Cold Conditioning Biére de Garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Campbell

Reaction score
Last Sunday (Feb. 20th) I brewed this Biére de Garde outside in the garage in my turkey fryer. I hit my mash temp. 154 dead on and everything went fine, I chilled it down to roughly 70 and then stored it upstairs in the extra bedroom where it stays in the high 60s all the time. I did have an issue with the Wyeast smackpack where I may have smacked it too hard and a tiny bit leaked out. But I don't think it affected anything and it started fermenting the next day.

Just this past Sunday (Feb. 27th) I racked it into a secondary and am storing it outside in the garage to cold condition for the next few weeks. I came out this morning (Tuesday) and noticed it was a lot darker then before. The color on the bottom is the brown it was when I first racked it and now the top looks almost black to me. Sorry for the picture quality, I used my camera phone:

downsize.jpg

closer.jpg

This is my first time doing cold conditioning. I'm not fully concerned, I'm just curious why it looks so dark? I had assumed when I cold conditioned it would clear up and look brighter than it had when I racked it. Anyone with more experience know why this is?

Here is my recipe below:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: 3725PC
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 19
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 12
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at high 60s

9.3125 lbs. Belgian Pale Ale
3 lbs. Caramel Vienne
.5 lbs. Briess 2 Row Caramel 10
.5 lbs. Caramel Munich
.5 lbs. Turbinado Sugar
1 oz. Saaz, US @ 60 min
1 oz. Saaz, US @ 30 min

First, I can never tell the color of my beer when its in the carboy - it always looks dark. Secondly, I'm not familiar with Caramel Vienne and Caramel Munich, but I assume they have a color rating, like other caramel or crystal malts?

The SRM of the Vienne is 22 which I'm using more of at 3 .lbs and the Munich is 56 SRM, of which I'm only using .5 lbs. Hopefully the final beer won't be as dark in the bottle as it is looking now.

Back