Coffee Porter / Help with extract -> AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tularac

Reaction score
I have brewed this porter a few times now... via extract. I am now an All grain brewer and this will be my first time doing a conversion recipe.

The extract version was as such:

6 oz. chocolate malt
2 oz. black patent malt
0.5 lb. crystal malt, 120° Lovibond
0.5 lb. wheat malt
0.5 lb. victory malt
7 lbs. Alexander's pale malt extract
1 oz. Chinook hops (13% alpha acid), for 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade hops (5.5% alpha acid), for 10 min.
1 oz. Crystal hops (4% alpha acid), for 2 min.
1/2 tsp. Irish moss, for 20 min.
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast
2oz Creme Brule' coffee beans (Course Ground)

The picture below is my conversion.
My questions needing answered are:
Should i add more or less hops for full boil volume utilization?
I've swapped the black patent with the unhusked carafa. In the calculator, there was Carafa I, II and III. I assume these adjust lovibond but which would be a best fit?
I've calculated the american 2 row conversion to replace the LME, But going with all grain now, do i need to make any adjustments to my other grains?

Cheers guys and gals :mug:

Coffee Porter.jpg

That looks correct, keep the specialty grains the same and sub out the light DME wtih the base malt of your choice. Regular Carafa III would be a sub for black malt at around 500L, the unhusked is the same color but debittered. Not sure that's what you want though at 2 oz probably not a noticeable difference. Seems light on the roasted grains to me for a porter but since you've made it before I won't argue.

Back