Chili: Discuss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chili: Beans or No Beans

• Beans

• No Beans

• What?

Results are only viewable after voting.
SWMBO made this Wed and said there *may* be some left when I get home tonight.

This pepper debate is fine and well, but lets get back to the most important chili ingredient - BEANS!

image-2530452379.jpg

It seems logical, especially if his supposed bells were hot, and it makes a good story. Unfortunately, even if a ghost chili pollinated a bell pepper, the plant would produce normal peppers, but the seeds of those normal bell peppers would grow into unstable hybrids that would exhibit traits of both ghosts and bells in unpredictable variations.
I've had the same experience here, my jalapenos were abnormally large and my bell peppers were small and brutally hot. Simple old fashioned cross pollination.
Mendel cross pollinated pea plants to produce wrinkled or smooth seed(peas) hundreds of years ago.

I've had the same experience here, my jalapenos were abnormally large and my bell peppers were small and brutally hot. Simple old fashioned cross pollination.

One thing that throws me: I've always wondered why my jalapeno plants didn't set any fruit at all.

One last input from me on this pepper cross pollination debate:

Everything I can find researching indicates that you should not be able to get hotter peppers from the fruit of a sweet pepper that cross pollinates with a hot pepper plant, at least not first generation.

However, the real world says otherwise. The scientists that determined it's impossible (in theory) have never grown their own peppers side by side! MANY people have physically witnessed their sweet peppers turning hot when cross pollinated. This makes sense to me, the sweet pepper flower is pollinated by a hot pepper plant who's DNA says "Make more capsicum!" Thus the sweet pepper fruit is spicier than it would be without cross pollination. I've certainly witnessed this in my own peppers and I've grown peppers every year since about 1985 when I started gardening.

Wife comes home tomorrow after 3 weeks in Arizona helping her Mom. Monday is our 13th anniversary and I thought I would cook something special for her. We got all kinds of cuts of moose and caribou, plus salmon, halibut and sheefish.
What does she want: Moose Chili. But it should be great, she said she is bringing me a mess of chili peppers from AZ. I don't know what kinds yet but I'm excited!

Wife comes home tomorrow after 3 weeks in Arizona helping her Mom. Monday is our 13th anniversary and I thought I would cook something special for her. We got all kinds of cuts of moose and caribou, plus salmon, halibut and sheefish.
What does she want: Moose Chili. But it should be great, she said she is bringing me a mess of chili peppers from AZ. I don't know what kinds yet but I'm excited!

Congrats on the anniversary! I just hope those peppers dont pollinate each other on the trip home :D

We have a vendor that brings us a pot of chili every year around this time. His recipe is insane with over 100 pounds total of 8 different kinds of meat. He does throw in a can of beans though to keep everyone happy.

I have grown peppers every year.

This year alone I grew jalapenos, ghosts, purple jalapenos, shepherds, yellow bhuts, etc.

If you want to run around completely mis-informed KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

I have grown peppers for 23 years.

I consistently grow 15 varieties right next to each other. If it was possible for them to affect each other, I would have the most bizarre mash up of retarded peppers ever.

I grow mild peppers right next to the hottest ones on the planet, EVERY YEAR.

Yeah, I am sure the scientists studied 6 generations of plants without growing any plants.

I have grown peppers every year.

This year alone I grew jalapenos, ghosts, purple jalapenos, shepherds, yellow bhuts, etc.

If you want to run around completely mis-informed KNOCK YOURSELF OUT.

I have grown peppers for 23 years.

I consistently grow 15 varieties right next to each other. If it was possible for them to affect each other, I would have the most bizarre mash up of retarded peppers ever.

I grow mild peppers right next to the hottest ones on the planet, EVERY YEAR.

Yeah, I am sure the scientists studied 6 generations of plants without growing any plants.
Ummm... my experience has been different, as has the experience of several other posters in this thread.

If you want to continue insisting your reality is the only one, knock yourself out. But stop trying to tell the rest of us we're remembering things that never happened. Do you think we're just making it up? Or are we victims of some weird mass hallucination, stretching over decades and thousands of miles?

