Cloudy Wits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctvLS

Reaction score
First the Background:

So I've been toying around with some new Wit Recipes and ended up with a couple (3) batches of very cloudy beer.
I'm pretty sure its the Yeast S-33 because after the first batch i made a pair of tests batches one with S-33 and the other with WB-06 and WB batch cleared up just fine, its just the S-33 doesn't seem to like the Wheat content in my beers because the only beers that have ended up so cloudy are the Wheats.
Its been a hot here in Mexico and where i keep the beers is cooler than ambient but probably 72 - 74, and the beer has been in primary for almost a month (will be month this June 27)

So first of all, is this normal? Should i stop using S-33 on my Wheat beers? or is it just the temperature?

I took an Hydrometer reading and got something like 1.020 which is pretty high i normaly hit 1.012. Is the yeast slacking off? Is the reading off because of so much suspended yeast? That is a thing that has been rolling around my mind, maybe the high reading is just telling me i have a normal very cloudy beer.

and lastly. I'm gonna clear up the batches with gelatin, will keep u guys posted on that and how its working out for me.

Wits are cloudy by style, when I make them I do what I can to get that to happen. The 1.020 FG is a bit high, but I haven't heard of suspended yeast throwing off a hydrometer. Was the batch extract?

Wits are cloudy by style, when I make them I do what I can to get that to happen. The 1.020 FG is a bit high, but I haven't heard of suspended yeast throwing off a hydrometer. Was the batch extract?

All grain, one was 40% pale ale, 50% malted wheat, and 10% instant oats, the second one was something like 50 50 pale ale and wheat

Sounds like you did everything right. ;)

Your wit should be cloudy and a lot of people have trouble making it so. You should be happy!

:mug:

Its just so different than my other beers that i was scared :D

About the hydrometer, it does make sense that it reads higher if there is yeast floating around, i mean it adds to the density, if you could take all the yeast from the beer it would be a lower FG (not saying that u should do that, im just trying to explain my point)

If it is really cloudy and full of yeast, I can imagine that it would. Your typical wit-cloudiness probably would do it, but I'm not looking at your beer so I'm just guessing. Obviously since a hydrometer is reading the amount of solids in solution, and since yeast is a solid, it would affect the reading somewhat.

Back