Cider clarity and when to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harritchate

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently made a modified Caramel Apple Cider following the lead of UpstateMike's recipe

3 Gallons Zieglers Apple Cider no preservatives
2 Gallons Organic Apple Juice no Preservatives
2lbs Dark Brown Sugar
1 Packet US-04

Caramel sauce is prepared for secondary/conditioning...

I forgot the nutrients and ended up putting them in 14 days into the ferment. I am now at 21 Days and my Gravity is about 1.004 and I can still taste some of the sweetness (and its delicious but rather thin). The cider is no where near clear. It is a Muddy Yellow. I know that I will take some additional time to clear based on the use of pressed cider, but at what point should I rack? Once I hit 1.000 or allow it to clear up and then rack?

Will the addition of Frozen AJ Concentrate (only using 2 cans) and Caramel Sauce help with bringing a little body to this? Should I add some Maltodextrin when this is racked?

I appreciate your responses as this is my first cider.

-Ben

I am now near 2 months in and my cider is still very dark. Brought it out of the basement that was around 60 degrees and put on a first floor closet hoping the change in temp would cause some more fall out of the suspended junk... what should I be looking to do next? How do you use pectin for clarifying cider?
Fermentation had been complete for over a month

I am now near 2 months in and my cider is still very dark. Brought it out of the basement that was around 60 degrees and put on a first floor closet hoping the change in temp would cause some more fall out of the suspended junk... what should I be looking to do next? How do you use pectin for clarifying cider?
Fermentation had been complete for over a month

Pull out a little sample of the cider (a sanitized turkey baster works great) and put that in a sanitized jar. Add 1 teaspoon of pectin enzyme per gallon to that sample, and stir it well. Then gently add it back to the cider.

One thing that really helps to clear the cider is colder temperatures. Wait about two weeks or so, to see if it starts clearing, and then consider some finings like sparkelloid (a vegan fining) or others. Then, if you can put the cider someplace cooler (rather than warmer), the cider will generally clear. A drop of 10 degrees may help a lot, but if you can get it someplace even cooler, that will make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back