Speaking of which... you routinely grow fifteen different varieties of peppers at the same time in the same garden? That's a pretty extravagent garden; I'd love to see pictures. I find just the sheer numbers hard to believe, without even getting into the assertion that you've never produced any cross-pollinated peppers while doing so.

But I'm done discussing this with you. I related what happened with my peppers as an amusing anecdote, not as troll bait.

So what have we learned?

• Peppers are weird
  • Chili is good
  • Beans are optional (or heretical)
  • Typing in all caps lets people know you're SUPER SERIOUS
  • Everyone on a forum is a expert
  • You can't win the internet by arguing, but it doesn't stop people from trying

Ummm... my experience has been different, as has the experience of several other posters in this thread.

If you want to continue insisting your reality is the only one, knock yourself out. But stop trying to tell the rest of us we're remembering things that never happened. Do you think we're just making it up? Or are we victims of some weird mass hallucination, stretching over decades and thousands of miles?

Speaking of which... you routinely grow fifteen different varieties of peppers at the same time in the same garden? That's a pretty extravagent garden; I'd love to see pictures. I find just the sheer numbers hard to believe, without even getting into the assertion that you've never produced any cross-pollinated peppers while doing so.

But I'm done discussing this with you. I related what happened with my peppers as an amusing anecdote, not as troll bait.

Well I can certainly vouch for Cheezy's habanero powder, delicious. I have nothing to add to the cross-pollination debate though, no experience in regard.

For those of you growing that many peppers I have pepper envy. Peppers haven't grown very well for me since I bought the house i'm in now... eleven years ago. I've been suffering from hot pepper withdrawal and wish I had a nice pepper farmer for a friend.

As for the debate... lets walk away from it and go back to chili and the inevitable argument over ingredients.

For those of you growing that many peppers I have pepper envy. Peppers haven't grown very well for me since I bought the house i'm in now... eleven years ago. I've been suffering from hot pepper withdrawal and wish I had a nice pepper farmer for a friend.

As for the debate... lets walk away from it and go back to chili and the inevitable argument over ingredients.

Iv'e been a slacker, a package is in the mail!

Get back to discussing chili on a chili thread? Works for me...:)

I have to admit I like the shelby chili mix with diced chuck roast. Or better still pit bbq'd diced chuck roast. When I make up my own chili,I like to pour a good amount of Trappy's in it,then add red pepper & cyenne flakes. And maybe fresh cut rings from a fistfull of hungarian peppers. Add black pepper as well as the usual culprits. Thickening with masa is downright tasty. If you have a cold or flue getting you down,lying in bed & maybe miss work the next day,keep two bowls of my chili down & you'll make it the next day. It worked on my son when he was younger a few times. I guess it's all the different forms of cayenne & other peppers used that seem to kill whatevers in your bloodstream by being astringent.

Guess I am an ass. For me it is like someone saying "In my experience, the moon's gravitational pull has no effect on the oceans, they are totally inconsistent. I don't care what a bunch of scientists say, most of them have never been to the beach!"

I would rather not have my brewing bretheren spouting embellished coincidences as facts.

It seriously is biology 101. If it was that easy to pollute a pepper variety, all peppers on the earth would be a grey medium sized, medium hot pepper. And headbanger's habanero powder would be much milder since it was less than 2 feet from paprikas, super shepherds, etc. I am aghast that brewers would just accept such anecdotal evidence as the TRUTH.

Evidently brewing beer in a house causes the rules of biology to change in that yard! I am gonna publish a scientific paper on this well documented phenomenon!

Guess I am an ass. For me it is like someone saying "In my experience, the moon's gravitational pull has no effect on the oceans, they are totally inconsistent. I don't care what a bunch of scientists say, most of them have never been to the beach!"

I would rather not have my brewing bretheren spouting embellished coincidences as facts.

