Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
Last year I decided to brew Stones Bitter Chocolate Stout. It is a More beer recipe. Since the damn thing took 6 months to carbonate, I've decided to brew this soon to be ready for winter.

On top of the many issues I had that day (2nd all grain batch, oats really ****ed up the sparge, on top of that the garage door was acting up, and me, Mr fix it all after a few homebrews, decides to mess with it and unwound the spring, locking me inside with a lit burner, lol) I had a MASSIVE amount of trub in my carboy. I posted a picture and no one could tell me why.

Recipe as follows:

15 pounds 2 row
2 pounds flaked oats
1.5 pounds pale chocolate malt
1 pound black patent
1 lbs black roasted barley
1 pound crystal 15
8 oz carapils
4 oz cocoa nibs.
4 oz willimatette.

Overall, not the cheapest brew, thus, 2.5 gallons of beer lost to trub was super duper disappointing.

Where is this massive amount of trub coming from and how if possible do I prevent it ?

This massive amount of trub also happened with Denny's vanilla porter if that helps. Don't have the recipe on hand.

I was so drunk when I posted this I forgot about it. No one has any ideas?

Well, "massive" amounts of trub make me think of a ton of cold break and hot break, but that still doesn't explain losing half of your beer to trub! I can't imagine why you'd get that much trub, unless you racked early and didn't let the trub compact a bit. Otherwise, I got nothin'.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I would love it if someone could explain what happened.

It's a dark beer, but did you vourlauf or check for grain particles as you drained your mash tun? Also, I have had big time trub issues before due to not properly straining the hot/cold break, as yooper mentioned.

Yes i did vorlauf. Once upon a time someone me mentioned it might be protein from the oats.

i had a similar issue with a cocoa stout i made, i attributed the loss to absorption by the cocoa powder, it messed with my hot break too...

Back