Chili/ Jalapeno beer recipes to share?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KirkC

Reaction score
I have had a request for a Jalapeno or chili flavored beer for a friends B-day the end of summer. I wanted to check with the group here to see if anyone has a tried and tasted recipe that they would like to share.

I'm thinking pretty light or possibly red ale or possibly a lager with Jalapenos or chilis in the secondary?

I'm thinking pretty light or possibly red ale or possibly a lager with Jalapenos or chilis in the secondary?

is this a question? rhetorical at best

beer with peppers infused is done on a commercial scale as well as with homebrewers world wide. use the search function here ofr google your query and you will find your answer.

Here's my recipe for my experimental Chocolate Mole Porter......It needs more mellowing time, It uses my home made chili Powder and cayenne pepper...It has a noticeable burn and also causes a bit of heartburn...

Next time I brew it though I am going to reduce the Lactose to about an ounce and up the chocolate disks...

2.5 gallon Recipe

Amount Item Type
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain

Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 8.13 qt of water at 170.5 F
45 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min
-- Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.21 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 1.47 gal of 168.0 F water.
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 2.93 gal
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.060 SG with all grains/extracts added

75 min 2.1 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
60 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.25 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 0.50 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 min 0.50 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (2 min) Hops

2.5 disks Abuelita Brand Mexican Hot Chocolate + 1 tsp my chili powder in Mash tun. 1/4 disk @ 40 and 1/4 disk + 1 tsp Cayene pepper @ 2 minutes.

I recently brewed a Porter (AHS's London Porter mini mash kit) and added about 6 or 7 (I think) ancho chilis (dried) at flameout and removed once the wort was cooled. I just opened my first bottle last night after a few weeks of bottle conditioning/carbonating and it was missing much of the chili flavor. I'm thinking it may come back a bit after some aging because when I took a wee taste when bottling, it had the distinct raisin-y, mild heat, slightly smoky ancho chili flavor and scent.

Next time I would add a bit more chili at flame out (esp if using a low heat chili like the ancho). I wasn't really looking for heat, moreso the chili flavor. Another thing I would try is when taking a sample in the fermenter to add a chili-steeped-tea if it seems the chili flavor is not dominant enough.

Brews typically mellow out over time with aging so I would suggest, IMHO, to add a bit more chili than you would initially think.

I'll post the recipe when I'm in front of my brew-laptop later this evening.

I use a typical Ale recipe. I take about 7 anahiem red chili's (roasted) remove the stems, then boil the chili's (seeds and all) in 1 1/2 quarts of water for 20 minutes. Cool it down and put the water and chili's (seeds and skins) in to the carboy, then transfer the beer into the secondary. Use the mild chili's, unless you like beer that burns going down and coming out, then use the hot.

Back