DIY two different styles tap handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
This is a re-post from a few years ago, but I wanted to update the pictures because photobucket is being a turd...

I wanted some cool tap handles. At first I wanted ones that had the name of the beer that I brewed on it, but no dry erase or chalkboard. After deciding that that's one helluva collection I would amass, that idea was discarded. Then I thought I wanted a few cool commercial ones-that idea was vetoed. Then I decided I wanted a couple fictitious beers. The choices were many, but I finally decided on 'Pawtucket Patriot Ale' from 'Family Guy' and 'Duff' from 'The Simpsons'. Close runner up and on the block next are 'Shotz' from 'Laverne & Shirley' and 'Alamo' from 'King of the Hill'.

Now that I know what I want, I just need to find it. Good luck on that. I could not find either of those for sale anywhere, much less one I liked so I decided to make them. So now I just needed some plans to make a couple, right? Nope. A good scouring of the internet machine delivered less than nothing.

I know I wanted an older style one for Pawtucket and a more modern one for Duff. We'll start with Duff.

I started with three pieces of poplar glued up to get a chunk about 2 1/2" square, 11" long.

th1.jpg

I knocked the corners off with the table saw then rounded it off. Then I made some reference marks at critical points like the bead, top, and thickest part.

th2.jpg

I got a label badge for the Duff logo at Rockler http://www.rockler.com/beer-tap-component-hardware. To make sure it fits nicely, I turned the blank down to the diameter of the back of the badge.

th3.jpg

After getting the right diameter, I turned that shape that best resembled a tap handle. Sanded to 400 grit and off to the paint shop.

th4.jpg

Now, I got pretty into the next part so I lacked in the picture department, but next I screwed in the hangar bolt that came with this guy, also from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/beer-tap-component-hardware-beer-tap-ferrule . I put a couple coats of red paint on then I found a picture of Duffman, cut it out and spray adhesived him to the handle. To finish it off I put several coats of spray auto body clear coat on. Put the badge on. Glued a Duff logo to it (also printed out), then BAM! done.

Next I worked on the Pawtucket. This one was just two pieces of walnut glued up to get a blank about 1 ½" square and about 6" long. It does not need to be as long as the Duff because this is going to be a three-piece handle and we're making only two of them here.

th5.jpg

I didn't really have a plan for the profile, I just kinda went for it. I knew the top had to be longer than the bottom and the center needed to be turned down to 5/16" for dowels to meet the holes in the middle.

th6.jpg

As far as the image goes, I know I wanted something old looking to go with the look of the handle. I found this video on youtube that instructs you how to transfer inkjet printer images to wood.

[ame]

Here's all three pieces:

th7.jpg

After transferring the image of the logo I found on the Goog (both sides), it was time to trim out the edges with a bit of walnut to hide the edges.

th8.jpg

I threaded a threaded nut into the bottom of the bottom piece and drilled holes in the top and bottom of the image before gluing it all together. I didn't want this one too glossy so I hit it with a few coats of semi-gloss lacquer.

th9.jpg

It took a few days (a lot of dry time) to complete these and I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I can't wait to do more.

th10.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Back