CO2 Tank Stand Plans or Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to have my CO2 tank inside my keezer, but now I moved it outside. So, I'm a little worried that someone will topple it over when accessing my Perlick beer faucets. I have 5, 10 and 15 lb tanks.

Does anyone have plans for building a stand to keep the CO2 tanks upright? Or, can someone recommend a commercially available one? I really can't attach this to a wall. I need a free-standing version.

Thanks!

I took some 3/4" plywood and made a sleeve for my cylinder. I doubled up on the bottom thickness so it would have more weight to keep it upright. Not pretty but it works great.

A restaurant plate stacker works perfect. It even has stainless springs for depth. Attach to 3/4 plywood or real wood base and it stands perfect. Go to the scrapers or a restaurant supply place. I got mine from a camp and made a beer dispenser out of stainless frame and a CO2 stand from the stacker!

I have a sort of mini version of what I'd do if I wanted a way to prevent toppling CO2 tanks. It's essentially what I think @SteveHeff is describing above. Mine is for holding the O2 tank for oxygenating wort, but the principle applies. Couple of pics below showing it, and it would be easy to do one for a CO2 tank. Depending on where it stood, I might move the "sleeve" to a corner or, if free standing on 3 or 4 sides, put the sleeve in the middle.

oxygen1.jpg
oxygen2.jpg

The plywood sleeve on a large base would work for me. I'll have to make adjustable for the different diameters of the tanks.

Wish I’d done this a while ago...I toppled my tank over and destroyed the regulator.

I safety chained my 20# CO2 and 10cu ft oxygen cylinder to the side of my keezer. My oxygen cylinder holder is a repurposed toilet paper holder with a flow meter attached.

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering how many LPM of O2 you used when oxygenating. I just got a flow meter but haven't used it yet. I'm going to have to copy your stand too to mount it.

Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering how many LPM of O2 you used when oxygenating. I just got a flow meter but haven't used it yet. I'm going to have to copy your stand too to mount it.

I'm thinking it's about 1-2 LPM but the meter I bought wasn't the fine-control one, it goes up to, IIRC, 10 LPM, whereas I'd have liked one that went up to, say, 2 LPM. So I'm just pushing O2 through the wand, enough that I can see it break the surface, then do that for 60 seconds while swirling the wand around.

Seems to work.

fwiw, I built a few "tank nests" for my brewery, here are a couple of them:
tank_nest.jpg

tank_nest_jr.jpg

I built two of the junior versions as there's a third CO2 system in the brewery.
I pretty much free-handed them as they're too simple to need a drawing. Fabricated from clear pine, the bottom is two layers - a solid layer with a second, "holed" layer on top to hold the bottom of the cylinder(s) - then a top with the same hole(s).
I have a pretty cool adjustable "flying cutter" I use on my drill press to cut the holes, otherwise I would have used a saber saw with a pilot hole...

Cheers!

Okay, I finished my CO2 tank stand based on comments here. I used scrap 3/4" exterior plywood. The base is 18" square and the right angle uprights are 12" high by 7". This should accommodate my 5 lb, 10 lb, and the 15 lb tanks. The 15 lb tank is in the pics. I used biscuits to join the right angle on the uprights and screwed it to the base from the bottom. I used mini tie downs from Home Depot to secure the tank to the uprights.

20180902_101935_edit.jpg
20180902_101940_edit.jpg
20180902_101949_edit.jpg

fwiw, I built a few "tank nests" for my brewery, here are a couple of them:
View attachment 585393

View attachment 585394

I built two of the junior versions as there's a third CO2 system in the brewery.
I pretty much free-handed them as they're too simple to need a drawing. Fabricated from clear pine, the bottom is two layers - a solid layer with a second, "holed" layer on top to hold the bottom of the cylinder(s) - then a top with the same hole(s).
I have a pretty cool adjustable "flying cutter" I use on my drill press to cut the holes, otherwise I would have used a saber saw with a pilot hole...

Cheers!
This happens to be EXACTLY what I was looking for, and once again day_trippr came through! Now, I am NOT an experienced woodworker, although I do have a drill press. What kind of "fly cutters" can cut the large diameter holes which would be needed for 5, 10 and 20# tanks, and who carries these? Many thanks!

I have a "General" branded fly cutter identical to this:

1614442447780.png

Max hole size is 7-7/8", big enough to cover up to 20lb steel cylinders. Practical max material thickness is an inch.
I've had it so long I cannot remember where I got it, if I had to guess it was a Sears Craftsman carry back in the 80s, but I believe I've seen them in big box diy stores...

Cheers!

I have a "General" branded fly cutter identical to this:

View attachment 720243

Max hole size is 7-7/8", big enough to cover up to 20lb steel cylinders. Practical max material thickness is an inch.
I've had it so long I cannot remember where I got it, if I had to guess it was a Sears Craftsman carry back in the 80s, but I believe I've seen them in big box diy stores...

Cheers!
Thanks! This is great, as I was looking for a safe and cheaper alternative than buying or borrowing a router.

Coincidentally, while awaiting your reply, I stumbled across the below video, which presents a master class in how to use this tool to achieve outstanding professional results. All I could think of was "whirling blades of pain and death"! 😱 I think I will stick with a drill press and proper safety gear!

Back