Cold condition killed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I cold conditioned my milk chocolate stout for about 2 weeks to smooth out the flavors. I took it out and the beer was super clear no cloudiness there was a small layer of yeast at the bottom by the way I cold conditioned in the secondary. So I let it sit out for about a week so it cam to room temp and now I want to bottle. My question is did I kill the yeast at those cold temps or did I pull all the yeast out of the beer. So do I re-pitch at bottling for carbonation or will it be ok or should I just shake up the carboy there is yeast at the bottom but this will cloudy the beer.

I cold conditioned my milk chocolate stout for about 2 weeks to smooth out the flavors. I took it out and the beer was super clear no cloudiness there was a small layer of yeast at the bottom by the way I cold conditioned in the secondary. So I let it sit out for about a week so it cam to room temp and now I want to bottle. My question is did I kill the yeast at those cold temps or did I pull all the yeast out of the beer. So do I re-pitch at bottling for carbonation or will it be ok or should I just shake up the carboy there is yeast at the bottom but this will cloudy the beer.

It'll be fine to bottle. You still have plenty of yeast in the beer to carbonate. Don't shake it up! The whole point of the secondary and cold conditioning is to smooth it out and have the "crud" drop out.

Chances are that unless you actually froze the yeast its just dormant/sleeping... If you rack a tiny bit of the cake with the brew it should be enough to carbonate... That is, if there's still not enough left in suspension to carbonate... It might take longer than usual though... IMO youre better off just leaving an ale in primary until its ready... This also works for porters and stouts... The yeast will do a LOT for you, if you just give it time... At least that's what I'm encountering the more I brew... IME giving the brew longer in primary does wonders... Try it next time... 4-6 weeks on the yeast has pretty much become my minimum/standard for brews with OG's under 1.070...

You might want to think about kegging in the near future.

Kool thanks man ya I didn't want to shake it up that would defeat the whole purpose of cold conditioning.

Golddiggie said:
Chances are that unless you actually froze the yeast its just dormant/sleeping... if you rack some of the cake with the brew it should be enough to carbonate... it might take longer than usual though... IMO youre better off just leaving an ale in primary until its ready... this also works for porters and stouts... the yeast will do a LOT for you, if you just give it time... At least that's what I'm encountering the more I brew... IME giving the brew longer in primary does wonders... Try it next time... 4-6 weeks on the yeast has pretty much become my minimum/stanard for brews with OG's under 1.070...

So when do u recommend using the secondary beers over 1.070 cuz I just brewed NB Golden Dragon and it's been in the primary for 2 weeks now

Pretty much a good idea to listen to what Yooper says.. She's a font of brewing wisdom. Same with Revvy and several other "old timers".

No secondary unless for extended aging or adding flavor elements that work better/best off the yeast... for bigger brews, plan a couple of months (or more) in primary before doing anything with them. A simple taste test once the actual FG is reached will let you know when to do something else...

Latest posts

Back