Actually, bonus question if you're still reading -- now that winter has come to NC the room temp is less 70ish and a lot more 60ish. When my next batches get to the carbing stage, will I need to let them go for considerably longer?

Each time you move a bottle, you will probably resuspend some of the flocculated yeast, but generally it's not a problem at all.

I move beers into the fridge and drink them the same day or next, often. You can age them at room temperature, but beer does age faster at room temperature so keep that in mind.

Carbonation will probably slow way down in the lows 60s vs 70s. I've actually moved my bottles to random warmer places when that happens- on top of the fridge, near my space heater pointed at my feet, etc. :D

Most will still carb up, but I've had a couple of batches that would NOT carb up under 65 degrees.

Sorry for late reply -- thanks Yooper! Good to know I can free up some fridge space. As for the winter carbing... guess I need to but a space heater!

Back