Chilled vs pressure fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkwing

Reaction score
I’ve recently converted a keg to a pressure fermenter. Late this week I should get a taste of the results. However I’m curious as to the differences benefits of each.

The extra benefits aside of the chiller for cold crashing etc. what are the pros and cons of the two methods for fermentation? Which do you use and/or prefer?

Last edited:
This is a very subjective topic. It has been my experience that I can ferment lagers at 57°F under pressure and tick all of the boxes in the glass in just 21 days for beers that normally take much longer. I very much copy macro lager procedures from start to finish and use slightly warmer temperatures and increasing pressure through the ferment. This is only my opinion and I have honed my tactics for my preferences.

Aren't most questions about beer subjective? So you do both. Do you think they both contribute? I was sort of under the impression one replaces the other to a large degree.

I don’t have experience but I’ve been interested lately. As I understand, one does essentially replace the other. The yeast respond to the increased pressure by producing fewer of the things they do when it’s too warm. That allows you to warm them up which increases their activity. I’m not sure why you’d want to ferment under pressure and also at cold temps—seems like you’d be leaving benefits in the table but to each their own.

Latest posts

Back