Clarifying homebrew beer question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used beer since I felt using water would be "watering down" the beer. Like when you over reach your target OG you can add water and then pitch your yeast and be ok. But if FG too high you just can't add water and it be the same as your intended FG.

As far as "shaking"...I was assuming you wanted the gelatin to be thoroughly mixed in the beer to bind with all the "stuff". If it's not mixed well how does it bind with "all" the stuff? I've read where normally you pour in the gelatin mix and then rack the beer, which would kinda mix the gelatin anyway?

How exactly does the gelatin "mix" and do it's thing? Somehow it has to interact with "all" the beer to achieve uniform clarity.

How exactly does the gelatin "mix" and do it's thing? Somehow it has to interact with "all" the beer to achieve uniform clarity.

My understanding is that as it slowly sinks, it also spreads out (laterally). So even if you had poured it in just one tiny spot, it will still spread out. As it spreads and sinks, it picks up yeast and some proteins along the way, which is how it clarifies.

The problem with starting out homogenous, as I see it, is that the gelatin near the bottom doesn't encounter/pick up everything it could before it reaches the bottom.

makes sense...so you think I should add the gelatin after the keg is filled and not while filling it?

makes sense...so you think I should add the gelatin after the keg is filled and not while filling it?

That's the way I do it. And I think that's the way most do.

Easy-peasy.
Reduce keg pressure to a few PSI, and give it the gelatin.
Sometimes I inject it into the conical. Either way works fine.
And very little O2 gets in.
IMG_0346.JPG

Someone help me understand the logic here. He either misspeaks or I misunderstand. He boils the water he intends to bloom the gelatin in advance to remove oxygen. Once he finishes the gelatin/water mixture and adds to his "fermenter", he states to purge off the CO2 and agitate it to mix the gelatin with the beer. Is he actually doing this in a fermenter or in a pressurized, carbonated keg? Maybe he's using a pressurized fermenter, but if you follow his video, you're going to introduce a bunch of oxygen into uncarbonated beer, which makes his boiling of the water in advance a complete waste of time.

I currently have 5 gallons fermenting and plan to cold crash, add gelatin, then transfer to a keg after 24 hours. I plan to mix the gelatin and simply pour into the fermenter and reinsert my airlock to minimize oxygen exposure.
Yes this guy is introducing oxygen after he tried to remove it. Even if you do as I mentioned in post 23 there is always going to be a slight oxygen pick up if your just dumping in.

Someone help me understand the logic here. He either misspeaks or I misunderstand. He boils the water he intends to bloom the gelatin in advance to remove oxygen. Once he finishes the gelatin/water mixture and adds to his "fermenter", he states to purge off the CO2 and agitate it to mix the gelatin with the beer. Is he actually doing this in a fermenter or in a pressurized, carbonated keg? Maybe he's using a pressurized fermenter, but if you follow his video, you're going to introduce a bunch of oxygen into uncarbonated beer, which makes his boiling of the water in advance a complete waste of time.

I currently have 5 gallons fermenting and plan to cold crash, add gelatin, then transfer to a keg after 24 hours. I plan to mix the gelatin and simply pour into the fermenter and reinsert my airlock to minimize oxygen exposure.

In his video boiling beforehand seems pointless because he's pouring the cooled water afterwards, letting it sit, the mixing it with a wisk . Pre-boiling for sanitation I can understand. I don't think it's doing much for O2 in this instance.

In his video boiling beforehand seems pointless because he's pouring the cooled water afterwards, letting it sit, the mixing it with a wisk . Pre-boiling for sanitation I can understand. I don't think it's doing much for O2 in this instance.

Hence the reason for my question. He specifically states around 0:50 that he boiled to remove all the oxygen. Then everything he does thereafter not only introduces oxygen, but seems to do so on steriods.

Some things I see and read just seem counterintuitive (case in point), but since I'm relatively new to the hobby, I don't want to just assume anything.

For what I get, he suggests to open the fermenter, pour the gelatin, close the cap, purge air with CO2 so as to greatly reduce the oxygen inside the fermenter, and then agitate in order to spread the gelatin evenly on the beer. That shouldn't raise the oxydation of the beer (if not very slightly) because the gas that the beer incorporates is mostly CO2. Besides, he suggests that the gelatin is mixed so he doesn't want to really incorporate anything in the beer, the agitation should be gentle, not "splashing", he suggests using a pump which is a way to mix the beer without splashing it.

I think the worry about spreading the gelatine evenly is superfluous, the traditional way British brewers fine their casks is to just throw the gelatin in the barrels.

For what I get, he suggests to open the fermenter, pour the gelatin, close the cap, purge air with CO2 so as to greatly reduce the oxygen inside the fermenter, and then agitate in order to spread the gelatin evenly on the beer. That shouldn't raise the oxydation of the beer (if not very slightly) because the gas that the beer incorporates is mostly CO2. Besides, he suggests that the gelatin is mixed so he doesn't want to really incorporate anything in the beer, the agitation should be gentle, not "splashing", he suggests using a pump which is a way to mix the beer without splashing it.

I think the worry about spreading the gelatine evenly is superfluous, the traditional way British brewers fine their casks is to just throw the gelatin in the barrels.

OK, now I get it. He says "purge the fermenter of CO2" and what he really means is "purge WITH" to get rid of the oxygen. It wasn't making any sense to purge the fermenter OF CO2, then agitate, which would do the opposite of what he intends.

gelatin is a great clarifier. you can just dump some bloomed gelatin right into the primary fermenter. give it a day or two, and it should be much more clear without totally dropping out the yeast you need for priming.
that kinda implies that you just bloom it in some water and then dump it in, no heating to melt it. Is that what you do?

I wonder if you could just open a keg, sprinkle a packet in and close it back up...would it bloom, spread out on top, slowly dissolve, sink and collect everything?

that kinda implies that you just bloom it in some water and then dump it in, no heating to melt it. Is that what you do?

I wonder if you could just open a keg, sprinkle a packet in and close it back up...would it bloom, spread out on top, slowly dissolve, sink and collect everything?
bloom in warm water to dissolve, then into the keg/fermenter/etc.

i haven't tried, but i would be hesitant to sprinkle it in. it seems like the powder likes to clump and settle to the bottom of a glass very quickly, so i can only assume it would do the same i a 'bigger glass' like a keg.

when i pour the powder into some water it just blooms and stays on top. I haven't let it sit long enough cold to observe if it then sinks fast.

After it blooms I immediately zap it a few times and stir it up. Haven't experimented with just sprinkle cold and sit...hmmm

It won't work if you sprinkle it cold. I had to go in hot and dissolved in a liquid. Gelatin doesn't dissolve if the solution it's dropped in isn't hot, so dropping it in the cold-crashed beer just won't work.

I don't understand why it's difficult to understand gents. Boil water. Dissolve gelatin. Pour into cold-crashed beer. Done.

Back