CO2 bottle reconditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I picked up this old steel CO2 tank on craigs this past summer and it was out of hydro (year 2000) but it was still half full so I kept using it. It had about 5 coats of paint on it since the first recert date was like 1983. I decided to take it bare. I used some 150 grit on the angle grinder and it took all the paint and minor rust off in one pass.

One coat of auto primer, a light sanding then two coats of metalic silver. SWMBO gratiously cut out the stencil for the Overbrook Brewery. Now I just have to get it hydro'd and cross my fingers that it doesn't fail and erase all my work.

No before pic but;
co2tank.JPG

Not to hijack thread;
Is there any truth to the story that steel tanks can give off a metallic rusty flavor to the beer vs using aluminum tanks? I was told this by the LBS. Reason asking I have five 20# steel Co2 bottles in storage the last 8 years still under pressure. I know way out of hydro but heck they were collected free from the dumpster on a restaurant remodel job.

I have no idea. I tasted the gas in this bottle when I got it to see if it was tainted. Now realize you can asphixiate yourself if you breathe pure co2. What I did was just let the gas flow into my mouth. If you swish your tongue around, you get the idea of what it tastes like and then breathe out your nose. You'll get the aroma. If it's unpleasant, maybe you're on to something.

BrewBeemer said:
Not to hijack thread;
Is there any truth to the story that steel tanks can give off a metallic rusty flavor to the beer vs using aluminum tanks? I was told this by the LBS. Reason asking I have five 20# steel Co2 bottles in storage the last 8 years still under pressure. I know way out of hydro but heck they were collected free from the dumpster on a restaurant remodel job.

I am not poking at you but that sounds rediculous. Aluminum has replaced the steel tanks cause they are lighter and rust free.

At the very least, I say get one hydro'd and hook it up. If you taste a difference then sell off the old tanks to some brew buddies or on craigs list.

I have a double conundrum with my 35# tank. First off, it NEEDS some sanding/wire wheel treatment and a new paint job. The base is all rusty and any moisture that gets in the kegerator condenses on the tank and leaves rust stains on everything it touches. Secondly, the pressure just dropped off from about 1100 (cold) to 900, so I think I'll be needing a refill in the near future. I'm fully expecting to have to pay for testing and re-certification, so that's no big deal, but as I'm inspecting it, I see "PEPSI" stamped on the tank. I'm thinking I might run into trouble trying to get it refilled if the gas co. thinks it's hot. :(

I do have a 10# bottle that is in good shape and doesn't have any "property of" stampings on it, but I'd hate to have to revert to such a small bottle and thus have to get it refilled more frequently.

I'd take the tank to one or two filling joints and ask them what you can do. Maybe they'll take it in trade as I keep hearing happens (not in my area). If they'll have a problem filling a pepsi stamped tank, they'll tell you that right away and you can decide if you want to spend the time reconditioning the tank. Personally, I have no problem filling in the pepsi stamp with some JB weld and painting over it. Of course, maybe you did really steal it from Pepsi, but I wouldn't go assuming that. You probably bought it used from someone who got it from someone else, etc.

That's how I got my coke tank. The Ebay guy didn't mention it and I wasn't about to ship it back. No problems getting the hydro cert or a fill though.

Latest posts

Back