Chocolate Raspberry Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicasAbacus

Reaction score
I'm making my first non-kit batch. I am combining a couple recipes to create a Raspberry Chocolate Imperial Porter. Is this to ambitious of a beer or a first non-kit attempt

5 gallon batch

6.6 lbs Dark Mail LME
2 lbs Wheat DME
1lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Dark Malt
.5lb Crystal Malt
.5lb Brown Sugar
2 oz Molasses

1 oz Mosiac Hops 60min boil
.5 Mosiac Hops 45min boil
.5 oz Mosiac Hops 15min boil
.5 0z Chinook hops 5min boil

8oz Coco powder 5min boil

2 lbs Frozen Raspberries (Secondary)

I am also soaking 2oz of toasted american oak chips in 16oz Raspberry Rum. I will put the oak chips

Is there too much going on? I've probably looked at 30-40 recipes and took a little from each one to create this one. What are poeple thoughts. I would also like to hear your thoughts about my hops selection and biols schedule. I am a new brewer and always open to construcitve criticism.

You're right, there is a ton going on in that beer. It'll be a big, bold, flavorful beer. If you've been researching for a while and can justify everything you're planning to put in it, and know why each ingredient is there, then go for it.

I would personally change the wheat DME to light, because I don't like wheat extract. I would also consider cutting the chocolate malt a little (8oz maybe), since you're using dark LME anyway. I'd also put that 45 min hop addition at either 60 min and the 5 min at flameout. Those changes probably don't matter much but it'll simplify your day. But like I said, if you put each ingredient on the list because you know what it'll add to your beer, then go for it.

I was planning on using WLP028 which is an alternative to Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale. Will this yeast be able to handle all those fermentables?

In Designing Great Beers, Daniels recommends a pound per gallon for stronger flavored fruits like raspberries and up to two pounds per gallon for more subtle fruits like blueberries. With an Imperial Russian Stout with ingredients like molasses, I think only two pounds of frozen raspberries will get lost and not come through. I would recommend bumping that number up to at least 5 lbs and with that style of beer perhaps even consider 6 - 7 lbs.

I agree with Darwin, only I would ramp it up even more. Unless you have some frozen raspberries lying around, you may want to consider Oregon fruit puree. Two 3 lb cans might do nicely for this.

I don't have experience with the Oregon purees, just frozen fruits, but I've heard very good things about the purees. They're usually more cost effective and more available than bulk frozen berries and I've heard others have had very good success with them.

Back