Clarifying Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksiepgm05

Reaction score
I finished my esb and wanted to put it in a secondary with some finings to clear the beer up, but decided to bottle it since all i have is a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I need a smaller one right for a five gallon batch??? what do you guys think....since i am sure it wont work in the bigger carboy.

The concern with putting a 5g batch into a 6.5 g secondary is all that head space with oxygen in it. You could flush it with CO2 if you have it available or transfer to secondary when most, but not all fermentation is done as that will create a CO2 blanket on top of your beer and flush the air and oxygen out. Personally I have stopped transfering ales to a secondary, I just leave them to condition in the primary for 2-3 weeks after fermentation is done. By then they are usually clear and ready for bottling.

GT

Fine it in the primary. Do a search here to make sure you won't strip the yeast out with your finings- you need the little guys to carbonate your beer. I know gelatin strips the yeast out and can hamper bottle conditioning, but I haven't tried any post-boil clarifying agents to see for myself. Carboys are relatively cheap, so you might consider picking up another one so you can condition your batches for longer- you beer will repay your efforts.

I use gelatin from time to time to clear my beer. I have pretty much given up on it though. Its too tough to siphon around all the gelatin globs when I move it from the secondary to the bottling bucket. I just give it a few extra weeks in the secondary now and that works fine.

Greg

Back