Citra Ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey all,

working out a recipe for a super juicy pale ale/ipa, gonna keep the IBU below 30 on this one, but want the big citra aroma flavour rather than bitterness.

So far here is what i have

3kg Pale Malt
2kg Vienna
500g Crystal 30

10g magnum 60 mins
35g citra 10 mins
65g citra dry hop for 7 days.

Im unsure whether to go with Safale US 05 or 04. Suggestions are welcome.

it will be a 23 litre batch or 6 US Gallons.

Boiling 28 litres or 8 US Gallons.

Mash will be 150 degrees F.

Id really like to replicate the East coast juicy Pales and IPA's but i dont have access to the vermont yeast or anything similar.

US-05 is a bit more attenuative than US-04 and will likely produce a more yeast-neutral, less estery, more hop forward beer than US-04.

Considering you used the term "juicy," I'd recommend using US-04 and increasing your 10 minute Citra addition to 50-60g.

The percentage of crystal malt in an IPA really boils down to preference and mash schedule. I'd recommend 5-8% Crystal and mashing around 153-155 for some residual sweetness to compliment the US-04 & Citra. The slightly sweeter/estery/fruity finish of US-04 means your calculated IBU's can be a little higher than 30 for a perceived result of 30IBU.

But there are lots of ways to skin the cat. Good luck!

Back