It seriously is biology 101. If it was that easy to pollute a pepper variety, all peppers on the earth would be a grey medium sized, medium hot pepper. And headbanger's habanero powder would be much milder since it was less than 2 feet from paprikas, super shepherds, etc. I am aghast that brewers would just accept such anecdotal evidence as the TRUTH.

Evidently brewing beer in a house causes the rules of biology to change in that yard! I am gonna publish a scientific paper on this well documented phenomenon!

Cheezy... I understand what you are saying and respect you for it... even in the morning... ;)

Please, lets focus back on the cooking aspect of the thread. That's why I'm here... juicy spicy meat. Maybe with some tomatoes. maybe not. Personally? I like it any way I can get it.

Smile my dear... lets get back to business.

Back on topic:

Tonight I shall hand grind 2 lbs of fresh, lean venison, dice 1 bell pepper, 4 jalepenos, 2 yellow onions and 5 cloves of garlic and start my first chili of the season! Pictures to come!

I want to see chili pictures!

Sort-of-in-the-neighborhood of the topic:

This isn't chili. But I'll post it anyway in honor of my late friend Earl from Texas, who posted on gun forums as ezearln. He used to make it as a side dish for his smoked brisket.

Ranchero Beans

approx 3 lbs red beans + 2 cups black beans sorted, washed and soaked overnight
1 small bottle of cheap ketchup
2 tbls coarse brown mustard
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup DARK Brown sugar
1 tbls cumin
salt to taste
1/2 cup hog trimmings
1 tbls red pepper flakes
1 15 oz can Mexicorn w/peppers
shot or 2 of tabasco (TABASCO) anything else just a waste o'time
place beans in heavy pot cover with water at least 2"over beans
heavy simmer beans stirring regularly for 1 1/2 - 2 hours BEFORE adding seasonings.
Add seasonings reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook an additional 2-2 1/2 hours or until tender.
add warm water to pot as needed while cooking.

Crack sufficient quantity of malted beverages to assuage thirst and enjoy.

Best enjoyed while sitting outside under the oaks whilst playing dominos and swapping lies while smelling the miracle we all know and Love as B-B-Q

cheezydemon3 said:
guess i am an ass. For me it is like someone saying "in my experience, the moon's gravitational pull has no effect on the oceans, they are totally inconsistent. I don't care what a bunch of scientists say, most of them have never been to the beach!"

i would rather not have my brewing bretheren spouting embellished coincidences as facts.

It seriously is biology 101. If it was that easy to pollute a pepper variety, all peppers on the earth would be a grey medium sized, medium hot pepper. And headbanger's habanero powder would be much milder since it was less than 2 feet from paprikas, super shepherds, etc. I am aghast that brewers would just accept such anecdotal evidence as the truth.

image-2026453322.jpg

Melana said:
Personally? I like it any way I can get it.

Are we still talking about chili? ;)
Jayhem said:
Back on topic:

Tonight I shall hand grind 2 lbs of fresh, lean venison, dice 1 bell pepper, 4 jalepenos, 2 yellow onions and 5 cloves of garlic and start my first chili of the season! Pictures to come!

I want to see chili pictures!

Sounds good. I usually cube my venison for chili since I personally don't use ground meat in chili, but either way is good. Please post pictures. It might be the motivation I need to make some myself. :D
I need to make another pot. My wife has been wanting me to ever since the last batch I made about a month ago. I must have the recipe dialed in pretty good now. She wanted more a couple days after we finished it.

troy2000 said:
Sort-of-in-the-neighborhood of the topic:

This isn't chili. But I'll post it anyway in honor of my late friend Earl from Texas, who posted on gun forums as ezearln. He used to make it as a side dish for his smoked brisket.

Ranchero Beans

approx 3 lbs red beans + 2 cups black beans sorted, washed and soaked overnight
1 small bottle of cheap ketchup
2 tbls coarse brown mustard
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup DARK Brown sugar
1 tbls cumin
salt to taste
1/2 cup hog trimmings
1 tbls red pepper flakes
1 15 oz can Mexicorn w/peppers
shot or 2 of tabasco (TABASCO) anything else just a waste o'time
place beans in heavy pot cover with water at least 2"over beans
heavy simmer beans stirring regularly for 1 1/2 - 2 hours BEFORE adding seasonings.
Add seasonings reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook an additional 2-2 1/2 hours or until tender.
add warm water to pot as needed while cooking.

