Chill Haze Starter & Remove trub or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplegreen

Reaction score
Hey folks. Two part post. First part im making a multi step, multi pitched beer. An imperial IPA first pitched on standard california ale yeast (stepped up twice to 4 litres to bring initial maltose down and set the esters then step up the dextrose with a second pitch of Super High Gravity Ale yeast (white labs). well you can see where this is going.

I was able to step up the Cali ale no problem. I cold crashed it once and decanted it. Pitched it and it went to town no issue. Now im at the first step of my second batch of yeast. The gravity came down as expected so i cold crashed it once more. Its been 14 hours so far and im getting a oddly dense haze in between clear settled out area at the top and the yeast cake at the bottom. (see photo).

What im most worried about is decanting and throwing a ton of great yeast that just hasnt' settled down the drain.

now a few disclaimers.
1) I boiled the water for maybe 5 mins (tap water)
2) i boiled the wort for 10 mins
3) I've only been crashing for 14 hours.

I kinda think i know the answer to my question i just need validation

Second question, i need to rack said beer into buckets so i can start feeding its doses of sugar, its currently in a 24 gallon conical. I want to get a clean transfer and i've got some trub in the bottom of the conical. The beer is at 1.030 on its way down to 1.020. But it is still in active fermentation.

Consensus on if its safe to rack off the cake into co2 purged buckets?

starter.JPG

took it out of the fridge this morning. (24 hours) poured out some see if it would decant. The haze started flowing out as well. Put it on the counter to rest. Its still a bit chilly but the haze has over taken the top clear seperation. So its just yeast cake and haze.

Thoughts? Pour out the haze and move on with it already?

Wanted to follow up on this in case anyone finds it in the future. This yeast just does this. There's no other way to say it. I left this in the fridge for 2 weeks while on vacation. I made marks on the jug before i left and when i returned i still had some haze in the middle above the yeast cake and below the obvious wort line but my volume dig grow from the marks i left it at. So basically there is no way to get WLP099 chill haze to stratify except some time and acceptance you're going to lose some soldiers in the haze.

In the end i needed a 32 oz jar just to store the harvested yeast.

Latest posts

Back