Choose Tomorrow's Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scdigger

Reaction score
I have three Northern Brewer extract kits on hand. I'm going to brew one when I get home tomorrow from work. This will also be the first beer I ever keg.

You guys choose my next brew!

Irish Red
Pale Ale
Brown Ale

Go! Sorry, cell phone flipped the image!

image.jpg

The typical canned answer is 'brew the brown ale'. The reality is among those 3 it won't matter much.

Good beer requires 5 things:
1-pitch enough yeast/proper pitching rate (you'll have that if you have dry yeast)
2-maintain proper fermentation temps - biggest mistake of most new brewers, can't be emphasized enough!!!!!!!!! Without knowing the details all of these would do well at 65-69 degrees.
3-sanitation, few things suck worse than pouring 6 weeks of work down a drain
4-good ingredients
5-PATIENCE! Leave it alone, let the yeast work. Don't worry with a secondary with these brews pitch the yeast, watch the ferm temps for 7-10 days then don't look at it for another 3 weeks. Using a secondary is NOT a problem here either.

That's my 'canned' new brewer advice.

In theory, answering your question, an APA's bitterness and hop flavors will help hide your flaws, the roastiness of a brown will help do the same. As for the IRA it's the appropriate liquid yeast that provides much of the flavor and I'm guessing you don't have the liq. yeast option. Thus in a sense the IRA will be a nice beer but won't have that true 'Irish' character of commercial examples so if that's what you're hoping for perhaps it's expendable however it's probably the kit most likely to show through rookie mistakes.

So .... go with the brown! ;)
Good luck, have fun, don't fret too much, pay attention to sanitation and ferm temps and you'll be successful.

+2 on brown...then second with 1/2 oz of oak chips soaked in a good whiskey :D
Then add more whiskey to taste at bottling and enjoy your faux-bourbon barrel nut brown ....BOOM!

I vote for the Irish Red Ale.

No reason to go 7-10 days then another 3 weeks.... Final gravity and 2-3 days is minimum, 2 weeks is enough, I like 3 weeks to allow the yeast to finish and flavors to meld. Longer won't hurt though. I often get lazy and leave my beers in primary for more than a month. They come out fine.

One other important thing I will mention (even though I have only brewed a single batch) is to make sure that you take your pot off the heat when you add the liquid malt extract to your brew. If you don't it will sink right to the bottom of the pot and scorch on the heat. I did that in my first batch and saw that there was a bit of scorched sugar on the bottom of the pot. I hope it doesn't affect the finished flavor of my oatmeal stout too much. Good luck!

Just realized a typo made it sound like this is my first ever brew! Nooooooo!

But, it will be the first batch I ever keg!!!

Thanks for all the input! Looks like it will be the brown ale...More votes???

If you can extend your brew day or have enough equipment to do more than one at a time, brew 2... or all 3.

It is great to go to the fridge and have several to chose from. At one point I had more that 12 beers (bottled) to choose from.

I ordered the same three kits during NB's Columbus Day sale. :mug:

I ended up brewing the SMASH on Veteran's Day. I plan on leaving it in primary for a few weeks because my kegs are full for now. I don't want to start the dry hop too early.

Back