Chimay Red Clone recipe, or How to harvest and grow yeast from a bottle of Chimay Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madswiller

Reaction score
I am still kinda new to home brewing. I have been reading up on yeasts and I am curious: how can I harvest and grow Chimay yeast from a purchased bottle? I want to try and brew a clone recipe of it and I would really like to use their yeast. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chimay bottles with different yeast then what they ferment with. Probably to stop people from doing just that.

Trappist breweries generally bottle condition with the same yeast they ferment with. I'm pretty sure people have successfully harvested it.

That being said, their yeast is sold by Wyeast and White Labs if you want to save yourself the trouble.

zachattack said:
Trappist breweries generally bottle condition with the same yeast they ferment with. I'm pretty sure people have successfully harvested it.

That being said, their yeast is sold by Wyeast and White Labs if you want to save yourself the trouble.

Do you know what names they go under? If it is the same, then that does sound a bit easier. Thanks

Back