Crack sufficient quantity of malted beverages to assuage thirst and enjoy.

Best enjoyed while sitting outside under the oaks whilst playing dominos and swapping lies while smelling the miracle we all know and Love as B-B-Q

That's it.... I want this. Troy you're on my list of people to visit.

That's it.... I want this. Troy you're on my list of people to visit.

You're welcome anytime...

Here's an old thread you'd probably enjoy browsing around in. It's in a gun forum, but it's about cooking (mostly outdoor). It starts off a little slow, but has quite a few posts from me and from Earl too, along with contributions by several of the other regulars at the time:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/37362-firing-up-barbeque-again.html

If you skim through it, you'll find some good recipes and suggestions.

You're welcome anytime...

Here's an old thread you'd enjoy. It's in a gun forum, but it's about cooking. (mostly outdoor). It starts off a little slow, but has quite a few posts from me and from Earl too, along with contributions by several of the other regulars at the time:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/37362-firing-up-barbeque-again.html

If you skim through it, you'll find some good recipes and suggestions.

Seems like half of the people are banned, including yourself

This thread is hilarious!! I got bored after the first couple pages, but I'm sure glad I caught up!

Cheezy... I understand what you are saying and respect you for it... even in the morning... ;)

Please, lets focus back on the cooking aspect of the thread. That's why I'm here... juicy spicy meat. Maybe with some tomatoes. maybe not. Personally? I like it any way I can get it.

BTW, I got your juicy spicy meat right here. :ban:

Seems like half of the people are banned, including yourself
Yeah. I was there for five years with no problems, then the owner put a guy from Alaska in charge of the site. He's hardcore Tea Party and a loyal acolyte of Sarah Palin, and he grimly set out to rid the forum of liberals and RINO's.

By the time he was done, he had even purged half the moderators. And moderators on gun forums aren't generally flaming leftists....

troy2000 said:
Yeah. I was there for five years with no problems, then the owner put a guy from Alaska in charge of the site. He's hardcore Tea Party and a loyal acolyte of Sarah Palin, and he grimly set out to rid the forum of liberals and RINO's.

By the time he was done, he had even purged half the moderators. And moderators on gun forums aren't generally flaming leftists....

I'm a Masshole and that typically flags me as 'liberal'. I'm a straight woman that brews beer... Think they'd let me participate?

I'm a Masshole and that typically flags me as 'liberal'. I'm a straight woman that brews beer... Think they'd let me participate?

Of course. And you'd probably be pefectly safe as long as you stuck mostly to talking about guns, especially if you threw in an occasional rant about how Obama, Democrats, liberals, Muslims, welfare queens, ACORN, California, illegals, foreigners and George Soros are destroying America. :p

Seriously though, that place was my internet home away from home for years. And I'm still less than thrilled about being suddenly labeled an enemy of America and banned....

By the way, I think I'm in love. Want to come help me with my next batch of saison this weekend? ;)

troy2000 said:
Of course. And you'd probably be pefectly safe as long as you stuck mostly to talking about guns, especially if you threw in an occasional rant about how Obama, Democrats, liberals, Muslims, welfare queens, ACORN, California, illegals, foreigners and George Soros are destroying America. :p

Seriously though, that place was my internet home away from home for years. And I'm still less than thrilled about getting labeled an enemy of America and banned....

By the way, I think I'm in love. Want to come help me with my next batch of saison this weekend? ;)

AG? How big is your.... Batch?

AG? How big is your.... Batch?

Hmmm.....

Well, my batch of beer will be five gallons. And yes, AG. I'm tackling the Shipwrecked Saison recipe I found here on HBT, all the way down to making my own Belgian Candi for it.

Back