Choosing an electric system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskBrewer306

Reaction score
Hi all. What's considered the best of the electric systems? I haven't done all grain yet, but I'm committed, and saving for a system. I'm attracted to the Anvil 10.5 so far. Seems less complicated, does 110 and 240, and fits my t500 distilling lid. Any experience with them?

Also, I don't have a lot of time to committ to the mashing process, and go through a LOT of beer in the summer. Is there a system that could do 40L (two 1/8 kegs) of wort at a time?

Thanks all - this forum has been super helpful.

I have had 240v systems in the past from Electric Brewing, Brew Boss and Spike and I am now running dual Blichmann BrewCommander 240v controllers with (2)15g BoilerMaker Boil Coil kettles and it is BY FAR the best I have ever used compared to the other 3. The power, ease of use and color touchscreen is killer. Plus the BrewCommander controller has way more built-in functionality than any PID based controller by a wide margin.

There are many systems that meet or exceed your requirements.

None of them are considered best of the best, all have pluses and minuses.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/aio-or.728609/#post-10290823
I don't have a lot of time to committ to the mashing process

These systems don't speed up the mashing process they ease the process by providing a single container system with pumps, mash baskets, PID controlled temperature regulation and wort cooling.

If you mean speeding up the brew day, that can be done in various ways but in general will be between 3-5 hours for most all-grain brews. These systems contribute to that by allowing a timed pre-heat of strike water.

There are many systems that meet or exceed your requirements.

None of them are considered best of the best, all have pluses and minuses.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/aio-or.728609/#post-10290823

These systems don't speed up the mashing process they ease the process by providing a single container system with pumps, mash baskets, PID controlled temperature regulation and wort cooling.

If you mean speeding up the brew day, that can be done in various ways but in general will be between 3-5 hours for most all-grain brews. These systems contribute to that by allowing a timed pre-heat of strike water.

By not a lot of time, I mean I can't commit that many brew days compared to how much beer gets consumed in my place during the summer. If I could do double batches (double as in fill 2 19.5L kegs) at a time that would be helpful.

I've only done all grain once but it was for whiskey and it wasn't that much of a success...

Is anvil a reasonable choice? I don't think the 10.5g can make me 10g of final product can it?

I have had 240v systems in the past from Electric Brewing, Brew Boss and Spike and I am now running dual Blichmann BrewCommander 240v controllers with (2)15g BoilerMaker Boil Coil kettles and it is BY FAR the best I have ever used compared to the other 3. The power, ease of use and color touchscreen is killer. Plus the BrewCommander controller has way more built-in functionality than any PID based controller by a wide margin.
I'm off to the internet to learn more about this!

The Blichmann BrewEasy systems are turnkey electric systems with capacities for 5 gal batches up to 20 gal batches. They are quite pricey however. You could also do 10 gal batches in an Anvil 18 gal system, for a much more reasonable price. I don't know if the other AOI suppliers have 18 - 20 gal systems.

Brew on :mug:

I agree wholeheartedly with Exception13. The Brewhardware BIAB system is well thought out, efficient, compact footprint, easy to use and easy to clean. I like the fact that none of the components are proprietary giving you lots of flexibility should a failure occur. The system can be easily tweaked if need be but works like a charm as is.

To fill two corny kegs from one batch... a 10 gallon batch... I would get something with at least a 20 gallon boil kettle. A 15 gallon kettle might do it but you may only have 1 or 2 gallons of space to spare. I have a 15 gallon electric HERMs system from High Gravity Brewing and if I try to do a 10 gallon batch which requires 13+ gallons into the boil kettle things get a little dicey. It's very nice rig though.

To fill two corny kegs from one batch... a 10 gallon batch... I would get something with at least a 20 gallon boil kettle. A 15 gallon kettle might do it but you may only have 1 or 2 gallons of space to spare. I have a 15 gallon electric HERMs system from High Gravity Brewing and if I try to do a 10 gallon batch which requires 13+ gallons into the boil kettle things get a little dicey. It's very nice rig though.
I don't BIAB. Sure, with my 15 gallon kettle and a 12.5 gallon boil with propane I had to watch out for boil overs. But now using a 20 gallon kettle and a 18 gallon boil it's much less of a worry (very close to the brim.) With only 5500 watts it's hard to. Maybe if I never turned it down to a set boil.

Back