Chocolate milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David chew

Reaction score
just about to start my first chocolate milk stout. I have great mountain water and average temp is 18 to 20 c here in Brazil. My question is can I add the vodka/chocolate during the primary fermentation, ie after about 3 weeks? Or do I wait longer . I don't have a secondary fermenter.

Add it after primary is completed. You don't need to use a secondary vessel. Just add it to the fermenter.

I add cocoa nibs soaked in vodka to the primary fermenter after about a week, and then leave in there for at least two weeks. Usually longer because I’m not always able to find time to bottle as soon as I’d like, but I’ve found the longer they stay in primary the more chocolate flavor results.

I add cocoa nibs soaked in vodka to the primary fermenter after about a week, and then leave in there for at least two weeks. Usually longer because I’m not always able to find time to bottle as soon as I’d like, but I’ve found the longer they stay in primary the more chocolate flavor results.
Thanks, I'll do the same and let you know how it goes

How much? Tks

I made a 2.5 G batch and used 4oz of nibs. Soaked in enough vodka to cover them all for a few days or so. I also used 4.5oz unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in boil and some chocolate malt in the grain bill.

I made a 2.5 G batch and used 4oz of nibs. Soaked in enough vodka to cover them all for a few days or so. I also used 4.5oz unsweetened cocoa powder with 10 mins left in boil and some chocolate malt in the grain bill.

That sounds like a lot of chocolate! My reference is that I use 4oz of coffee in some dark brews and find that 4oz volume to look big physically.

It does sound like a lot, I had started with lesser amounts but felt the chocolate flavor was too weak. This amount seemed to work out well, not sweet, nice chocolate roasty flavor. Would like to try making a coffee stout too.

You did not try to mix chocolate and coffee? I think it will be interesting. I will write down this thought and try later in the case.

20181129_180039_1.gif 4 oz of nibs , 3 to 4 vanilla beans scraped and soaked in bourbon/ vodka or your preference for about 7 days in a dark closet . Then after fermentation dump all the contents in and leave for 2 weeks then keg or bottle . This was for a 5 gallon batch

Back